IGNORED

Sam Bell

1960maaan

Has to go some to best his dad's tally for us right. Wikipedia has Micky on 292 appearances and 34 goals. Mostly scored in what is now League 1 though. Maybe a goal in the Championship is worth 1.2 old Second Division goals?

Regardless, if Sam Bell gets to 292 appearances for us as a forward he should comfortably eclipse his old man's goal tally.

• Like 2

Congratulations Sam.  Watching these homegrown players make an impact is fantastic and one of the main reasons I go to football, along with watching attacking play.  I appreciate that NP has his faults, but he has managed the introduction of our academy players really well.  Long may it continue.  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cityexile said:

Pretty sure Gary Williams, who I did see, was son of Alan Williams from the late 50s? I know they both scored and have half a memory they were father and son.

Indeed, been bugging me all day when I saw a list of father and son’s for City…and I knew there was another pair.  I used to regularly frequent the Horse & Groom on a lunchtime which they ran (owned?).  Both were really nice blokes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Offside said:

Didn’t he score from two free kicks in quick succession in a match against Plymouth?

Two free kicks from almost identical positions in front of the Atyeo less than three minutes apart to win the match 2-1....

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=114683169247071

Sorry it's facebook but it's the only place I can find the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Congratulations Sam.  Watching these homegrown players make an impact is fantastic and one of the main reasons I go to football, along with watching attacking play.  I appreciate that NP has his faults, but he has managed the introduction of our academy players really well.  Long may it continue.  ?

It was one of the things that tempted me back for a few games this year. I really wanted to see the likes of Scott and Semenyo before they move on. 

• Like 1

• Admin
22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed, been bugging me all day when I saw a list of father and son’s for City…and I knew there was another pair.  I used to regularly frequent the Horse & Groom on a lunchtime which they ran (owned?).  Both were really nice blokes.

Alan had the White Horse on West Street before that, would have been mid- late 70’s, as I played darts for his team and he wasn’t shy of a lock in - Tuesdays were always a tough day to get up and get to school on after leaving there in the early hours…..

23 hours ago, cityexile said:

Pretty sure Gary Williams, who I did see, was son of Alan Williams from the late 50s? I know they both scored and have half a memory they were father and son.

Correct. I saw both of them in their City careers.

Coincidentally, they both went Oldham Athletic when they left City.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Alan had the White Horse on West Street before that, would have been mid- late 70’s, as I played darts for his team and he wasn’t shy of a lock in - Tuesdays were always a tough day to get up and get to school on after leaving there in the early hours…..

Were you teaching or learning? ?

• Admin
30 minutes ago, Midred said:

Were you teaching or learning? ?

Attending might be a better word, well, attending some of the time, when I wasn’t bunking off and wandering round the bike shops and going to Hofbrauhaus, where it was 5p to get in and see the strippers and about 35p for a pint of watery lager……

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

A few posts on here noting how much Sam looks like his dad. 

Morecambe have just signed Micky Mellon`s son on loan from Burnley and a more dead spit of his old man you couldn`t imagine.

Michael Mellon: Morecambe sign Burnley striker on loan until end of season - BBC Sport

Seems like Mr and Mrs Mellon were in a bit of a quandary about what to  name their son ?

• Haha 2

I have to say that Bell's little cameo's are looking better and better, I know he was offside yesterday, but that was the finish of a much more experienced striker. His positioning and movement brought a different dimension to us and he worked well with Tanner. 

For those concerned about his physique, he wasn't phased by their physical defenders either.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have to say that Bell's little cameo's are looking better and better, I know he was offside yesterday, but that was the finish of a much more experienced striker. His positioning and movement brought a different dimension to us and he worked well with Tanner. 

For those concerned about his physique, he wasn't phased by their physical defenders either.

Had me doubts about the kid thought he was a bit lightweight but hes become a man overnight great to see him and conway come through.

I don't think he's quite taken to the Championship as say Conway has, but coming on as a sub for a team who are playing better, retaining the ball and being more of an attacking threat (now are a 4-3-3) will be easier for him to show what he can do and use his attributes better than when we can't string 3 passes together, are defending all the time (when we play 5-3-2).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Agreed. I thought the Blackburn defence looked a bit panicky after Bell came on. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Brilliant movement that resulted in his blocked cross for the corner that ultimately ended in our equaliser too. Said before, just needed a goal to spark confidence in his overall game to play with as much belief as he has across the youth age groups 

Really, really impressed with his movement yesterday. He definitely worried the BB defence and gave great options for balls to run on to. And even though he was offside, that finish was the finish of a decent Championship goal scorer. Feels like he’s come of age this last couple of weeks. 

• Like 3

The "goal" yesterday is the sort of thing he's been doing for a while in the U23s, he can finish.  
The recent games he's really shown up well, all be it against a tiring defence. The cameos he played, and they are few in his "real" position, he hasn't exactly shone. These recent ones it looks like his confidence has grown, he running with purpose and is happy to get into threatening positions. Really unlucky yesterday, but it's great he's getting into those areas. If anything he could have been put through a few more times but the man in possession didn't see him or didn't risk the pass. The more he plays , the better his confidence and hopefully the better others will know his game. Give him the balls to run onto, it's another threat we can use. Really promising.

• Like 3

On 19/01/2023 at 20:39, Maesknoll Red said:

Attending might be a better word, well, attending some of the time, when I wasn’t bunking off and wandering round the bike shops and going to Hofbrauhaus, where it was 5p to get in and see the strippers and about 35p for a pint of watery lager……

I now pay about £6.00 for watery lager

• Haha 2