IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Red Army 75

13 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Back on topic (theres a forum for politics isn't there) ?

My first choice when LJ left but lost a bit of confidence in him when he persisted with round pegs in square holes and getting similar results.

But second half Swansea and the Birmingham game has given me a bit of confidence back, albeit only one and a half games.

I hope he sticks to selecting players in their strongest positions and doesn't revert back to things like King at centre back, Scott or Weimann at WB, etc.

Being slightly facetious / pedantic (?) on the round pegs, square holes, how does that apply to Kal Naismith playing DM on Saturday?

image.png.4e2294c027613a32bf99c7c415af6648.png

I know he’s a versatile player but Saturday was just his 5th appearance in that position.  But the same token I’d argue Weimann is versatile, and Scott can be versatile because he has such good technique and football intelligence.

Not aimed at you per se, but I see quite a few posters on here (and twitter) moan about holes and pegs, but when they pick their team for the next match do exactly that which feels a bit cake and eat it to me, e.g. Cundy up-front!!! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Being slightly facetious / pedantic (?) on the round pegs, square holes, how does that apply to Kal Naismith playing DM on Saturday?

image.png.4e2294c027613a32bf99c7c415af6648.png

I know he’s a versatile player but Saturday was just his 5th appearance in that position.  But the same token I’d argue Weimann is versatile, and Scott can be versatile because he has such good technique and football intelligence.

Not aimed at you per se, but I see quite a few posters on here (and twitter) moan about holes and pegs, but when they pick their team for the next match do exactly that which feels a bit cake and eat it to me, e.g. Cundy up-front!!! ?

The Naismith selection seemed to be a shoe horn to me, but possibly a necessary one, although James is more than comfortable in that role and Williams was fit and ready.

Scott and Weimann have been selected as WB to the detriment of the team imo, they are much more effective in their natural positions. I understand that they've played there out of necessitiy sometimes with no credible alternatives, but its a waste if that is his go to option. It just smacks of getting them into the team to me.

NP needed to change the system to get them and others in their best positions and he has in the last two games. Hopefully, he carries on with it.

Cundy up front ? Sounds like an Ian Gayism to me..

• Like 1

The GD is much better than this time last year from the equivalent fixtures which is a clear sign of progress.

Believe we are a bit better placed points wise too from equivalent games- hard to place who is equivelant to qho when there are 6 different sides with 3 up and 3 down of course. Either way a bit of progress there too.

Should leave us in a better place than he found us although if finances allow this summer I would like to see what he can do with a bit more room in the market.

Just checked, League only but 161 shots at home in 14 games. That feels like progress.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, fatchers said:

Too true Robbered . The older generation were young too. We struggled to get a deposit together to afford a mortgage, then slowly managed to furnish it with luxuries like Heating, a fridge freezer, a colour TV, a washing machine,carpets etc. Then the kids came along ..The now generation want the house,all mod cons, the top of the range mobile phone and all the latest gear, and when do they want it ?  NOW.  They then moan that the older generation have it easy. After 55 years of working ( shift work.days,nights, weekends and 12 hour shifts ) and contributing to a pension, you could save , yes I have it easy. With many thanks to Hargreaves Lansdown too.

Absolute rubbish

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

The Naismith selection seemed to be a shoe horn to me, but possibly a necessary one, although James is more than comfortable in that role and Williams was fit and ready.

I guess that’s kinda of my point, it’s one man’s “shoe-horn”, another man’s “square peg in round hole” (or is it the other way around!)

Scott and Weimann have been selected as WB to the detriment of the team imo, they are much more effective in their natural positions. I understand that they've played there out of necessitiy sometimes with no credible alternatives, but its a waste if that is his go to option. It just smacks of getting them into the team to me.

my view is that sometimes you are best served by having the best players on the pitch, but it’s one all about opinions.  I get your view totally.  I don’t always agree with Nige also!

NP needed to change the system to get them and others in their best positions and he has in the last two games. Hopefully, he carries on with it.

I’m keen to see how this plays out.  We’ve played 1/2 a game against a back 4 / possession team (Swansea) and a full game against a back 3 system / predominantly direct side (Brum), who on paper are no better than us, just usually win the physical battle.  I need to see a few more games. FWIW, I never wanted Nige to move from a back 4 last season!!

Cundy up front ? Sounds like an Ian Gayism to me..

guess what?  It was! ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The GD is much better than this time last year from the equivalent fixtures which is a clear sign of progress.

Good to bring GD up. GD is your gold standard quick and dirty reference for "are we where we "should" be?"

We've played 27 games. Last season we were on GD of -12. Minus bloody 12! The table (roughly as team number of games was less uniform last year) was as below. As you can see, we are the highest placed team with negative goal difference in double figures, and are well above most of our GD peers. This season we're on -1, and in fact should probably feel like we should be above Hull with -10, and even maybe Reading (-7) and Preston (-6). So you can make a reasonable argument that our true position is 2 or 3 places higher than we currently are, putting us around 14th or 15th. Note that had we won the Sheff Utd home game that we were comfortably the better team in - then we'd have the 3 extra points needed to get us into 15th place (assuming we won by one goal we'd be on 35 points with GD of 0). So that's the tiny margins we're dealing with.

The improvement in GD has almost entirely come in defence. For all of the moans about Naismith's errors and King at CB, we are actually much meaner than last season. Last season, after 27 games, we'd scored 35 (1.29 per game) and conceded 47 goals (1.74 per game). This season we've scored 36 and conceded 37.

xG against this season is 1.4 whereas last season it was 1.67 per game after 27 games. Shots on target against is down from 4.7 per game to 3.7. So the improvement is seemingly deserved and is likely a reflection of proper underlying defensive improvement (or of course a division-wide failure to create dangerous chances, but it's more likely that our defending is quite a bit better).

image.png.795ba15d680837d6cf063d798b1a449b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Good to bring GD up. GD is your gold standard quick and dirty reference for "are we where we "should" be?"

We've played 27 games. Last season we were on GD of -12. Minus bloody 12! The table (roughly as team number of games was less uniform last year) was as below. As you can see, we are the highest placed team with negative goal difference in double figures, and are well above most of our GD peers. This season we're on -1, and in fact should probably feel like we should be above Hull with -10, and even maybe Reading (-7) and Preston (-6). So you can make a reasonable argument that our true position is 2 or 3 places higher than we currently are, putting us around 14th or 15th. Note that had we won the Sheff Utd home game that we were comfortably the better team in - then we'd have the 3 extra points needed to get us into 15th place (assuming we won by one goal we'd be on 35 points with GD of 0). So that's the tiny margins we're dealing with.

The improvement in GD has almost entirely come in defence. For all of the moans about Naismith's errors and King at CB, we are actually much meaner than last season. Last season, after 27 games, we'd scored 35 (1.29 per game) and conceded 47 goals (1.74 per game). This season we've scored 36 and conceded 37.

xG against this season is 1.4 whereas last season it was 1.67 per game after 27 games. Shots on target against is down from 4.7 per game to 3.7. So the improvement is seemingly deserved and is likely a reflection of proper underlying defensive improvement (or of course a division-wide failure to create dangerous chances, but it's more likely that our defending is quite a bit better).

One noticeable factor is that the thrashings away from home seem to have so far halted. We had one at Birmingham of course but in general on the road we seem to lose narrowly, and are more competitive in scoreline albeit not necessarily in general play.

Take the away games v the relegated sides so far. 3-2 and 2-1 losses.

Last season it was 6-2, 3-2 and 2-0. At minimum we are one goal better off, at max 4 depending on which relegated PL side we assign to last season's promoted ones.

Last season we lost 9 games on the road by 2 goals or more in the League. 9 in 23.

This season it is just 2 in 13 so far. Just 2.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

depending on which relegated PL side we assign to last season's promoted ones.

Not that it matters but I used to assign:

Champ 1 - PL 18

Champ 2 - PL 19

Champ PO winner - PL 20

Ehen trying to compare, so therefore:

Fulham - Burnley 

Bouremouth - Watford

Forest - Norwich

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This is interesting regarding our defensive performance.

If you look at our last 10 league games we have let in 11, an average of one a game that was actually spoiled by Birmingham scoring 2, something most of us would readily accept if we often manage 4.

This is being achieved without our best defender in Kalas & having changed goalkeeper, too.

Maintaining something broadly like this form always gives you a chance in a game, it is when we needed to score 3 to even get a point that it all runs away from you.

From an attacking sense it is worth pointing out that we are broadly similar but last year we relied very heavily on Weimann’s annus mirabilis, plus Martin making a significant contribution, someone we are clearly looking to move on.

To do so through a more balanced approach, Wells (now signed for 2 more years), the emergence of Conway & Semenyo scoring in bursts all seems more sustainable, especially with Weimann to return too.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

From an attacking sense it is worth pointing out that we are broadly similar but last year we relied very heavily on Weimann’s annus mirabilis, plus Martin making a significant contribution, someone we are clearly looking to move on.

We relied heavily on Weimann's anus?

Stats definitely suggest some improvement, we do seem to 'almost' be a good side.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This is interesting regarding our defensive performance.

If you look at our last 10 league games we have let in 11, an average of one a game that was actually spoiled by Birmingham scoring 2, something most of us would readily accept if we often manage 4.

This is being achieved without our best defender in Kalas & having changed goalkeeper, too.

Maintaining something broadly like this form always gives you a chance in a game, it is when we needed to score 3 to even get a point that it all runs away from you.

To do so through a more balanced approach, Wells (now signed for 2 more years), the emergence of Conway & Semenyo scoring in bursts all seems more sustainable, especially with Weimann to return too.

Yeh and this is why the Birmingham game wasn't a "must win" and why we're in very, very little danger of being relegated. Our baseline figures are ok, and they're better than last season. Over the next 19 games that will show through, and we should get 20 - 25 points, so landing on something around 55, and comfortably safe. With a bit of luck (and maybe even a penalty or two) we might get towards 60. Add a positive GD to that and there's no way you go down.

Remember as well that last season was already a big improvement on the Holden/Pearson season.

I'd honestly be happy to let Pearson see out his contract. IIRC that runs until the end of April next year. At that point (or maybe a little earlier in reality, probably this time next year) we should be done with the "financial reset" and will likely be somewhere around 8th-12th as per our wage budget. Pearson can assess if he can be arsed, the new CEO can assess how we're looking. It's a good time to look at how 2024-27 might look at our club.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fatchers said:

Too true Robbered . The older generation were young too. We struggled to get a deposit together to afford a mortgage, then slowly managed to furnish it with luxuries like Heating, a fridge freezer, a colour TV, a washing machine,carpets etc. Then the kids came along ..The now generation want the house,all mod cons, the top of the range mobile phone and all the latest gear, and when do they want it ?  NOW.  They then moan that the older generation have it easy. After 55 years of working ( shift work.days,nights, weekends and 12 hour shifts ) and contributing to a pension, you could save , yes I have it easy. With many thanks to Hargreaves Lansdown too.

EDIT: Actually no, I shouldn't have bitten, this is way off topic. But what a load of indoctrinated nonsense.

Edited by nebristolred

6 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Things would surprise me less than Nige "seeing the job through" (you may disagree on what you judge the success of seeing the job through but that's a different discussion) i.e. get us through this period where relatively speaking we don't have a pot to piss in largely intact and then being unable or perhaps even unwilling to agree a new contract either because he decides he doesn't want/need it or the club decide to go in a different direction once the financial situation is fully under control and we are competitive again.

It's been mentioned a lot on here - it does feel like a re-run of the SOD era but without us getting battered every week..............whoever takes over next should be in a lot better position than both Holden and Pearson were.

So SOD managed 1.05 points per match and NP has managed 1.15 points  per match

Please explain how we were battered every week under SOD but not no under NP? Their overall track record is the same - their challenges have been the same.

I really am desperate for BCFC to avoid the drop and hope NP is managing to avoid this but, please, please, dont pontificate that NP is somehow deciding whether or not not BCFC is good enough for him. We are a good club and will progress with or without Nige.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Please explain how we were battered every week under SOD but not no under NP? Their overall track record is the same - their challenges have been the same.

I really am desperate for BCFC to avoid the drop and hope NP is managing to avoid this but, please, please, dont pontificate that NP is somehow deciding whether or not not BCFC is good enough for him. We are a good club and will progress with or without Nige.

Who the **** do you think you are? I’m giving my opinion and if you don’t like it kiss my arse. I’ll say what I think you cheeky ***.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

A fair proportion of SOD’s games were in League One against the likes of Orient, Oldham & Crawley.

You’re comparing apples with oranges.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

A fair proportion of SOD’s games were in League One against the likes of Orient, Oldham & Crawley.

You’re comparing apples with oranges.

And Wolves, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and Southampton- where are these now?????

I am indeed comparing apples with oranges- the teams I mention are perhaps better than the teams u mention!! It's amazing how you can develope a narrative!

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That stat is out of context and means nothing - different times, different ethos throughout the club. 

Explain

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And Wolves, Crystal Palace, Sheffield United and Southampton- where are these now?????

I am indeed comparing apples with oranges- the teams I mention are perhaps better than the teams u mention!! It's amazing how you can develope a narrative!

Explain

Holden has a better point average than both of them, but I would happily say we got battered in plenty of games and even won some of them despite that. 

• Like 2

Just now, BCFC Rich said:

Holden has a better point average than both of them, but I would happily say we got battered in plenty of games and even won some of them despite that. 

Yep- Dean did quite well considering the injury crisis and the fact that he never had the fortune of playing in BS3 in front of the fans due to Covid. He had virtually no budget- either on a par or less than NP but did better during his tenure.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Explain

Jeez…………:facepalm:………isn’t it self explanatory?

10 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Yes i agree - i was responding to a previous post about 15% interest rates. Deposits and that were far far more affordable, but banks were still greedy and mortgages were still tough for normal people.

And many of us got lumbered with the Endowment Mortgage.

With predictions that we could well be thousands in profit on completion...not for me though, it was the opposite...thousands in debit.  ?

Great win City.

Good on ya Nige!

Edited by 42nite

8 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Great result tonight away to Swansea for Nige (this is the NP thread) and with half a dozen academy products featuring. Shame we can’t all park our agendas and get behind him and the team and push on together..

Those of us that are capable at looking beyond results and understand what Nige’s remit is can a do get behind Nige. It’s fans like Marina Rols Royce  that don’t seem able to see the wider picture.

I guess there are fans just like that at other clubs tho…………:cool2:

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I think the point is, half of SODs time was in league one. All of Pearson time has been championship…

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Explain

So you are really saying here the Championship sides SOD managed against were better than the ones Pearson does? That’s completely impossible to prove either way. 

League One sides are poorer than Championship sides, that’s unarguable.

No “narrative” here, only replying to someone who is trying to argue that a league below is the same standard, which is such obvious bollocks.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1