IGNORED

new CEO on Radio Bristol

Never to the dark side

14 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I was next to him in cafe Nero in town at the start of the season and said, somewhat creatively.....“have a good season, Zak”.

I think I’m probably partly responsible for his upturn in form. 

One day, when he's club captain and leads us to promotion, and he's asked how he kickstarted his City career, he'll reply, "Well, one moment that sticks in my mind was in Cafe Nero in 2022. I met someone who said something that was to change my life forever..."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

I was next to him in cafe Nero in town at the start of the season and said, somewhat creatively.....“have a good season, Zak”.

I think I’m probably partly responsible for his upturn in form. 

Nah.

Based on what you think old him he blames you for him  putting pepper and salt on his cappuccino! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

@REDOXO Why not? 

A club he’s been talking to about joining when his contract runs out makes a small offer for us to release him now? 

Massengo won’t make a difference to any club at either end of any table. So January really isn’t likely 

However 

If an offer comes in it would be due to more than one club being interested, and if one had a player barely getting in the U21s City would have snapped an arm off to unload him unless Massengo said no. 

So I think it’s very unlikely one has for him. 

Edited by REDOXO

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Massengo won’t make a difference to any club at either end of any table. Do January really isn’t likely 

However 

If an offer comes in it would be due to more than one club being interested and if one had a player barely getting in the U21s City would have snapped an arm off unless Massengo said no. 

So I think it’s very unlikely one has for him. 

I’m not talking about someone making a sudden swoop in the belief he’ll make a difference as a January signing.

Of course he’d have said no to any random bid: he controls his own destiny in a matter of months and he’ll only go where it suits him - and rightly so. 

But, as I understand it, he’s able to now to talk with clubs about his long term future, and reach initial agreement with them that he’ll sign a contract with them in the summer when his City contract is up.

If he’s in that position then it’s not inconceivable that they offer a small sum to get him there now: that would suit everyone concerned I’d have thought. 

Just now, italian dave said:

I’m not talking about someone making a sudden swoop in the belief he’ll make a difference as a January signing.

Of course he’d have said no to any random bid: he controls his own destiny in a matter of months and he’ll only go where it suits him - and rightly so. 

But, as I understand it, he’s able to now to talk with clubs about his long term future, and reach initial agreement with them that he’ll sign a contract with them in the summer when his City contract is up.

If he’s in that position then it’s not inconceivable that they offer a small sum to get him there now: that would suit everyone concerned I’d have thought. 

Obviously no one Massengo wants to go to has made an offer. IMO not one of the ones referred to by Gould. 

if an offer comes in from now on in and Massengo fancies it I’ll drive him/fly him myself

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Obviously no one Massengo wants to go to has made an offer. IMO not one of the ones referred to by Gould. 

if an offer comes in from now on in and Massengo fancies it I’ll drive him/fly him myself

Why “obviously”? This all started with us coming up with ideas who the 4 or 5 might be. There’s a couple of obvious candidates, but there’s a big ? over who the other 2-3 might be and this seems as likely as any other 

Fair enough if you think not, but unless you’re party to some inside information on transfers then neither of us knows. And I’m just suggesting it’s a possibility. 

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Why “obviously”? This all started with us coming up with ideas who the 4 or 5 might be. There’s a couple of obvious candidates, but there’s a big ? over who the other 2-3 might be and this seems as likely as any other 

Fair enough if you think not, but unless you’re party to some inside information on transfers then neither of us knows. And I’m just suggesting it’s a possibility. 

And I’m suggesting it’s not. Any offer and he would be gone if the club had its way. Unless we are holding out for the full fiver it’s unlikely he’s one of those. 

Far more likely there have been offers for a player that is currently doing something. If you are looking for players outside of the obvious three I would look at Vyner and Towler who has gone(who knows if he is included in Goulds 4/5) and another one of our youngsters 

Then you have a plethora of other players that have value despite being close to contract being up. Bentley and Martin have value despite having six months left. 

Massengo right now hasn’t much value.  He’s an under 21 player that no one else wants consistently. The best we can hope IMO is a sell on clause and he turns into the world beater he so obviously isn’t now!

Edited by REDOXO

2 hours ago, mozo said:

One day, when he's club captain and leads us to promotion, and he's asked how he kickstarted his City career, he'll reply, "Well, one moment that sticks in my mind was in Cafe Nero in 2022. I met someone who said something that was to change my life forever..."

I’ve been trying to stay humble about it all season, but the evidence is there for all to see. You’re welcome 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

And I’m suggesting it’s not. Any offer and he would be gone if the club had its way. Unless we are holding out for the full fiver it’s unlikely he’s one of those. 

Far more likely there have been offers for a player that is currently doing something. If you are looking for players outside of the obvious three I would look at Vyner and Towler who has gone(who knows if he is included in Goulds 4/5) and another one of our youngsters 

Then you have a plethora of other players that have value despite being close to contract being up. Bentley and Martin have value despite having six months left. 

Massengo right now hasn’t much value.  He’s an under 21 player that no one else wants consistently. The best we can hope IMO is a sell on clause and he turns into the world beater he so obviously isn’t now!

Fair enough: but the laughing emoji seemed to imply otherwise - that was all I questioned - why it was such a laughable proposition.

I agree he’s got next to no value now with a few months left to run on his contract and with him holding all the cards now too. But I wasn’t  suggesting it might be a sizeable offer - quite the opposite. Gould didn’t say how much - just that we’d had offers.

If he’s going to xx in the summer anyway, xx may well think we’d take a derisory offer just to get him off the wage bill now - and they’d probably be right. 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough: but the laughing emoji seemed to imply otherwise - that was all I questioned - why it was such a laughable proposition.

I agree he’s got next to no value now with a few months left to run on his contract and with him holding all the cards now too. But I wasn’t  suggesting it might be a sizeable offer - quite the opposite. Gould didn’t say how much - just that we’d had offers.

If he’s going to xx in the summer anyway, xx may well think we’d take a derisory offer just to get him off the wage bill now - and they’d probably be right. 

Dave you have to grow a thicker skin! 

Exactly with your comment regarding derisory offers. City would take anything just to have him gone , they haven’t. Leads most to a conclusion to this point I suspect. 

I hope the kid goes as soon as possible, for everyone’s sake. He has wasted 18 months of his career, but I guess he’s earning well for now. 

42 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Dave you have to grow a thicker skin! 

Exactly with your comment regarding derisory offers. City would take anything just to have him gone , they haven’t. Leads most to a conclusion to this point I suspect. 

I hope the kid goes as soon as possible, for everyone’s sake. He has wasted 18 months of his career, but I guess he’s earning well for now. 

My money’s still on Scott, Semenyo, Bentley, Towler and Massengo - and in all five we think we can extract a bit more before the window closes. Although I do think Vyner is a good shout too.

But most of my money would be on none of us ever knowing what’s really happened! 

11 minutes ago, italian dave said:

My money’s still on Scott, Semenyo, Bentley, Towler and Massengo - and in all five we think we can extract a bit more before the window closes. Although I do think Vyner is a good shout too.

But most of my money would be on none of us ever knowing what’s really happened! 

Martin not Massengo is the way I see it. Derby in a promotion chase if they’re allowed to spend anything among others. However anyone offer to get Massengo out gets my vote. 

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

do you have a license to take a fare paying player are you fit to fly and land at night  do yo know where france is?

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Martin not Massengo is the way I see it. Derby in a promotion chase if they’re allowed to spend anything among others. However anyone offer to get Massengo out gets my vote. 

Yep, Martin is a good shout. Maybe even pushes Massengo one down my list! Although I think the same argument that the club would be willing to take almost any offer would apply here too.

I still don’t get the antagonism toward Massengo - but we’ve had that debate elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yep, Martin is a good shout. Maybe even pushes Massengo one down my list! Although I think the same argument that the club would be willing to take almost any offer would apply here too.

I still don’t get the antagonism toward Massengo - but we’ve had that debate elsewhere. 

He’s not very good. But yeah we have!

5 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Nobody would make an offer for HNM unless he had already agrees terms with them beforehand, not gonna happen as any fee a club would offer us will end up being his signing on bonus now anyway.

8 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Nobody would make an offer for HNM unless he had already agrees terms with them beforehand, not gonna happen as any fee a club would offer us will end up being his signing on bonus now anyway.

That depends on if there is more than one club interested. 

I don’t think there is. The conversation earlier was my doubt that he was one of the ones that has an offer 

24 minutes ago, Paulton Red said:

As HNM is under 24 and we offered him a new contract, wouldn’t we be eligible for compensation  from his new club?

if so, we would probably hold out for an offer of more than a fiver or a free uber

or am I mistaken?

I expect we have offered him a contract of equal standing to his current one, purely to get compo (u24 this country, u23 if he goes elsewhere).

If you search PFCC or RSTP above, you’ll see I’ve written a fair bit about compo schemes.

13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He’s not very good. But yeah we have!

I don’t think we’re in a position to judge that. His time here reminds me a lot of Adam Nagy. You don’t get to play more than 50 times for Hungary if you’re “not very good” at second tier level. But we rarely saw much in Nagy that demonstrated that. Because we never gave him a settled role in a settled side. Same with HNM.

Which is why it’s best for all concerned that he move on as quickly as possible. On that I think we’ll agree ?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@W-S-M Seagullta.  I listened back last night.  20Man is a good interviewer, he put Gould under a lot of pressure with his questions.  Gould was a bit woolly with some if his answers but got pressed and pressed.

Haven't heard the Gould interview, but the grillings he used to give Ashton were worth the licence fee on their own.

Geoff has been involved in football and then journalism for a very long time so I suspect his bullshit detection skills are second to none.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

About 70-80% of the way there towards our financial reset

The CEO of a business that had posted unprecedented levels of sales over 5 years of £75m (from just 7 players) now describing progress on a "financial reset" is a simply mind boggling reflection of the level of waste, excess and mismanagement presided over by his predecessor given that income. I know there's an element of Covid in the "reset" but there is no excuse for being in such a perilous state had we invested effectively and not like some kind of supermarket sweep lunatic. It would be easy to say Ipswich's problem now not ours, but clearly we're still paying the price.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Olé said:

The CEO of a business that had posted unprecedented levels of sales over 5 years of £75m (from just 7 players) now describing progress on a "financial reset" is a simply mind boggling reflection of the level of waste, excess and mismanagement presided over by his predecessor given that income. I know there's an element of Covid in the "reset" but there is no excuse for being in such a perilous state had we invested effectively and not like some kind of supermarket sweep lunatic. It would be easy to say Ipswich's problem now not ours, but clearly we're still paying the price.

We are & I was reflecting on Gould’s “top 10 salaries” comment on my run this morning.

First thought was are we still really doing that?
But on reflection the squad includes Kalas, Bentley, Dasilva, Martin & Massengo all on the wage bill, none of whom for a variety of reasons are starting, almost certain none of which will be with us next season. There is possibly an argument we might offer Kalas something but not even on half what he’s on now, I guess.

Then we are in the last months of Wells higher wages, which is another significant sum, so that’s where a lot of this is tied up, making this summer financially much more like Pearson’s first one when we moved on about 15 players than the one just gone, when 5 went.

• Like 1