IGNORED

Rebuild Required - Alex Neil is your man….for Stoke

Davefevs

Not by any means an anti Pearson comment but honestly think there’s been occasions when we have had a vacancy & he’d have been interested.

His football is pretty ugly on occasion but he certainly knows how to get the most out of what he has & although Stoke have actually been a bigger basket case than us (spending even more to get no further forward) you’d think he’ll eventually do it.

Hilarious that they put subtitles up on it, though, he’s not THAT difficult to understand..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's the time element that stands out and does have huge similarities with us. Perhaps one of the legacies of Covid at this level and below will be a move away from short termism and more periods where managers and coaches are given significant amount of time to implement a plan agreed by the board at the outset.

I'd be all for that. It's all I've ever wanted for us to do and it feels like, despite impatience from a vocal minority of our support, that the club wants to see the whole project through with Pearson. Hope so. 

It’s pretty much why I posted it.

Apart from his dour personality when speaking, he pretty much was as blunt as Nige has been, and I think he’d be saying these things had he come to us for example.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Not by any means an anti Pearson comment but honestly think there’s been occasions when we have had a vacancy & he’d have been interested.

His football is pretty ugly on occasion but he certainly knows how to get the most out of what he has & although Stoke have actually been a bigger basket case than us (spending even more to get no further forward) you’d think he’ll eventually do it.

Hilarious that they put subtitles up on it, though, he’s not THAT difficult to understand..

As would a Warnock would have done 

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@Davefevs it’s all well and good him talking the talk but how are their finances,I’m guessing not as bad as ours 

I think they are right of the boundary like us…they appear to have put more in their Covid allowances than us to ensure they hit the £39m.  But you’ll see them trying to tout players, e.g. Josh Laurent, who only joined 6 months ago.

The fact he arrived on a free, might mean that they can try to move him on at no cost, e.g. no amortisation to impair.  No clubs have nibbled yet.  Sound familiar?

I think he’s laying his cards on the table like Nige, because the situation is a mess.

Had Coates or Lansdown stopped paying the bills I reckon EFL would’ve hit us hard.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

@Davefevs it’s all well and good him talking the talk but how are their finances,I’m guessing not as bad as ours 

They’ve spent a fair bit, not recouped a lot, probably pay a bit more than us, don’t have parachute payments and have similar attendances to us.  I would guess their finances and ours are probably very similar 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They’ve spent a fair bit, not recouped a lot, probably pay a bit more than us, don’t have parachute payments and have similar attendances to us.  I would guess their finances and ours are probably very similar 

They allocated £56m to the Covid losses across 2019-20 and 2020-21 which helps..The fact they habe signed so many PL loans in the last 2 years plus Maja on loan (Bordeaux) and Sawyers (loan WBA), brought Wilmot (Watford) Vrancic on a free post Norwich and Surridge from Bournemouth is different activity to us!

Plus sold and leased back stadium and training ground in 2021, profit £32m! (Impact of born losses and gained averaged due to Covid so consider that £16m).

(I consider the transfer add-back or impairment stuff as for all clubs to be nonsense but it's all subjective).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

I should add for the sake of balance, that Stoke sold Collins for an £11-12m profit last season and whatever they got for Bursik will constitute profit.

One side I veer between different vidws on FFP...on one hand I question them big time, otoh a lot DID leave in summer 2021 and a chunk were legacy contracts, then last Jan Davies sold (signed year 2 of Parachutes), Batth went, Doughty loan and Ince loan out in a swap for Moore for 6 months- the latter 

Delap has also returned to Man City and Etebo was sold at last between summer 2022 and January 2023- so maybe I'm doing Stoke a bit of a disservice but it's hard to say for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Nothing manager, nothing club. Can’t see anyone getting it right there. 

Absolute graveyard for managers.

Michael O’Neill incredible first spell with Norn Iron, failed.

Nathan Jones, excellent job at Luton, failed.

Gary Rowett, pretty decent elsewhere, failed.

Alex Neil is a treble promotion winning manager, failed.

The Coates family spend fortunes on high wages & fees & they are the only club I can think of that serially underachieves more than us.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Nothing manager, nothing club. Can’t see anyone getting it right there. 

Indeed. I genuinely feel for relegated Prem clubs that if you can't bounce back within the time frame of your parachute payments then it becomes an almost impossible task. 

At least Stokies have a decade of Premier league football to look back on, an Fa cup final and an appearance in Europe. Not bad for a club that is similar size to us in fairness.

• Like 7

Just now, GrahamC said:

The Coates family spend fortunes on high wages & fees & they are the only club I can think of that serially underachieves more than us.

We're winning that race on the longevity front..... by a mile

Not long ago they were 10 years at the top

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yet still spent a very decent amount of time in the Prem compared to us GC! 

3 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

We're winning that race on the longevity front..... by a mile

Not long ago they were 10 years at the top

They have been in the Championship now since 2018, & they show absolutely no signs of ever getting back there.

Their finishes since;

16th, 15th, 14th, 14th, 16th.

The first three of these were whilst they were getting parachute payments, truly abysmal.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

They have been in the Championship now since 2018, & they show absolutely no signs of ever getting back there.

Their finishes since;

16th, 15th, 14th, 14th, 16th.

The first three of these were whilst they were getting parachute payments, truly abysmal.

Yes, I mentioned in my first post theyve barely moved, very poor 5 seasons. 

But as a City fan with a Stoke supporting wife I've been to an FA cup final, Valencia away in Europe and seen all the big clubs beaten in the league.

Jealous doesn't come close to how I felt at some of those occasions. To think they went up the year we almost did..... 

• Like 2

Just now, ralphindevon said:

Yes, I mentioned in my first post theyve barely moved, very poor 5 seasons. 

But as a City fan with a Stoke supporting wife I've been to an FA cup final, Valencia away in Europe and seen all the big clubs beaten in the league.

Jealous doesn't come close to how I felt at some of those occasions. To think they went up the year we almost did..... 

Had we been braver in January 2008 well just imagine...

• Like 4
  • Flames 1