IGNORED

Fifth Round Draw: Home to Man City

BUTOR

47 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

See your point mate, but there's an important distinction IMO:

• It's exciting to compete with top 6 teams.
  • It's not exciting to be battered by a top 6 team.

I'm very excited about the idea of becoming a top half premier league team a la Brighton, who can compete with such clubs.

I hate the idea of being hammered 6-0 on live TV.

In other words, it's the idea of becoming a club who can compete with the very best which is exciting, not the act of simply playing these clubs.

Last time out it was 2-3. Certainly NOT a 6-0 thrashing. Play like we did on Saturday and I think we've got a great chance. 

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You’re assuming we’re going to get battered. Did you assume that last time we played them, when we took the lead at their place and remained in the tie until the very last kick of the second leg - and even had a chance to force extra time just before that?

The excitement comes not just from the stature of the opposition or the big occasion, but that tiny fraction of a possibility that we might cause an upset. That hope - however unlikely - is what football is all about! It feels like you don’t get it.

I see where you're coming from mate, but I don't like our club & fans assuming the identity of 'minnows'.

My dream for City is for us to do what clubs like Brighton and Brentford have done - get to the Premier League, be able to compete with the best, and genuinely have a decent chance against top 6 teams. When Brighton beat Liverpool yesterday it wasn't seen as a massive upset or an amazing underdog story, it was seen as one respectable Premier League side beating another respectable Premier League side.

The opposite of that idea is what I allude to when I say "it's a little bit tinpot to get SO excited about simply playing Man City". To see ourselves as so weak and inferior that we're lucky to even share the same pitch as Manchester City - that's a bit embarrassing IMO. For some clubs that's the reality, but those clubs are generally in League 1 or League 2. Clubs like Brighton and Brentford are evidence that we are NOT one of those clubs.

We should be excited to be able to compete with Manchester City. We shouldn't be excited about simply playing Manchester City.

I think people have misunderstood my original post a little bit:

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the game. It'll be great to see Pep, KDB, Haaland, etc. If we win, it'll likely be one of the best City games I've been to. I'll be at the game and will be as passionate about the idea of a City win as anyone else in the stadium.

However, IMO the best tie for us would have been a home game against an objectively weak side (e.g. Fleetwood/Sheffield Wednesday). It would have given us a great chance of winning the match and earning approx £225,000 in prize money for doing so. At that point, I'd hope for a Quarter Final away to a 'big club' (assuming all the weaker sides than us had been knocked out). That away game would be a nice opportunity to visit a famous stadium, benefit from a huge gate receipt, and likely be on TV. We'd probably lose the match, but we'd have earned a fair bit of money for it.

So when I say "It's not objectively THAT good a tie for us*", that's what I mean. By meeting a 'big club' at least one round too early, and by meeting them at home, we could be missing out on a decent amount of money and/or a quarter final.

*(this might be overly negative. Perhaps "not objectively the ideal tie" would be more fair)

Edited by Supersonic Robin
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agreed.

My only concern is that City give equal priority to new members signing up tonight alongside those of us who have been members for years.

Last time priority was tiered for members based on games attended - only fair to do the same again.

This is my fear too. As a member with semi regular attendance for many years  (but seldom enough to justify a season ticket) I think a tiered system is the only fair way to sell this game. New members signing up now should be in a third priority group. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

2 points that have been overlooked.

1. Just what do you do about A Block.

2. How much will they try and fleece people for who want to park by the cricket club?

Well it was £50 for the killers so you have all been warned, they are greedy b8888rds and will be rubbing their hands with glee, me and my two mates that used it regularly when it was a tenner stopped using it when it rose to £15 quid, they don't advertise now how much it is and hope people will be too embarrased to turn around once they are there.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

2 points that have been overlooked.

1. Just what do you do about A Block.

2. How much will they try and fleece people for who want to park by the cricket club?

1. Set the prices the same all round the ground. Let anyone swap their seat for any non-reserved seat as they buy tickets.  i.e. you can buy your assigned seat or any non-assigned seat. At that point your assigned seat becomes free.

2. Double what you think and three times what they should be charging. #GetTheBusIfYouCan

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

No one gave us a snowball’s chance in hell against the mighty Leeds Utd. 
No one gave us a cat in hell’s chance away to Liverpool.

No one seriously thought that we would beat Mourinho’s United, with superstars like Zlatan, World Cup winner Pogba and a host of top internationals .

This is the cup man. A packed Ashton Gate and highly motivated players can beat anyone. We may need a little luck but it is not impossible that we win. 

Well said!

Bring it on!

45 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Last time out it was 2-3. Certainly NOT a 6-0 thrashing. Play like we did on Saturday and I think we've got a great chance. 

Unfortunately it is unlikely that Man City will play like West Brom did on Saturday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Me too mate - I’ll be in Benalmádena on the Costa Del Sol. 
Gutted. 
It will have to be a local sports bar with sangria and Mahou for €2 a pint instead…. ?

Always head to the Swan up at Bonanza square when I'm there to watch games it's a great place for a night out more bars and restaurants than you coud ever want most of them show football as well, I can think of worse places to be :laugh:.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I fully suspect that Alex Scott is on a Man City watch list in some way. 

I think after this game, it's going to be impossible to keep hold of him beyond the summer if he impresses which I'm sure he will. 

Even after this game has sparked the rest of our season and we end up with a Playoff winners/FA Cup double?

• Like 1