IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

48 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Just in case anyone was wondering how worried they are about playing us...

https://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/threads/fa-cup-5th-round-draw-bristol-city-a.358387/

“Odds on them getting their first penalty in last year and a half against us!”

I like it 

5 minutes ago, BCFC101 said:

I might be misunderstanding your point but isn't this exactly the reason why we should be allowed to be excited to play a top 6 team, given that we're not good enough to play them regularly? The whole idea of any sport is to take on and try to beat the best out there, and when those chances are few and far between like they are for us then surely your relish that opportunity as a whole club

See your point mate, but there's an important distinction IMO:

• It's exciting to compete with top 6 teams.
  • It's not exciting to be battered by a top 6 team.

I'm very excited about the idea of becoming a top half premier league team a la Brighton, who can compete with such clubs.

I hate the idea of being hammered 6-0 on live TV.

In other words, it's the idea of becoming a club who can compete with the very best which is exciting, not the act of simply playing these clubs.

3 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

See your point mate, but there's an important distinction IMO:

• It's exciting to compete with top 6 teams.
  • It's not exciting to be battered by a top 6 team.

I'm very excited about the idea of becoming a top half premier league team a la Brighton, who can compete with such clubs.

I hate the idea of being hammered 6-0 on live TV.

In other words, it's the idea of becoming a club who can compete with the very best which is exciting, not the act of simply playing these clubs.

You’re assuming we’re going to get battered. Did you assume that last time we played them, when we took the lead at their place and remained in the tie until the very last kick of the second leg - and even had a chance to force extra time just before that?

The excitement comes not just from the stature of the opposition or the big occasion, but that tiny fraction of a possibility that we might cause an upset. That hope - however unlikely - is what football is all about! It feels like you don’t get it.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

It's not just the TV money, being on terrestrial TV it is the advertising revenue via electronic boards etc where some big money can be made.

We should get around 300k from TV. 

About the same from tickets too at least.

Then we get all the things like advertising, hospitality, merch, food and drink.

This one tie will easily net us at least 750k. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Listening to Leeds v City - I did say in my original post. :)

I was at college back then.

I was still in school and, thanks to the late, great Beryl Fudge, managed to get a seat on one of the supporters club coaches.

I honestly can’t remember if the match was all ticket, but I remember standing on the terrace behind the goal, celebrating when Don Gillies scored by cheering and jumping up and down (for about two seconds ?) and then the hair raising walk back to the coach.

A truly wonderful day.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What on earth were you doing in the bath, on a midweek afternoon?

I have to say this result did stretch my memory to its limit. I was at the home game at AG but I reckon I didn't find out the score in the replay until I got home from school later that afternoon. One of those 'you know where you were when you heard the news' moments, but only just.

On the discussion of how many fans they’ll give,  I noticed man United vs reading the other night there was just over 3k reading fans there - which as a % of the stadium capacity is tiny -75k I think .. I wonder how they figure it out and agree . I’d love them to give as few as possible and have as many fans behind atyeo as possible in red and white .. 

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

Surely it’s fixtures like this we live for? 

No one ever really remembers league games against mediocrity. 

Even now we still talk about the key Cup ties and play off games of the last 40 years and this could be another. 

Problem for us over the decades is that we absolutely do remember our mediocrity in league games.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

Surely it’s fixtures like this we live for? 

No one ever really remembers league games against mediocrity. 

Even now we still talk about the key Cup ties and play off games of the last 40 years and this could be another. 

Spot on. Absolutely nothing wrong with getting giddy with excitement over playing one of the best sides in Europe.

I'm a YTFC fan and although we've obviously spent almost all our history miles from the Prem (so the gap is bigger!), the days I look back on are the days where we had little or no chance of winning against the giants. Arsenal x 2, Liverpool, Man United x 2 and even some of the Championship sides we didn't have a prayer against. Once queueing out all night in the drizzle to get tickets for Liverpool at home.... these days literally don't come around very often so don't let anyone rain on your parade and say it's anything but fantastically exciting. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

No one gave us a snowball’s chance in hell against the mighty Leeds Utd. 

I well remember the late Bill Shankly having to apologise when, after the draw for the next round was made (before the replay) he commented how exciting the next round would be and how much people would enjoy watching Liverpool away to Leeds.

• Thanks 1