IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Red Army 75

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nige is canny, but from watching the presser he gave the impression of general surprise that Monaco might have a clause based on 100 league appearances. 

Interesting that the Anderlecht story came out today.  A few of us heard this a week or so ago.  Talk of another team in for him too.  

Yep - Nige plays the “I’m ignorant on these matters” card really well. Gives journalists nothing to come back with. He knows very well what’s going on.

He’s a clever guy.

12 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

If I remember correctly, Pearson has previously said the issue with Massengo was he was offered a new contract and he turned it down. Him and his representatives said this is what we are asking for, which in turned city then offered. Once this new deal that they had asked for was on the table they then decided they no longer wanted to agree to it.

And to be honest for a player of his age, despite the glimpses he’s shown, to only produce 3 assists and 0 goals in 99 games and then think he can go messing the club about like that, I can understand the stance the club have taken with this one if true.

My gut feel is:

• his original contract was very good for an 18 year old
  • we now want him on a contract more in line with the wage structure in place post covid, ie less than his current deal
  • he rejected it, says he wants to leave
  • we went back with an improved deal matching his existing deal (knowing he will reject it) to at least guarantee compensation when he leaves
  • all parties are just trying to get through to the summer unless another club come in for him in the meantime
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Ben Brereton Diaz is letting his contract run out and has in fact found his new club. We can safely conclude that his agent has been busy touting his name around for some time.

Should Blackburn have kept him in the reserves for the past few months on principle? Should they play him now?

Utter bizarre comparison 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

If I remember correctly, Pearson has previously said the issue with Massengo was he was offered a new contract and he turned it down. Him and his representatives said this is what we are asking for, which in turned city then offered. Once this new deal that they had asked for was on the table they then decided they no longer wanted to agree to it.

Where did this come from, never heard or seen this before of us agreeing to his demands then turning us down

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

Keep believing! :laugh:

Why do you think it is then?

He’s playing absolutely brilliantly but we aren’t selecting him simply out of spite?

What would you do with a player who has already turned down a move away this month because he didn’t “fancy it”?

1 minute ago, HitchinRed said:

You’re also suggesting he’s a bare faced liar.

People have to avoid the truth every day in work. If a Client asks why you haven’t completed that report yet or screeded a floor do you tell them they are bottom of your list of priorities and you were working on something else? If coming up with something else makes you a bare faced liar then there are plenty about………

This is the one thing I am frustrated with NP over, maybe if it was the 100 games scenario it would be more palatable.

I know opinions are mixed, but I rate HNM and would loved to have seen our midfield develop with him and Alex, as our best run of results this season was with Han in the team.

Sure someone will come back with how many goals or assists does he have, Han is probably the best player we have at interceptions and very rarely gives the ball away cheaply and gets us moving forward

I am disappointed the way its paned out and sure will go on to be a very good player, but we will only get minimal compensation, whereas had he been in the team znd playing well may have generated a decent fee.

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

You’re also suggesting he’s a bare faced liar.

It’s a skilled avoidance technique that Nige has used on numerous occasions over many years - No journalist would ever accuse Nige of being a liar - on what basis?       :dunno:

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

This is the one thing I am frustrated with NP over, maybe if it was the 100 games scenario it would be more palatable.

I know opinions are mixed, but I rate HNM and would loved to have seen our midfield develop with him and Alex, as our best run of results this season was with Han in the team.

Sure someone will come back with how many goals or assists does he have, Han is probably the best player we have at interceptions and very rarely gives the ball away cheaply and gets us moving forward

I am disappointed the way its paned out and sure will go on to be a very good player, but we will only get minimal compensation, whereas had he been in the team znd playing well may have generated a decent fee.

You can’t use personal opinion to have a go at the manager.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

He doesn't want to play for City any more so however good or bad he is is irrelevant.

It could be that if he makes 100 first team appearances, we have to pay Monaco a significant lump sum that we prefer to keep to help us with FFP. And why not as it could be  any sum  from £10,000 to a £million or more.

12 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

He doesn't want to play for City any more so however good or bad he is is irrelevant.

It could be that if he makes 100 first team appearances, we have to pay Monaco a significant lump sum that we prefer to keep to help us with FFP. And why not as it could be  any sum  from £10,000 to a £million or more.

As I said it makes it more understandable if hitting an appearance level costs us money as a reason not to play him.

Han has refused a new contract, not said he does not want to play for us, in fact a while back NP stated he was training well and ready to play if asked.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, David Brent said:

You can’t use personal opinion to have a go at the manager.

I’m of a similar position to @sh1t_ref_again, if I were manager I’d be including him…but I completely get why Nige is doing what he is.  It’s a brave decision too.  I liked the way he talked about OTC both post-match and today.

I look back at Diedhiou, and he might have beat his chest in front of the SS when we got a corner, he might’ve come from Knowle, but…his heart wasn’t in it for the second half of that season.  Han may have the best intentions, be as professional as possible each and every day, but if the manager has doubts on a Saturday he’s doing the right thing by not including him.

You’d think a club like Anderlecht would be attractive.  They have a new manager…Brian Riemer…assistant to Thomas Frank (Brentford) until last month.  Probably seen Massengo a few times!!!

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You can tell Nige likes the 2nd reporter in that interview, and you can understand why, the questions were very good and articulate.

The same can’t be said for the last reporter though… Christ!

James Piercy today, Rich Forrester not there.  I think Richard Hoskin (on first) is good too,  it he tends to to simple questioning.  Jordan Jones (on third) is not that good, Nige looks like he finds it difficult to tolerate him!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

James Piercy today, Rich Forrester not there.  I think Richard Hoskin (on first) is good too,  it tends to be simple questioning.  Jordan Jones (on third) is not that good, Nige looks like he finds it difficult to tolerate him!

He’s not alone…

WTF was that question about Cardiff’s manager all about? It is clearly sad when people get sacked but I’m completely baffled as to where he was going with it.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

James Piercy today, Rich Forrester not there.  I think Richard Hoskin (on first) is good too,  it he tends to to simple questioning.  Jordan Jones (on third) is not that good, Nige looks like he finds it difficult to tolerate him!

James Piercy, that’s him! You get the feeling he’s the only one there that Nige feels comfortable with. Which allows NP to come out of his shell more and give more info. 

Another very good interview I thought. Apart from the last bit?

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

James Piercy, that’s him! You get the feeling he’s the only one there that Nige feels comfortable with. Which allows NP to come out of his shell more and give more info. 

Another very good interview I thought. Apart from the last bit?

He lets him talk.  He’s not afraid to tell Nige that wasn’t what he was asking and get him to change the angle of his answers.  He’s a fine writer too imho, I like the way he writes in.  I see Rich Forrester’s writing style evolving along a similar vain. 

I’m a bit biased because he was the guy who let me write my pre-match opposition analysis and hosted them on their platform and along with Gregor, opened a few doors for me as a result.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He lets him talk.  He’s not afraid to tell Nige that wasn’t what he was asking and get him to change the angle of his answers.  He’s a fine writer too imho, I like the way he writes in.  I see Rich Forrester’s writing style evolving along a similar vain. 

I’m a bit biased because he was the guy who let me write my pre-match opposition analysis and hosted them on their platform and along with Gregor, opened a few doors for me as a result.

James is really very good.

Not as convinced as you about Rich but it is still relatively early days.

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Completely different when he’s by far their best player. Massengo isn’t a starter for us and as a young lad would be standing in the way of other youngsters coming through like Omar who made his debut Tuesday . 

So you're saying it's not something that we're doing on principle?

By your logic we could have two players in identical situations but we'd treat them differently. That doesn't sound right?

Plus he's played 99 times for the club and has been man of the match on several occasions. We've also had games where his energy and quality could have improved the team.

Omar's first appearance is encouraging but let's not claim he's a better player than Massengo at this current time.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

And to be honest for a player of his age, despite the glimpses he’s shown, to only produce 3 assists and 0 goals in 99 games and then think he can go messing the club about like that, I can understand the stance the club have taken with this one if true.

I thought it was COD that had an improved offer that met what he was asking for and he then turned that down? I could well be wrong though.

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Why do you think it is then?

He’s playing absolutely brilliantly but we aren’t selecting him simply out of spite?

What would you do with a player who has already turned down a move away this month because he didn’t “fancy it”?

Got the details of who he turned down?

Or just more unfounded bullshit?

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

When has he said he doesn’t want to play for us? 

Something else I’ve missed, along with those detailed contract offers??

• Haha 1

It's utterly bizarre that some people appear to be getting genuinely angry that a player is not being picked when not one of us knows the contract situation and what has been said and done behind the scenes. How can something you know nothing about get you that emotional? He's either picked or he isn't....................you can't have the answers to everything as there are items of information that will disadvantage the club if it is put in the public domain. Same as any business.

Whilst I think we are in a position of not needing to pick him because we have other options and his performances this season haven't merited it if Nige selects him today then so be it, nothing to lose your shit over.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nige is canny, but from watching the presser he gave the impression of general surprise that Monaco might have a clause based on 100 league appearances. 

There’s a difference between undroppable and being a regular in the 18.  As Percy says below…⬇️⬇️⬇️

…he’s had some good games this season, Brum was awful.  All of our players have been inconsistent in the main, but don’t get accused so heavily as Han does.

Re other comments comparing to other players contract situations, especially using Vyner as the comparison.  Has Vyner said he intends to leave in the summer?  Nope.  Huge difference.

Interesting that the Anderlecht story came out today.  A few of us heard this a week or so ago.  Talk of another team in for him too.  

Massengo is a subject we will never agree on..........is he a very good technical footballer? Yes, of course, but he doesn't work at OUR club and the counter attacking style we play. Value for money wise he is yet another example of an extremely poor buy. Just another one of far too many crap investments dropping off the conveyor belt and why we find ourselves where we are. His output, end product, call it what you like, for me, is utterly insufficient for the money we have spent on transfer fee, wages, and the likely significant loss we will make on the kid. How can a midfield player of his type go 100 games without scoring a single goal?

These things happen though, it's not down to lack of ability, bad attitude or for the want of trying and I'm sure the boy will do a lot better elsewhere but as far as I'm concerned it just hasn't worked out here for whatever reason and the sooner we are rid the better. The ruthless approach we are taking applies as much to him as anyone else.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Massengo is a subject we will never agree on..........is he a very good technical footballer? Yes, of course, but he doesn't work at OUR club and the counter attacking style we play. Value for money wise he is yet another example of an extremely poor buy. Just another one of far too many crap investments dropping off the conveyor belt and why we find ourselves where we are. His output, end product, call it what you like, for me, is utterly insufficient for the money we have spent on transfer fee, wages, and the likely significant loss we will make on the kid. How can a midfield player of his type go 100 games without scoring a single goal?

These things happen though, it's not down to lack of ability, bad attitude or for the want of trying and I'm sure the boy will do a lot better elsewhere but as far as I'm concerned it just hasn't worked out here for whatever reason and the sooner we are rid the better. The ruthless approach we are taking applies as much to him as anyone else.

By and large this is how I see it. The kid did not develop beyond the neat little drag backs and getting between the opposing player and the ball. Four years and we have what we had on day one. 

As much as I would like the kid to go on win the World Cup and make us 40% of gazillions it’s not going to happen here. All of this nonsense about contracts is the kid and his advisors pretty much thinking the same thing. 

I had to laugh about the thought that Anderslecht have an interest. If it’s only one club (and I have my doubts) it would seem most likely he’s here until June. If that’s the case so be it.

• Like 3