IGNORED

Ken Bruce leaving Radio 2

Super

Surprised about this, must be trouble at mill. I'd understand if he was retiring, but moving to a commercial station means either issues and/or pay rise.

Chris Evans, Simon Mayo, Steve Wright, Graham Norton and now Ken. A lot of fantastic presenters leaving. I like Sara Cox, Jo Wiley, and Zoe Ball (to a degree), but it all feels like downgrades. 

On a plus note, I work on a brand who target adults aged 45+. So means I can explore sponsoring his new show, particularly as Pop Master goes with him!

6 minutes ago, Selred said:

Surprised about this, must be trouble at mill. I'd understand if he was retiring, but moving to a commercial station means either issues and/or pay rise.

Chris Evans, Simon Mayo, Steve Wright, Graham Norton and now Ken. A lot of fantastic presenters leaving. I like Sara Cox, Jo Wiley, and Zoe Ball (to a degree), but it all feels like downgrades. 

On a plus note, I work on a brand who target adults aged 45+. So means I can explore sponsoring his new show, particularly as Pop Master goes with him!

Haven’t Radio 2 been looking to reach a younger audience in recent years, ie, the next age bracket up from Radio 1’s target audience? 
Might be something to do with that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Haven’t Radio 2 been looking to reach a younger audience in recent years, ie, the next age bracket up from Radio 1’s target audience? 

Yes, but they are also going to alienate a lot of their current audience. Ken Bruce had the biggest show in the UK, that's only going to drop now.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Selred said:

Jo Wiley is a class act.

The other two are totally dreadful.

Zoe Ball is up against Johnny Vaughan on Radio X; they could not be further apart IMO.

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Ditch the dance: BBC Radio 2 fans complain about Scott Mills' music choices after replacing Steve Wright

• Steve Wright, 68, was replaced by Scott Mills, 49, who moved from Radio 1
  • Radio 2 listeners are accusing bosses of trying to turn the station into Radio 1
  • Fans of Wright's old show say Mills plays too much dance music

By PAUL REVOIR MEDIA EDITOR FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 01:53, 3 December 2022 | UPDATED: 01:59, 3 December 2022

Listeners to Radio 2 have hit out at the decision to replace Steve Wright with Scott Mills, claiming bosses are trying to turn the station into Radio 1.

Fans of Wright’s old show, which was dropped in September, say Mills is playing too much dance music.

Wright, 68, was replaced by Mills, 49, who moved from Radio 1. But listeners contacted Radio 4 audience response show Feedback. One said Mills’ Radio 2 show was ‘aimed at Scott’s former Radio 1 listeners’. Another said: ‘Why the need for all this dance music?’

Another article suggested that about 50% of the music SW played was from the 60s and 70s, whereas only about 1 in 5 of the music SM plays is from that era.

6 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ditch the dance: BBC Radio 2 fans complain about Scott Mills' music choices after replacing Steve Wright

• Steve Wright, 68, was replaced by Scott Mills, 49, who moved from Radio 1
  • Radio 2 listeners are accusing bosses of trying to turn the station into Radio 1
  • Fans of Wright's old show say Mills plays too much dance music

By PAUL REVOIR MEDIA EDITOR FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 01:53, 3 December 2022 | UPDATED: 01:59, 3 December 2022

Listeners to Radio 2 have hit out at the decision to replace Steve Wright with Scott Mills, claiming bosses are trying to turn the station into Radio 1.

Fans of Wright’s old show, which was dropped in September, say Mills is playing too much dance music.

Wright, 68, was replaced by Mills, 49, who moved from Radio 1. But listeners contacted Radio 4 audience response show Feedback. One said Mills’ Radio 2 show was ‘aimed at Scott’s former Radio 1 listeners’. Another said: ‘Why the need for all this dance music?’

Another article suggested that about 50% of the music SW played was from the 60s and 70s, whereas only about 1 in 5 of the music SM plays is from that era.

Too be honest I think there's too much dance music on 6Music nowadays. Seems what the station controllers want. I just don't listen anymore.

Bruce out!

Who will take over though? If they can only get Scott (Tread) Mills to replace Steve Wright then who is in line for the prime Morning Show. Both the two most listened-to programmes on R2 will be under new management; I bet the suits at the Beeb are twitching.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Bruce out!

Who will take over though? If they can only get Scott (Tread) Mills to replace Steve Wright then who is in line for the prime Morning Show. Both the two most listened-to programmes on R2 will be under new management; I bet the suits at the Beeb are twitching.

Rylan?

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Jo Wiley is a class act.

The other two are totally dreadful.

Zoe Ball is up against Johnny Vaughan on Radio X; they could not be further apart IMO.

I like Sara Cox, I prefer her to Simon Mayo to be honest. He always came across a bit up himself. 

I listen to Virgin on a morning now Chris Evans, with Vassos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yup he trademarked it/registered the rights in 1998. My assumption is that his value to GHR increased with the rights to the game.

Must do well every Christmas to with the Pop Master Game and Book sales! I've had a few in my time

38 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I suspect possibly not a fan of Steve Wright (In The Afternoon) ?.

Most shows evolve over time. Steve Wright still used to present the same show he started with in the 80's. How much must it have cost with all his helpers/carers?