IGNORED

Rebuild Required - Alex Neil is your man….for Stoke

Davefevs

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just Googled, Potter in the last 6 months or so has turned down Lyon, Crystal Palace and Sweden so it feels a bit fanciful him going to Stoke in their current position.

Can't help wondering if his very large payout from Chelsea would be severely cut if he takes on a new job within a certain timescale. Either that or he really rates himself. Can see him being the next Curbishley, linked with everyone - joins no one. 

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Can't help wondering if his very large payout from Chelsea would be severely cut if he takes on a new job within a certain timescale. Either that or he really rates himself. Can see him being the next Curbishley, linked with everyone - joins no one. 

With you on the first bit, that could be a factor. Didn't get his full contact but reportedly £10-15m, on what terms would depend.

Would be a bit of a waste, he can surely do better than Stoke in their current position anyway. Wonder if Brighton v Crystal Palace antipathy played a role there but I doubt it in reality. Still the game moves swiftly on so if he leaves it too long..

Key word searching, Stoke fans a bit like Derby in the past, seem to have little grasp of Football financial issues.

I'd be surprised if their acquisitions in the summer and there were without doubt many, had a salary below £10k per week as an average.

Then the fees, £15-20m in total?

They also have very high ambitions managerial, Potter, Nuno, Hassenhuttl all desired. 

Their underlying loss before sales in 2021-22 was around £29m.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Key word searching, Stoke fans a bit like Derby in the past, seem to have little grasp of Football financial issues.

I'd be surprised if their acquisitions in the summer and there were without doubt many, had a salary below £10k per week as an average.

Then the fees, £15-20m in total?

They also have very high ambitions managerial, Potter, Nuno, Hassenhuttl all desired. 

Their underlying loss before sales in 2021-22 was around £29m.

Have you been to Stoke?

They elected Jonathan Gillis as their MP, he’s basically a shaved ape, a complete & utter moron.

Vile place full of stupid people, their failure (& us winning there 5 years on the trot) gives me joy.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Have you been to Stoke?

They elected Jonathan Gillis as their MP, he’s basically a shaved ape, a complete & utter moron.

Vile place full of stupid people, their failure (& us winning there 5 years on the trot) gives me joy.

Never had the, ahem, privilege of a trip to Stoke- sounds like I'm not missing much.

Yes they were a major Brexit vote iirc. Politics aside I also enjoy beating them, have a bug issue with their FFP Covid returns oh and Pulis!

Percy says...

Let's recall.

Nuno? More like No no!

Same for Hassenhuttl among other grand proclamations.

Potter, obviously that was a non-starter.

Schumacher from Plymouth. Big blow for Plymouth! They are quite a watchable side, and certainly seem to attack at home.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

Wants to move nearer to home?

Plus the opportunity to have a much bigger budget.

Tough for Argyle, they keep finding excellent managers & having them poached due to their location.

Be very interesting to see who gets it, brilliant opportunity but you have to buy in to how far away it is from everything.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Plus the opportunity to have a much bigger budget.

Tough for Argyle, they keep finding excellent managers & having them poached due to their location.

Be very interesting to see who gets it, brilliant opportunity but you have to buy in to how far away it is from everything.

Stoke are reportedly willing to quadruple Schumacher’s wages, from around £5k per week currently to around £20k. That, and the fact he’s a scouser moving close to home, makes it a no-brainer for Stoke. Could be a good appointment for them. 

10 minutes ago, tin said:

Stoke are reportedly willing to quadruple Schumacher’s wages, from around £5k per week currently to around £20k. That, and the fact he’s a scouser moving close to home, makes it a no-brainer for Stoke. Could be a good appointment for them. 

Plymouth probably could afford in isolation a bump up in wages but overall they don't spend to limits, Stoke can as they're owned by a bloody Betting Company plus varied sponsorships by them too.

No competing on the Geography point either as you say.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Now the Technical Director  Ricky Martin who was presumably part of the long term rebuild has been sacked.

When Neil joined them he said the constant churn of players had to stop. Evidently nobody listened to him. They make Chelsea look efficient in their recruitment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, chinapig said:

When Neil joined them he said the constant churn of players had to stop. Evidently nobody listened to him. They make Chelsea look efficient in their recruitment.

He wasn't keen on too many loan signings from memory hut they still sign plenty. Plus non loanees of course. Bewildering churn.

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He wasn't keen on too many loan signings from memory hut they still sign plenty. Plus non loanees of course. Bewildering churn.

I have to wonder whether the owners are interfering in the process. I look forward to them being the richest owners in League 1 though.

10 hours ago, chinapig said:

I have to wonder whether the owners are interfering in the process. I look forward to them being the richest owners in League 1 though.

Hmmm, Aren't you forgetting someone?

Maybe they'll be the second richest.  😉

• Haha 3

I don’t think there are many protests against the owners like at other clubs but Stoke do seem to be in the same position regardless of who they appoint and buy !

I don’t think they have even been in the playoff race since coming down .

Maybe the Pullis  era was their once in a generation time ?

And it’s back to reality for them like it probably will be for us.

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Looking like a terrible footballing decision by Schumacher, not withstanding a big salary increase.  Very rarely a good move to drop down to a so-called 'bigger' club below you in the league as Alex Neill found out before him. Pivotal games for both him and Liam Manning on Saturday.