IGNORED

Ken Bruce leaving Radio 2

Super

21 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Radio 2 will be less attractive to listen to without Ken B. I’m also a big fan of Popmaster, but his show is more than PM. Which is why his ratings are so high compared to everyone else.
Coxy does a good show also but not in KB league.
BBC politics again no doubt which is why he is leaving I assume.

I love Ken Bruce's show and especially PopMaster but let's not pretend he's not being offered a good wedge of money to move to a rival station. From what I've read, a lot of the issue seems to be the fact that daytime Radio 2 DJs have to stick to the playlist and it's not what he wants to play, which is fair enough, but I do find it vaguely comical how he's basically left for a better paid job and is still being portrayed as an unfairly treated victim of circumstance. 

• Like 1

On 24/02/2023 at 09:08, Super said:

Vernon Kay to take over.

I turned on to Scott Mills the other day and he was so excited. He was talking about someone's parents being really proud and I thought he must be talking about the first day at school. He was tallking about 48 year old Kay!

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I love Ken Bruce's show and especially PopMaster but let's not pretend he's not being offered a good wedge of money to move to a rival station. From what I've read, a lot of the issue seems to be the fact that daytime Radio 2 DJs have to stick to the playlist and it's not what he wants to play, which is fair enough, but I do find it vaguely comical how he's basically left for a better paid job and is still being portrayed as an unfairly treated victim of circumstance. 

But he is a 'victim of circumstance'. 

The circumstance is that the play list is regulated depending on how much the BBC get paid to promote the records. 

Regardless of how much extra money he can earn elsewhere...if he was allowed to have a little more say on what's played, he wouldn't have moved on.

Another case of sterile, bland generic  music being promoted.

It's turning into Britain's got talent. ????

1 hour ago, spudski said:

But he is a 'victim of circumstance'. 

The circumstance is that the play list is regulated depending on how much the BBC get paid to promote the records. 

Regardless of how much extra money he can earn elsewhere...if he was allowed to have a little more say on what's played, he wouldn't have moved on.

Another case of sterile, bland generic  music being promoted.

It's turning into Britain's got talent. ????

I do wonder about the 'record of the week' sometimes!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Into the last 20 minutes and getting sad. We have him on at work on an old radio that has no chance of getting greatest hits radio, whatever it’s called.

It’s just struck me they should have had Ken himself doing the last Tracks of my Years….

He picked 2 tracks on r4 Today programme.

Classy sign off to his last show. No (public) bitterness but an oblique comment about the beeb being almost the best radio station.

8 minutes ago, Midred said:

He picked 2 tracks on r4 Today programme.

Classy sign off to his last show. No (public) bitterness but an oblique comment about the beeb being almost the best radio station.

Yes, classy and humble to the end.

At the end of the day he’s had an incredible run on the beeb and earnt a lot of money and now has a chance to earn even more I expect, so I don’t think he is that bitter. I do remember one thing he did hate about working for the BBC was the fact their wages are public knowledge. 

I know he was a bit put out at having to finish his show earlier than planned but I reckon deep down he’s delighted to have a couple of weeks off before his new venture.

• Like 1

I’ve listened to Radio 2 about three times in my entire life. I couldn’t stomach a station that played The Stones followed by Vera Lynn. 

May be Radio 2 has changed in the last decade or so, but it was just soo abysmally bad I ain’t giving it another go.

Only music presenter worth a listen - on the rare occasions I now have the radio on - is Johnny Vaughan on Radio X who plays some decent stuff (I suspect from his own playlists) and is mildly amusing. The only downside is that if I leave it on-station in the car and switch it back on in the morning I have to listen to a few words, before rapidly reaching for the off button, from some ex-Radio 1 Leeds fan who is right up his own arse …a Chris Moyes/Moyles or something like that. If Ken Bruce was on at the same time as this chap, little wonder he developed a loyal following. Mind you, a stuffed parrot would have been able to achieve that.

Edited by RedRock

On 04/03/2023 at 23:35, RedRock said:

I’ve listened to Radio 2 about three times in my entire life. I couldn’t stomach a station that played The Stones followed by Vera Lynn. 

It's gone the other way now. Really the only way you'll hear songs pre-80s is on Sundays when you have sounds of the 70s.

It's far more modern, often playing the latest songs with a couple of 80s/90s/00s chucked in.

• Admin