IGNORED

French Baguette Traditional

spudski

...I'm craving a traditional French Baguette. 

A proper one...made the traditional French Way. With no preservatives. That crunch, smell, soft fluffy inner....that you know will be as hard as a baseball bat by dinner. Has to be eaten fresh and on the day.

I can't find any bakers that do this around Brizzle. 

Does anyone know of a bakers that does?

Well as the name suggests, the tradition must be made using the traditional methods, while a baguette can include extra ingredients.

A tradition must be made using only flour, yeast, salt and water – the recipe specified in the French government's 'bread decree' of 1993.

On a side note...bread baking can be so time consuming. I've stumbled on this recipe that is quick and makes incredible bread. Really tasty. Good rise, good crust, fluffy and light in middle. Can highly recommend. I make one every week and it's so easy.

https://pinchofyum.com/no-knead-bread 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

A proper one...made the traditional French Way. With no preservatives. That crunch, smell, soft fluffy inner....that you know will be as hard as a baseball bat by dinner. Has to be eaten fresh and on the day.

Well as the name suggests, the tradition must be made using the traditional methods, while a baguette can include extra ingredients.

A tradition must be made using only flour, yeast, salt and water – the recipe specified in the French government's 'bread decree' of 1993.

On a side note...bread baking can be so time consuming. I've stumbled on this recipe that is quick and makes incredible bread. Really tasty. Good rise, good crust, fluffy and light in middle. Can highly recommend. I make one every week and it's so easy.

Mmmm. Getting hungry now.

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Same here...DOH!

They do one here Spud that when you bite into it there are Lardons, Chorizo or Cheese stuffed inside with cheese also drizzled on the outside. Think they are called Gringnettes or something. Our local boulangerie always save me 2 on a Sunday whatever they are called. Those along with a Tresse and I am stuffed for the day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

They do one here Spud that when you bite into it there are Lardons, Chorizo or Cheese stuffed inside with cheese also drizzled on the outside. Think they are called Gringnettes or something. Our local boulangerie always save me 2 on a Sunday whatever they are called. Those along with a Tresse and I am stuffed for the day.

Sounds gorgeous. I miss living in France just for the Baguette. I read yesterday that the amount of baguettes sold in France equates to half per person per day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Not exactly what you're after, but we often get the small part baked rolls and do them in the air fryer. 
Can come out really nicely, crispy and warm. 

Unfortunately just not in the same league.

The bread we have in this country is pretty damn poor imo...even the Artisan stuff.

I've got Hobbs near me. It's overpriced tat imo

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unfortunately just not in the same league.

The bread we have in this country is pretty damn poor imo...even the Artisan stuff.

I've got Hobbs near me. It's overpriced tat imo

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Super market stuff that never goes off (worrying) even the stuff from the local bakers is just ok. Plus I'm so over sour dough, sadly the Mrs loves it. But at least the part baked ones are warm and fresh. Apparently there is a Boulangerie at the top of Park street, though Trip adviser reviews aren't universally good. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree. Super market stuff that never goes off (worrying) even the stuff from the local bakers is just ok. Plus I'm so over sour dough, sadly the Mrs loves it. But at least the part baked ones are warm and fresh. Apparently there is a Boulangerie at the top of Park street, though Trip adviser reviews aren't universally good. 

The recipe I put up in the OP is to die for just out the oven. Worth giving it a go if you like warm crusty bread. ?

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

You're probably best off just buying a flight to France. I've never had any baked goodies over here that taste like they do in France. Even chains of Paul somehow manage to be inferior on this side of the channel. 

You could try one of the two best bakeries in Bristol (imo) Farro or Harts. 

I agree with you. We just aren't that good at bread in this country, when comparing it to our neighbours.

I've tried Farro..it was ok.

With a bit of research, this place looks promising for it's baguettes.

https://www.wildyeastbakery.co.uk/

28 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I don’t know what they put in bread in this country, the flour used maybe? But it rarely goes down as well as French bread does. Always feel bloated with bread here.

Not the main thing I miss from 11 years living in France but it’s up there.

Preservatives and other nasties.

Lots of people get diagnosed as gluten intolerant, when they actually aren't. Sometimes it's down to the additives etc.

I get bloated and feel lethargic if I eat processed bread and foods high in additives and preservatives. I also get severe joint ache if I eat too much processed food.

When eating bread or pasta in France or Italy I get none of these problems.

Milk I also avoid now for the same reasons. 

I find if I eat anything ' natural' that man hasn't mucked around with too much, I'm generally fine.

If I can pick it, fish it, kill it...as we are imo intended too...then my body thanks me.

Why can't we just leave things as they are meant to be. We are so fecked up these days.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Lots of people get diagnosed as gluten intolerant, when they actually aren't. Sometimes it's down to the additives etc.

I get bloated and feel lethargic if I eat processed bread and foods high in additives and preservatives. I also get severe joint ache if I eat too much processed food.

I find if I eat anything ' natural' that man hasn't mucked around with too much, I'm generally fine.

If I can pick it, fish it, kill it...as we are imo intended too...then my body thanks me.

Why can't we just leave things as they are meant to be. We are so fecked up these days.

100% agree and suffer the same problems. I’m fine if I eat clean 

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

I get the same if I eat anything with nuts in. Can put me on my bum for a couple of days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Is that something that has developed over time? Or you've always had it?

I've a friend with a nut allergy. It developed in her 30s.

Always had it. Takes all my energy. My Sister is the same.

Edited by BigTone
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

Always had it. Takes all my energy. My Sister is the same.

Over active immune system as a young en maybe.

It's an interesting allergy when you look into it. 

29 minutes ago, Colombo Robin said:

Shouldn't that be.....DOUGH!

Indeed...I missed a trick ?

11 hours ago, spudski said:

You know, the last time I had anything that resembled a proper French baguette it was from The Spar. That was some time ago. Baguettes in the UK are usually too chewy and heavy.

This is bringing back memories of one of the best sandwiches ever, up the slopes near in Val Thorens. Roast beef and sun blush tomatoes…or smoked salmon and cream cheese. Yummy. I think the quality of the bread made it.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, exAtyeoMax said:

You know, the last time I had anything that resembled a proper French baguette it was from The Spar. That was some time ago. Baguettes in the UK are usually too chewy and heavy.

This is bringing back memories of one of the best sandwiches ever, up the slopes near in Val Thorens. Roast beef and sun blush tomatoes…or smoked salmon and cream cheese. Yummy. I think the quality of the bread made it.

I recently watched a programme on how traditional French Baguettes are made. The baker was working 16 hour days. It's such a time consuming practice. But how good is the product...there is literally nothing like it. It's so worth the effort.

Your memory of Val Thorens has me smiling. I've skied there many times...highest village in Europe. It's the first place I ever experienced altitude ' sickness'. As in I felt extremely dizzy on the first day and got pissed after two pints ?? soon got used to it.

I used to run Ski Chalets in La Plagne. Every morning the local baker delivered baguettes freshly baked that morning. A large flour bag full of them. I'd pick them out, and they'd be used for breakfast and afternoon tea. After that...they were done. 

Literally salivating writing this. The basic ingredients were so good. Bread, cheese, ham, wine...jeeze...I lived on that for months ??

Happy days. The French are so lucky having that available everyday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

I recently watched a programme on how traditional French Baguettes are made. The baker was working 16 hour days. It's such a time consuming practice. But how good is the product...there is literally nothing like it. It's so worth the effort.

Your memory of Val Thorens has me smiling. I've skied there many times...highest village in Europe. It's the first place I ever experienced altitude ' sickness'. As in I felt extremely dizzy on the first day and got pissed after two pints ?? soon got used to it.

I used to run Ski Chalets in La Plagne. Every morning the local baker delivered baguettes freshly baked that morning. A large flour bag full of them. I'd pick them out, and they'd be used for breakfast and afternoon tea. After that...they were done. 

Literally salivating writing this. The basic ingredients were so good. Bread, cheese, ham, wine...jeeze...I lived on that for months ??

Happy days. The French are so lucky having that available everyday.

Yes skiing diet of cheese, ham, bread or ham, bread, cheese, or even bread, cheese and ham. ? lovely!

• Like 1

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

Yes skiing diet of cheese, ham, bread or ham, bread, cheese, or even bread, cheese and ham. ? lovely!

It's great if you are visiting for a week...like you say...I filled them up with bread, cheese, cream, more cheese, ham, more cheese, more cream, some butter and lashings of vino. ??

I literally watched them balloon. 

I had to eat away from the tourists. I craved spicy food after two months. But you still can't beat a good Baguette or Croque Monsieur.

• Like 1

I make a lot of bread.

It's the fat that is used in breadmaking that preserves the bread longer. I only use 5 ingredients. Baguettes use 4 as mentioned above.  Olive oil is the fat content and the 5th ingredient.

I also brew my own beer. The 'trub' (the Yeast etc that falls to the bottom of the barrel/keg) before conditioning makes excellent beer bread. I use the same recipe but the trub is part of the water.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudski said:

It's great if you are visiting for a week...like you say...I filled them up with bread, cheese, cream, more cheese, ham, more cheese, more cream, some butter and lashings of vino. ??

I literally watched them balloon. 

I had to eat away from the tourists. I craved spicy food after two months. But you still can't beat a good Baguette or Croque Monsieur.

Or cheese fondue, or tartiflette if you want something different ?

• Haha 1

It’s not baguette shaped and it’s not French but as you appreciate a decent loaf I recommend you try the ‘low GI’ (not glucose intolerant..) bread in Lidl? 
it’s a really crusty loaf (round boule - French!) that is so light and tasty ??

£1:59 a pop and you’ll probably need to get there early ish to be sure of getting one, although some stores also bake during the day so it’s a bit of pot luck if it’s in stock. 

• Like 2

On 24/01/2023 at 10:34, spudski said:

That is a great recipe. Made it yesterday and baked this afternoon. Think the difference is the length of prove and the bake in the Dutch oven 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

That is a great recipe. Made it yesterday and baked this afternoon. Think the difference is the length of prove and the bake in the Dutch oven 

Glad you enjoyed it. I've actually made it after leaving the dough to rise for only one hour. It had doubled trebled in size in that short amount of time. I put it in a heated microwave. Empty microwave heated for 5 mins kept it's heat inside and allowed the dough to rise. Then straight onto grease proof paper...and then plonked straight into the pre heated Croque pot. The rise, bake, crust and lightness, and fluffy interior really is a delight.

On a side note...I bought two traditional Baguettes from wild yeast in Staple Hill today. £2.30 each.

Exceptional crust and texture...very near but still no cigar. The flavour just wasn't how it is in France...even though it's left to prove 48 hours. Fantastic Pastel de nata though...highly recommend.

• Like 1