IGNORED

Ken Bruce leaving Radio 2

Super

7 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to love Elvis and the characters (Mick and Keith etc)

Me too.

I was at a party a couple of months ago, which appeared to be DJ-ed by Dave Double-Decks, the inept "Radio Local" disc jockey character on Steve Wright's 80s shows. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I used to love Elvis and the characters (Mick and Keith etc)

I believe it was Phil Cornwell doing both Mick & Keith impressions. He was superb at both, used to have me in tears of laughter.

Some other characters from Steve Wrights show : the boring double glazing salesman, the fish filleter,  bloke always backing a van in, plus loads of others.

Hilarious, always brightened up the day if travelling / driving.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I suspect possibly not a fan of Steve Wright (In The Afternoon) ?.

Very perspicacious of you . I just hate people who use forced humour............I'm funny, me.

Reminds me of Colin Hunt (Charlie Higson ) in the Fast Show.             "Wrighty" wasn't particularly funny in the 80's and certainly isn't now !

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Very perspicacious of you . I just hate people who use forced humour............I'm funny, me.

Reminds me of Colin Hunt (Charlie Higson ) in the Fast Show.             "Wrighty" wasn't particularly funny in the 80's and certainly isn't now !

I must admit that Steve Wright wasn't my favourite 'big name' but i thought he was ok.

Once Ken Bruce has gone, the only show on Radio 2 that i'll tune in to in the future is Johnnie Walker's show on Sunday afternoons (for as long as that lasts!!).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

I must admit that Steve Wright wasn't my favourite 'big name' but i thought he was ok.

Once Ken Bruce has gone, the only show on Radio 2 that i'll tune in to in the future is Johnnie Walker's show on Sunday afternoons (for as long as that lasts!!).

I like Johnny Walker, he was the first person I listened to on Radio 2, with Sally Traffic. When he did drive time 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I like Johnny Walker, he was the first person I listened to on Radio 2, with Sally Traffic. When he did drive time 

And years ago he was a Radio 1 DJ.

It's only about the music . for me Greatest Hits are only missing the 60s , play sounds from that time to go with the other three decades and i'm made up.

Truly be a station for us old farts. Who gives a **** about a DJ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

And years ago he was a Radio 1 DJ.

It's only about the music . for me Greatest Hits are only missing the 60s , play sounds from that time to go with the other three decades and i'm made up.

Truly be a station for us old farts. Who gives a **** about a DJ?

I really like Rad Mac on 6Music, inane chat and groundbreaking bits like "Crisps on the Radio" plus "The Chain." 

• Like 2

On 19/01/2023 at 13:15, Open End Numb Legs said:

Bruce has the best show on radio, the listening figures, like a league table, do not lie.

I will be following him to his new station.

I don't listen to the Radio, but did listen to KB on trips. Loved Popmaster, and tried to time leaving to when it was on. Even had to tune the Mrs car into his new channel. Very smart of him to keep the rights to the quiz. 
I wonder if that's why they are getting him to leave early.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2023 at 21:04, exAtyeoMax said:

He was great on the old BBC Radio 5, before the change to 5 live sport and stuff 

Used to be on in the mornings.

Good chat and music.

Also old enough to remember him in on Radio 1

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 12:08, Northern Red said:

Before my time, but Johnnie Walker was on GWR in the early-mid 80s, and its' predecessor Radio West,

He used to play new music and bands that a station like that wouldn't be able to anymore.

Anybody remember a band called The Outfield?

Johnny would rave about them for a while and their first couple of albums are really good.

A class DJ.

Edited by AppyDAZE

39 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd assume it's either paid up holiday or the BBC have thrown their toys out of the pram 

Can't believe there's any other reason to release him so quickly 

I suspect the later.

Apparently his listening figures were the highest of any radio presenter in Europe!

Crazy decision by a radio station that has utterly lost its way.

I accept that radio is dying out and that the younger generation do not listen to it but for an oldie like me it is still my favorite medium.

I actually prefer listening to a game on R5L than watching on Sky.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

I suspect the later.

Apparently his listening figures were the highest of any radio presenter in Europe!

I accept that radio is dying out and that the younger generation do not listen to it but for an oldie like me it is still my favorite medium.

I'm sure it goes in cycles 

• Like 1

Always liked Ken Bruce, as far as R2 was concerned he was the last DJ on there worth tuning in for. 

Not that I've heard him recently, I gave up on R2 several years ago after the quality of both the music and DJ's plummeted and it just became a constant babbling irritation.

Boom Radio all day for me now. Calm, experienced presenters who don't talk too much, and the great music - mostly from the 60's & 70's - suits me just fine.

• Like 3

It certainly wasn’t Ken’s decision to go early as he tweeted his surprise about it.

I’ll really miss him, one of the best left. Zoe Ball is Ok but I do find her a bit childrens presenter at times. Not too keen on Vernon, Jeremy Vine gets more tabloid by the day, Scott Mills I don’t have a strong opinion on, Sara Cox I do like but I know others don’t.

Time for a new station but radio adverts do drive me mad. 

5 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Always liked Ken Bruce, as far as R2 was concerned he was the last DJ on there worth tuning in for. 

Boom Radio all day for me now. Calm, experienced presenters who don't talk too much, and the great music - mostly from the 60's & 70's - suits me just fine.

You alerted me to this station a year or so ago, and I do enjoy listening to it from time to time.

On 25/02/2023 at 00:12, ScottishRed said:

I suspect the later.

Radio is actually booming since COVID, rather than dying out. Particularly commercial radio.

Few further points:

- Greatest Hits (a competitor station who Bruce is moving too), is advertising his arrival. Therefore if it was any other job you'd be put on gardening leave.

- Ken was 42 when he started the show, Kay is 48 (?). So this isn't a dramatic change for Radio 2 as some suggest.

On 25/02/2023 at 00:12, ScottishRed said:

I suspect the later.

Have R2 accepted yet that they've become Greatest Hits feeder station?

Radio 2 will be less attractive to listen to without Ken B. I’m also a big fan of Popmaster, but his show is more than PM. Which is why his ratings are so high compared to everyone else.
Coxy does a good show also but not in KB league.
BBC politics again no doubt which is why he is leaving I assume.