IGNORED

Bolton v FGR - wrong man sent off

Davefevs

Dion Charles sent off for punching a FGR player, apart from it wasn’t him, but another player (Kachunga).  Looks like Lino got the wrong player.  Surely the player who did it goes up to the officials, admits it was him, not Charles.  Charles must be furious with his teammate?

I seem to recall an incident involving Arsenal maybe 6 seasons ago where a player handballed it on the line and got sent off, but again it was the wrong guy that saw the red. The guilty player said ‘ref, it was me!’ (it was easy to lip read on the sky cameras) - but they went with their decision. Maybe a case of not wanting teams to sacrifice a ‘less important’ player? A case for VAR certainly.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gibbs were the two involved iirc.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I seem to recall an incident involving Arsenal maybe 6 seasons ago where a player handballed it on the line and got sent off, but again it was the wrong guy that saw the red. The guilty player said ‘ref, it was me!’ (it was easy to lip read on the sky cameras) - but they went with their decision. Maybe a case of not wanting teams to sacrifice a ‘less important’ player? A case for VAR certainly.

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Gibbs were the two involved iirc.

Yeah, remember that, cracking save iirc?

It will be interesting to see how this plays out - obviously Bolton will appeal the red, but as the officials have seen it and dealt with it (albeit wrongly) can they retrospectively send a player off or sanction him? I’m unsure of the rules but i thought there was something that if the ref has dealt with it there and then, nothing else can be done…..I’m probably wrong!! 

4 minutes ago, Rob k said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out - obviously Bolton will appeal the red, but as the officials have seen it and dealt with it (albeit wrongly) can they retrospectively send a player off or sanction him? I’m unsure of the rules but i thought there was something that if the ref has dealt with it there and then, nothing else can be done…..I’m probably wrong!! 

I may be wrong too, but that’s what I thought too. However, presumably there’s a case for saying that - in terms of Kachunga - the ref hasn’t dealt with it. He’s not been punished at all. So it could be looked at retrospectively - and given the nature of the offence, get a significant ban. But what do I know either! 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

I may be wrong too, but that’s what I thought too. However, presumably there’s a case for saying that - in terms of Kachunga - the ref hasn’t dealt with it. He’s not been punished at all. So it could be looked at retrospectively - and given the nature of the offence, get a significant ban. But what do I know either! 

Yes - good point.
I shall keep an eye on this as will be interesting to see what happens. 

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Fairly sure they just transfer the suspension to the correct player.

I think..

Technically they’ll do it as an appeal Charles red card, it’ll be successful and rescinded. 

Kachunga will be cited and red carded/banned.

By hook or crook, the right man will end up banned. My only question is whether Kachunga could get a longer ban for “deceiving the referee”

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think..

Technically they’ll do it as an appeal Charles red card, it’ll be successful and rescinded. 

Kachunga will be cited and red carded/banned.

By hook or crook, the right man will end up banned. My only question is whether Kachunga could get a longer ban for “deceiving the referee”

I guess it depends on whether Kachunga was telling the Lino it was him…it didn’t look like it though.

Looks like the linesman made the mistake, he would have been looking along the line and spotted the punch, the refs eyes would have been following the ball which was a fair distance from the 'action'.

You can see how it could have happened as both forwards were in the same line of sight for the lino. A laugh at the officials I guess but as others have said the guilty player should have owned up. Lucky it didn't affect the result.

9 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Looks like the linesman made the mistake, he would have been looking along the line and spotted the punch, the refs eyes would have been following the ball which was a fair distance from the 'action'.

You can see how it could have happened as both forwards were in the same line of sight for the lino. A laugh at the officials I guess but as others have said the guilty player should have owned up. Lucky it didn't affect the result.

All the “experts” on Sky were blaming the referee, he was acting solely on the advice of his linesman so hardly his fault, shouldn’t it have been a penalty as well?

40 minutes ago, harrys said:

All the “experts” on Sky were blaming the referee, he was acting solely on the advice of his linesman so hardly his fault, shouldn’t it have been a penalty as well?

In answer to the last question, I think the collective experience amongst everyone on here would be that even if he’d punched him in the face, and then kicked him to the floor……on the balance of probabilities, not. 

19 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Genuine question, have you ever refereed a game?.

I once had a go at school but otherwise no. The point is I understand how difficult the job is and it's not my intention to belittle those that do it, but there appears to be a general consensus now among football supporters and even among retired referees that the standards of refereeing in the UK is at an all time low.

I don't think the job had been made any easier by constant fiddling with the laws of the game, including the introduction of VAR, and interference by the football authorities, but rightly or wrongly I feel today's officials lack the backbone or moral fibre to stand up to the beauracracy or even to have the courage of their own convictions. Too often these days games seem to be managed remotely when the matchday officials should be the sole arbiters and allowed to apply the laws of the game without outside interference. However, how often do you see a referee stand by his decision instead of wimping out and changing tack often incorrectly. The likes of Clive Thomas, Roger Fitzpatrick etc would never have stood for it. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Typo alteration

It's not a new topic. Happened over 20 years ago. City reserve game v Spurs played at Clevedon. We had Dwayne Plummer and Dominic Barclay playing if memory serves me right. Dwayne swings a punch knocking Spurs player to floor. Cue rough scenes. Ref sends Dominoic off who I think played no part in the incident.

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I once had a go at school but otherwise no. The point is I understand how difficult the job is and it's not my intention to belittle those that do it, but there appears to be a general consensus now among football supporters and even among retired referees that the standards of refereeing in the UK is at an all time low.

I don't think the job had been made any easier by constant fiddling with the laws of the game, including the introduction of VAR, and interference by the football authorities, but rightly or wrongly I feel today's officials lack the backbone or moral fibre to stand up to the beauracracy or even to have the courage of their own convictions. Too often these days games seem to be managed remotely when the matchday officials should be the sole arbiters and allowed to apply the laws of the game without outside interference. However, how often do you see a referee stand by his decision instead of wimping out and changing tack often incorrectly. The likes of Clive Thomas, Roger Fitzpatrick etc would never have stood for it. 

I don’t see any of that in General refereeing. It’s only in games with VAR where that potentially does happen.

The big change in the current generation of officials is that ‘everything is now filmed, and filmed from every angle possible. The officials ( outside of the PL) only get one angle, the angle they see things from. Every incident is scrutinised on social media, everybody has their own opinion of it. Officials are under scrutiny more than they have ever been. 
Clive Thomas and the like were allowed to use common sense back in the day, as they were not scrutinised to the extend todays officials are. Nowadays there are NO grey areas, you apply the laws of the game, or face the wrath of the accessors, and the accessors are brutal.

This is partly why so many officials are quitting the game, plus the behaviour of the players on the pitch. Cheating and play acting are rife nowadays, every player will cheat at any stage. There are no exceptions. 

All in all I think the current officials are as good as they have ever been, they are far far fitter than previous generations, and as always… make far far less mistakes than the players on the pitch ever do!.