IGNORED

Cosmic girl

phantom

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

As the old saying goes...Typical Virgin - didn't go all the way.

There appears to be a good fusion of various parties from all over the world and I hope that the relative success of most of the mission will encourage customers to stay with the long-term vision.

Customers or fans ?

Seems like the focus on the failure is centred around the LauncherOne system that was carried under the Jumbo. It is designed and built in America by Virgin Galactic, and was carried across the Altantic to Newquay. With two rockets to propel it, the first (Newton3) is the main thrust, and the second (Newton4) fires a couple of times to send it into the correct orbit altitude. Inital thoughts are that the Newton4 did not fire properly, possibly due to fuel/Lox supply faults. Hence it did not reach the intended height and dropped back to Earth.

The vehicle and its contents appear to have been caught on a videocam on the ground, burning up on re-entry.

This is not a huge blow to Virgin (or Britain for that matter) but the big issue is cash. Mr Branson is certainly wealthy enough (much more than Mr Lansdown!) but will not spunk millions if he cannot have chance to own more of a slice/be compensated in time. There will be more attempts, have no doubt, but it may take a little longer now.

It must be a tough place to run a high tech project though. If you were in a city centre it would feel all business and focussed on the job at hand, every detail counts. Take it down to Cornwall and it probably feels like 'whatever, maybe I will correct that dodgy wiring tomorrow, let's get down to the beach for some fresh air and chill out, who has the beer?'

They did well to get the 747 off the ground if you ask me.

On 11/01/2023 at 09:04, Open End Numb Legs said:

It must be a tough place to run a high tech project though. If you were in a city centre it would feel all business and focussed on the job at hand, every detail counts. Take it down to Cornwall and it probably feels like 'whatever, maybe I will correct that dodgy wiring tomorrow, let's get down to the beach for some fresh air and chill out, who has the beer?'

They did well to get the 747 off the ground if you ask me.

The new setup, so it should be fine next time.?

And as a side note at one point it wasn't as backward as it is now the US used to routinely store nuclear weapons there, back in the day it was a good place to watch as you'd got odd planes in, P3 Orions, Mirages, F4's, F1-11's, A6's E6's,  I've got a good mate who's family farm sits right at the bottom of the runway, his dad was a massive Concorde fan and had a few Concorde seats, during the annual airshow he'd get them out and we'd sit in them in the garden watching the show?

Detailed technical drawing appearing to show hi tech design for a mine launched orbital vehicle, rocket motors fuelled by high % Cornish IPA and a camper van for low speed long distance progress. Trigger mechanism relies on melting Mr Whippy iced cream, and an A30 based countdown to give constant slow progress towards distant objective. Tracking and guidance system appears to be pasty based

• Haha 2