IGNORED

Sam Bell

1960maaan

I said in the Semenyo thread that I would sooner let Semenyo leave and keep Bell around instead of loaning him out. While this was said against a background of poor Semenyo form at the time, which he has to be fair turned around, it was principally because I see Sam Bell as a more natural goalscorer than Antoine who is power rather than finesse. Given our injuries and squad size I hope that Sam gets more opportunities in the weeks, ahead and goes nowhere this month. 

20 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Mickey Bell was one of my favourites. Love that both father and son have now scored for City. 

Yes I remember clearly three goals of his. One against Cardiff late on at Ashton Gate on his right foot. And two great strikes against Cambridge at Ashton Gate in a 2 0 win. Hell of a left boot.

Around 2 and 4 minutes in.

Edited by Kodjias Wrist
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I said in the Semenyo thread that I would sooner let Semenyo leave and keep Bell around instead of loaning him out. While this was said against a background of poor Semenyo form at the time, which he has to be fair turned around, it was principally because I see Sam Bell as a more natural goalscorer than Antoine who is power rather than finesse. Given our injuries and squad size I hope that Sam gets more opportunities in the weeks, ahead and goes nowhere this month. 

While I agree with the premise, we already have a natural goalscorer in Wells, and Antoine is the one player in our squad who can create something from nothing, which I don't think our other attacking players can really do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he sees Vardy in Tommy.

I wonder how long it will be before we see Conway and Bell start together? 

They had a great partnership developing in the U21s.

Such a shame Conway got injured...but again...someone's injury has allowed an opportunity quicker. 

I get so frustrated at our current situation.

The thought of Pring, Benorous, Scott, Semenyo, Bell and Conway all playing fills me with excitement in the potential to take the next step. To be able to all develop together. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes I remember clearly three goals of his. One against Cardiff late on at Ashton Gate on his right foot. And two great strikes against Cambridge at Ashton Gate in a 2 0 win. Hell of a left boot.

Around 2 and 4 minutes in.

And his goal against Rovers in a 3-0 win of course 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes all managers say the same, very few on occassion credit opposition goals. They credit opposition desire but rarely individual goals. I find this quite odd but then they work everyday to limit errors.

Similarly it seems that a majority of City fans rarely credit the opposition for winning because they outplayed us.

The more usual reaction is to find fault with our players performances and mistakes and/or the manager's poor selection, formation and tactics.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grifty said:

Have we had any other Father - Son goal scorers?

Joe Jordan & Andrew Jordan?

Not sure about Joe and Andrew but Don and Brian Clark most definitely scored - and quite a few as well.

Just now, downendcity said:

Similarly it seems that a majority of City fans rarely credit the opposition for winning because they outplayed us.

The more usual reaction is to find fault with our players performances and mistakes and/or the manager's poor selection, formation and tactics.

Exactly the same on all forums.

29 minutes ago, spudski said:

Such a shame Conway got injured...but again...someone's injury has allowed an opportunity quicker. 

The thought of Pring, Benorous, Scott, Semenyo, Bell and Conway all playing fills me with excitement in the potential to take the next step. To be able to all develop together. 

If I leave Scott and Semenyo out of the mix, I think we have a window of opportunity when Conway, Bell, Benarous, Pring could be a key part of an overall team that moves forward at a quick enough rate to keep them together.

16 minutes ago, grifty said:

Have we had any other Father - Son goal scorers?

Joe Jordan & Andrew Jordan?

David and Arnold Rodgers?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think I'm right in thinking that that without Semenyo's injury Conway wouldn't have got to start at the beginning of the season, when he really hit the ground running. Although he had played for the first team previously ( mainly from the bench?) I got the impression that most fans thought he was still a bit lightweight and needed more time. With hindsight it now looks like all he needed was a decent run in the team to build confidence.

As you say, Conway's misfortune has given Sam his opportunity and perhaps ( let's hope) he takes it in the same way TC did early this season.

It might be through circumstances, but it does seem that Pearson has confidence in our youngsters and his willingness to put them in the team is being rewarded. Ferguson's success in the 90's was built on a nucleus of players that developed together through Man U's academy, so perhaps we are close to seeing our own group of academy players becoming the nucleus of City's first team and the last time we managed that to a a similar degree was Dicks' team of the 70s!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I leave Scott and Semenyo out of the mix, I think we have a window of opportunity when Conway, Bell, Benarous, Pring could be a key part of an overall team that moves forward at a quick enough rate to keep them together.

David and Arnold Rodgers?

I'm hoping so too...and if Tanner, Vyner Atkinson, Sykes, and Williams keep improving then hopefully it will like you say fast track

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

Conway and Bell reminds me of Riley and Neville. Not big lads but slippery like eels.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Conway, Bell, Benarous, Pring

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm hoping so too...and if Tanner, Vyner Atkinson, Sykes, and Williams keep improving then hopefully it will like you say fast track

Something like this perhaps next season? Maybe not in August, but towards this time next year? Exact positions of midfielders to be finalised but as a rough starting XI it's possible I think. Perhaps adding a proper LW or RW would help as Bell may be needed to cover an injured forward, Benarous likewise re CM. It's 6 academy products in a starting XI!

With Weimann, James, and Naismith as experience to switch into this young (bar old man Wells) XI I think you're getting towards a balanced squad. Questions would remain over the number of players in their prime years, and I'd be amazed if we troubled the top 6, but it's moving in the right direction.

Back of a fag packet stuff but it's possible.

Screenshot_20230118-130326.png

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

While I agree with the premise, we already have a natural goalscorer in Wells, and Antoine is the one player in our squad who can create something from nothing, which I don't think our other attacking players can really do.

In terms of creating something from nothing, Sam didn't do too badly with his goal last night.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In terms of creating something from nothing, Sam didn't do too badly with his goal last night.

Yes a fantastic goal, but I wouldn't say something from nothing, there was space to attack on the break, so more of a counter attacking goal, which could suit Bell very well late in games. I meant a bit more with flair, creativity and physicality with ball at the feet where there is not that space there, rather than using pace on the break. Such as both Semenyo's and Prings assists for Sykes on Saturday.

Edited by marcofisher