IGNORED

Nige quite happy today

HappyClapper

50 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Everyone wants City to succeed, but opinions differ as to how best to achieve that.  Nothing wrong with that.  Unfortunately it appears that some of those who strongly support Pearson are unwilling to listen to any other points of view and resort to cheap jibes.  I have mixed feelings about Pearson, so not surprised (or bothered) that opinions about him vary.

It’s hardly the first time he’s been criticised for his handling of the media, after all.  It was thought to be a significant factor in him losing a previous job if I remember rightly.

Presume you’re referring to me.  If so, can you point out where I’m ‘unwilling to listen to other points of view’ and where I’ve used a ‘cheap jibe’.  Ta. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Personally, I couldn’t see anything wrong with this interview at all. Yes, NIge was clearly frustrated not having won the game, but I thought he was perfectly respectful to the interviewer throughout and answered all his questions politely.

I know, I was surprised this thread descended from Nige was happy to Nige was a miserable sod.

24 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

Personally, I couldn’t see anything wrong with this interview at all. Yes, NIge was clearly frustrated not having won the game, but I thought he was perfectly respectful to the interviewer throughout and answered all his questions politely.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know, I was surprised this thread descended from Nige was happy to Nige was a miserable sod.

In fairness, I think it got there via his Radio Bristol interview! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Have you actually just leapt to the defense of a consistent troll who in this very thread refers to the managers paypacket as a jibe and then accused others of "cheap jibes" for pointing out the desperation of said poster? 

Behave. 

Ah, the Pearson out are reasonable trope. Wonderful. Think I'm just gonna pop you on ignore, boss. Nothing to be gained from this. 

The thing is, there are half a dozen posters who’ve suggested that NP might not be perfect. Not just one consistent troll. Indeed, posters who are anything but blinkered  “Nige out” advocates. And one of them, who’s one of the more consistently balanced posters on here, you’ve just put on ignore.

You’re in danger of doing exactly what you accuse the “Nige out” brigade of doing, only from the opposite end of the spectrum - the ‘Nige can do no wrong’ brigade. 

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I listened to that on the way home…At worst a frustrated Nige, but hardly rude.

He has been rude though on numerous occasions. Brusque, dismissive and even offensive to reporters just trying to do their job and let the man have his say to the fans who pay money to watch the teams he puts out.

As I've been in those guys shoes, the lack of courtesy does rankle with me, somewhat. 

Has nothing to do with his management ability, just I'd rather he dropped the paranoid the 'media are out to get me' tone that seems to lurk at some of his press appearances. 

Personally I always thought Pearson was the right man to clean up the mess made by <insert several initials here> and my view has not changed. 

We have players from our academy some of whom have huge value and most of the nuts pay packers for sweet nothing have gone!

While the bloke is developing a team, largely from our own academy, we have not got the rub of the green to put it mildly with fouls in the area or often on the field. Saturday being an excellent example. However we are currently competitive and in the fourth round of the cup. 

My own comment earlier was that he has become a lot less abrasive pre match, but can come off as that post match! In view of what I’ve outlined I would suggest the bloke has a passion for the role and realizes like the rest of us that we too often do not get our due. 

I do wonder if he somehow thinks there is an issue with him that is reflected on the field, who knows! However, he was not rude , he was a bit pissed off particularly about the Peno and the offside, but to be frank I sometimes think part of the problem with our club is that supporters are not pissed off enough and this semi ambivalence is responsible for 43 years of competitive failure. 

Anyone ask the interviewer what he felt about it? Might be a good idea! If he wasn’t offended then perhaps some should be less offended for him and more offended that our players do not get their due consistently  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HitchinRed said:

His frustration at not winning games seems to be quite a recurrent theme. He needs to find a way

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Personally I always thought Pearson was the right man to clean up the mess made by <insert several initials here> and my view has not changed. 

We have players from our academy some of whom have huge value and most of the nuts pay packers for sweet nothing have gone!

While the bloke is developing a team, largely from our own academy, we have not got the rub of the green to put it mildly with fouls in the area or often on the field. Saturday being an excellent example. However we are currently competitive and in the fourth round of the cup. 

My own comment earlier was that he has become a lot less abrasive pre match, but can come off as that post match! In view of what I’ve outlined I would suggest the bloke has a passion for the role and realizes like the rest of us that we too often do not get our due. 

I do wonder if he somehow thinks there is an issue with him that is reflected on the field, who knows! However, he was not rude , he was a bit pissed off particularly about the Peno and the offside, but to be frank I sometimes think part of the problem with our club is that supporters are not pissed off enough and this semi ambivalence is responsible for 43 years of competitive failure. 

Anyone ask the interviewer what he felt about it? Might be a good idea! If he wasn’t offended then perhaps some should be less offended for him and more offended that our players do not get their due consistently  

Reference your penultimate paragraph.

Go somewhere like Stoke, Derby, Sheff U and plenty of other clubs in Midlands and North. If they don't get clear free kicks or penalties, for very obvious fouls, they will give the referee / lines hell for the remainder of the game and almost scare the officials into giving a dodgy one later in the match.

We're so used to not even getting the clear cut ones that we only make any noise about it for the next ten seconds.

I've seen this so many times over a lifetime of away games. I've seen refs and linesmen visibly shaking in fear. And along comes the penalty or free kick to shut the crowd up.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I know journalists find him a difficult person to deal with.  This has been a recurrent theme throughout his career, not just at City.

I don't think he's generally abrassive, but he does need to understand that reporters are just doing a job the same as he is. By publicising the club and its games, they engender interest in it and the sport generally. 

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Reference your penultimate paragraph.

Go somewhere like Stoke, Derby, Sheff U and plenty of other clubs in Midlands and North. If they don't get clear free kicks or penalties, for very obvious fouls, they will give the referee/ lines he'll for the remainder of the game and almost scare the officials into giving a dodgy one later in the match.

We're so used to not even getting the clear cut ones that we only make any noise about it for the next ten seconds.

I've seen this so many times over a lifetime of away games. I've seen refs and linesmen visibly shaking in fear. And along comes the penalty or free kick to shut the crowd up.

Exactly. But this non phenomena at Ashton Gate has been an issue I think from 82. It’s as if there is a culture of we are lucky to be here don’t make too much noise, about anything!

Pearson makes noise and tells it like it is, to the point of telling us how teams used to like to come to nice little Ashton Gate. 

It feels like a culture change is underway much deeper than many comprehend. The fact that our away supporters is sooo much more vociferous than we are at home. The fact we don’t have noisy home support behind a goal and yet give that to away supporters is nuts and one of the few things Johnson got right. 

• Robin 1

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I know journalists find him a difficult person to deal with.  This has been a recurrent theme throughout his career, not just at City.

I don't think he's generally abrassive, but he does need to understand that reporters are just doing a job the same as he is. By publicising the club and its games, they engender interest in it and the sport generally. 

I’m not sure mildly abrasive interviews and pointing out decisions that went against us again and again and particularly, in this case, ask what did you think about the penalty (?) will stop any new interest in the club! But hey you may be right.

“Dad I don’t want to go to the football because that horrible Mr Pearson was beastly to the nice journalist”

Yes I know that last bit was glib, but we maybe living on different planets. 

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

It’s interesting you ask that.  When Ali Durden interviewed Nige post the match where he came out and said the stuff about Atkinson / King / Trust, @3 Peaps In A PodCasthad Ali on their pod that evening / following morning.  He took no offence whatsoever, didn’t find Nige rude, went on to add that he hadn’t interviewed him that often, so hadn’t built a rapport, but when he’s been up at the RHPC he mentioned how fondly everyone thinks of Nige.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I’m not sure mildly abrasive interviews and pointing out decisions that went against us again and again and particularly, in this case, ask what did you think about the penalty (?) will stop any new interest in the club! But hey you may be right.

“Dad I don’t want to go to the football because that horrible Mr Pearson was beastly to the nice journalist”

Yes I know that last bit was glib, but we maybe living on different planets. 

I didn't say his occasional rudeness to journalists will stop attendances. There are lots of successful but ignorant sportsmen.  It doesn't engender much sympathy though when things go wrong for them however. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s interesting you ask that.  When Ali Durden interviewed Nige post the match where he came out and said the stuff about Atkinson / King / Trust, @3 Peaps In A PodCasthad Ali on their pod that evening / following morning.  He took no offence whatsoever, didn’t find Nige rude, went on to add that he hadn’t interviewed him that often, so hadn’t built a rapport, but when he’s been up at the RHPC he mentioned how fondly everyone thinks of Nige.

I think you'll find that no one who has to work in an ongoing situation with a manager and a club would criticise the media skills of him and them in public.  It would be professional suicide. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Exactly! I really do wish some were not as soft and offended as they are! 

Durden is a professional and part of the interview is the way it’s made and responded to. The fact we are talking about it on here means Durden got the required result. 

——

IMO We are a soft ass club, which is reflected in our home support and quite a lot on here. Where we were two years ago was in many ways a reflection of this. Would people prefer bullshit bingo on radio Brizz at 5oc on a Saturday. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly. But this non phenomena at Ashton Gate has been an issue I think from 82. It’s as if there is a culture of we are lucky to be here don’t make too much noise, about anything!

Pearson makes noise and tells it like it is, to the point of telling us how teams used to like to come to nice little Ashton Gate. 

It feels like a culture change is underway much deeper than many comprehend. The fact that our away supporters is sooo much more vociferous than we are at home. The fact we don’t have noisy home support behind a goal and yet give that to away supporters is nuts and one of the few things Johnson got right. 

Yes again. Prior to 1982, IMO we were much more noisy than since. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

5 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I didn't say his occasional rudeness to journalists will stop attendances. There are lots of successful but ignorant sportsmen.  It doesn't engender much sympathy though when things go wrong for them however. 

You said as above. Apparently declined interest will be reflected in Pearson’s interviews “in it” (Bristol City FC or am I wrong?) and sport in general. 

Your word was ignorant. I didn’t see anything ignorant on any interview he’s done in fact he has been pretty accurate and knowledgeable in all his interviews. Durden likes him and has no problem with him as such I am  not so sure who we are referring to in your term sympathy when things go wrong (not sure what that means) I guess yours. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You said as above. Apparently declined interest will be reflected in Pearson’s interviews “in it” (Bristol City FC or am I wrong?) and sport in general. 

Your word was ignorant. I didn’t see anything ignorant on any interview he’s done in fact he has been pretty accurate and knowledgeable in all his interviews. Durden likes him and has no problem with him as such I am  not so sure who we are referring to in your term sympathy when things go wrong (not sure what that means) I guess yours. 

I think assuming journalists like him is a very big leap and one you are making without knowing what those in the media actually think.

Of course, individual interviews do not stop people going to matches, but the fact that football is featured in the media very extensively and has been since its inception, is one of the things that helped the sport to grow.  Reporters today are part of that symbiotic relationship with the sport. They engender interest in it. Without fail, they are fans who like writing about football. 

In the big picture, it's a very minor gripe about Pearson. His main job is to get the team to perform successfully and (as you've said) build a continuing culture here that can sustain success and help a relatively small club compete against some much wealthier adversaries. 

I didn't hear his post-match thoughts on R Bris, so here I'm talking about some other occasions where I felt he let professionalism slip and was discourteous to reporters doing their job.  I worked in the industry, so perhaps I am more disappointed when managers cannot be respectful. 

18 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think assuming journalists like him is a very big leap and one you are making without knowing what those in the media actually think.

Of course, individual interviews do not stop people going to matches, but the fact that football is featured in the media very extensively and has been since its inception, is one of the things that helped the sport to grow.  Reporters today are part of that symbiotic relationship with the sport. They engender interest in it. Without fail, they are fans who like writing about football. 

In the big picture, it's a very minor gripe about Pearson. His main job is to get the team to perform successfully and (as you've said) build a continuing culture here that can sustain success and help a relatively small club compete against some much wealthier adversaries. 

I didn't hear his post-match thoughts on R Bris, so here I'm talking about some other occasions where I felt he let professionalism slip and was discourteous to reporters doing their job.  I worked in the industry, so perhaps I am more disappointed when managers cannot be respectful. 

A friend has asked Messrs Twentyman and Durden if they would like to comment on sound of the City tonight.!

We will see. 

Your comment in your last sentence “disappointed when managers can not be respectful” are again your words. I don’t see or hear disrespect. But of course I’m not in your head, although it seems like the narrative of one or two. 

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Are you equally as disappointed when journalist hound managers out of their positions? Sounds an arsey question but not meant to be - I’m interested as surely it’s a two way street and gunning for people to be sacked is not respectful? 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A friend has asked Messrs Twentyman and Durden if they would like to comment on sound of the City tonight.!

We will see. 

Your comment in your last sentence “disappointed when managers can not be respectful” are again your words. I don’t see or hear disrespect. But of course I’m not in your head, although it seems like the narrative of one or two. 

7 minutes ago, lenred said:

Are you equally as disappointed when journalist hound managers out of their positions? Sounds an arsey question but not meant to be - I’m interested as surely it’s a two way street and gunning for people to be sacked is not respectful? 

Lovely that you identify so strongly with the man that I literally cannot offer the slightest criticism of him without getting this sort of response.

Good job I didn't get started on my opinions of those gilets he wears.  :laughcont:

I'll leave you with three thoughts: a local journalist doing a public broadcast is never going to say "I find so-and-so difficult and a bit rude and patronising" unless said individual has left their local club and maybe even retired. It just will never happen. You have to work with the guy. You cannot fall out while he's in his job. Saying "I have yet to establish a rapport" but guys who work with him in the game like him is NOT the same as saying you personally like him. I think those words were quite carefully chosen.

Secondly, managers get sacked for all sorts of reasons but never in my experience because they are hounded out by journalists. Most are sacked because they lose lots of games. Journalists would be remiss if they failed to mention crowd disquiet, demonstrations etc, as they did when there were widespread LJ out feeling. In that case, I think Lee was given an opportunity to give his thoughts on them, as was Steve Lansdown. I'm unaware of any "hounding" of Nigel by the press here, only in social media by fans. Do you have an example of an "arsey" comment he has had to endure, Len?

Thirdly, just to remind you of this: 

46 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It isn't part of a Pearson-out agenda. He'll stand or fall on his record, not on his professionalism in dealing with reporters. I hope we continue seeing signs of improvement on the pitch. 

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Lovely that you identify so strongly with the man that I literally cannot offer the slightest criticism of him without getting this sort of response.

Good job I didn't get started on my opinions of those gilets he wears.  :laughcont:

I'll leave you with three thoughts: a local journalist doing a public broadcast is never going to say "I find so-and-so difficult and a bit rude and patronising" unless said individual has left their local club and maybe even retired. It just will never happen. You have to work with the guy. You cannot fall out while he's in his job. Saying "I have yet to establish a rapport" but guys who work with him in the game like him is NOT the same as saying you personally like him. I think those words were quite carefully chosen.

Secondly, managers get sacked for all sorts of reasons but never in my experience because they are hounded out by journalists. Most are sacked because they lose lots of games. Journalists would be remiss if they failed to mention crowd disquiet, demonstrations etc, as they did when there were widespread LJ out feeling. In that case, I think Lee was given an opportunity to give his thoughts on them, as was Steve Lansdown. I'm unaware of any "hounding" of Nigel by the press here, only in social media by fans. Do you have an example of an "arsey" comment he has had to endure, Len?

Thirdly, just to remind you of this: 

It isn't part of a Pearson-out agenda. He'll stand or fall on his record, not on his professionalism in dealing with reporters. I hope we continue seeing signs of improvement on the pitch. 

What do you mean this sort of response! Free speech is a two way street. You made your comments I made mine on what you said.

Didn’t you quote me first?

Edited by REDOXO

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

You seem quite offended. No offence is intended. 

You said this sort of response referring to me. (I don’t speak for anyone else) The inference is clear. My responses were fine. 

Offended again is your word!

Edited by REDOXO

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

You said this sort of response referring to me. (I don’t speak for anyone else) The inference is clear. My responses were fine. 

Offended again is your word!

:dunno:

Don't know what to say RO. We usually agree on stuff.

I just made observations based on how I'd feel if someone spoke to me as Pearson has - at times - spoken to journalists. Being from the industry, I gave my background tuppence-worth on how that's received by those still working in it. 

FWIW I actually think his answers are usually quite illuminating and thoughtful. He just needs to be a bit less abrasive delivering them.