IGNORED

Massengo - Loan to Auxerre (Confirmed)

Davefevs

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

This is true,maybe the mods can do a sub section where people can talk about our ex players because if Alex Scott does well in the prem it will be non stop on the main forum 

Yep, I’d go for a ‘former player’ section. To be fair, at least the discussion about former players generally relates to players who actually played for us. Unlike the section for future players which mostly discusses players who never get within 100km of Ashton Gate! 

7 minutes ago, Malago said:

Quite possibly, but it’s still superior to the Scottish Premiership.

Can’t comment on the Argentinian league as I don’t follow it.

Regarding the SPL, although the quality is improving, the standard is very low. 

There are a number of reasons for this, not least the size of the country and the lack of finances in the game up there.

One interesting statistic that I saw last week and I am not saying this is correct, is that attendances through the 4 leagues in Scotland are , per capita, one of the highest in Europe, which I did find surprising.

• Like 1

I'd say Ligue 1 is the fourth or fifth best in Europe. Probably the latter.

They produce a lot of talent clearly, how well it is held onto is another issue. Monaco were fantastic in 2016-17..then half the squad went, maybe more! Had such potential for growth etc too with the age range. Could be one of the best, consistently I mean had they kept big hitters.

Lille won the title 2 seasons ago...then lots of the squad left and the manager also quit that summer- had they kept it together maybe they'd have done alright in the CL in 2021-22 as well. Reached Round 2 as it is!

Lyon reached the CL semis 3 years ago, seem to have had a decent record v Man City too.

Ligue 1 is reasonable, probably has some untapped potential like Serie A but for different reasons.

I digress, Massengo should have a reasonable career IMO, France or Europe probably- a 4-3-3...ironically the current setup we have would probably suit him moreso than any we've had before, a more orthodox and consistent 4-3-3.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd say Ligue 1 is the fourth or fifth best in Europe. Probably the latter.

They produce a lot of talent clearly, how well it is held onto is another issue. Monaco were fantastic in 2016-17..then half the squad went, maybe more! Had such potential for growth etc too with the age range. Could be one of the best, consistently I mean had they kept big hitters.

Lille won the title 2 seasons ago...then lots of the squad left and the manager also quit that summer- had they kept it together maybe they'd have done alright in the CL in 2021-22 as well.

Lyon reached the CL semis 3 years ago, seem to have had a decent record v Man City too.

Ligue 1 is reasonable, probably has some untapped potential like Serie A but for different reasons.

I digress, Massengo should have a reasonable career IMO, France or Europe probably- a 4-3-3...ironically the current setup we have would probably suit him moreso than any we've had before, a more orthodox and consistent 4-3-3.

Yeah there might be an alternative universe where he scored that first goal, kicked on and signed a new deal. In our world its just a case of seeing how he gets on elsewhere to see how much potential he actually has (for anyone that is bothered, like me).

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah there might be an alternative universe where he scored that first goal, kicked on and signed a new deal. In our world its just a case of seeing how he gets on elsewhere to see how much potential he actually has (for anyone that is bothered, like me).

Energy and continuity midfield perhaps more thab goals and end product tbh. Definitely best suited to a true 3...not bad technically, has energy good pros- lack of end product and variable positional discipline a downside.

Plenty of time to develop still though.

1 minute ago, WECANDO said:

For anyone interested Massengo is playing tonight for Auxerre away to Nice. Ko 8pm. Showing on BT Sport 3. Aaron Ramsey and Joe Bryan not playing for Nice as injured. Hamstring and Calf respectively 

image.png.c1704d25f186269ae1a2286854865dc3.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Auxerre’s player of the month for February, which isn’t bad going as he hadn’t played any first team football for over 3 months.
He’ll be getting plenty of boos as Nice detest anything associated with Monaco.

He’ll also be playing against his very good friend and former teammate Képhren Thuram, son of former French international Lilian.

Only seen bits and pieces of his games in France but he seems to have settled in well. I feel for him, in hindsight he joined at the wrong time with the club experiencing a lot of change during his time here. I'd argue that if we signed the teenage version of him this summer he'd go on to have a much more successful city career than having him experience the downfall of LJ, the chaos of Holden and then Pearson's initial rebuild.

I think he'll do well in France if that's where he ends up in the summer. 100 odd games in the championship at that age should mean he has physicality to go with his great technique.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Massengo got their Fans POTM award this week.

He must've scored then, otherwise they'd have written him off.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Only seen bits and pieces of his games in France but he seems to have settled in well. I feel for him, in hindsight he joined at the wrong time with the club experiencing a lot of change during his time here. I'd argue that if we signed the teenage version of him this summer he'd go on to have a much more successful city career than having him experience the downfall of LJ, the chaos of Holden and then Pearson's initial rebuild.

I think he'll do well in France if that's where he ends up in the summer. 100 odd games in the championship at that age should mean he has physicality to go with his great technique.

He must've scored then, otherwise they'd have written him off.

A victim of LJ's "clubs in the bag" approach.

Unfortunately, Massengo was a 52 degree wedge, when we also had 50, 51, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 60 degree wedges in the bag as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Move has worked out well for him & for us.

They have given themselves a fighting chance of avoiding relegation when they looked dead & buried when he arrived.

He’s put himself in the shop window for a contract either with Auxerre or another Ligue 1 club & we have guaranteed some compensation when he moves on.

Probably too much to hope that someone in France wants him so much that they offer us an upfront fee to secure him but this loan could have gone a lot worse for all parties.

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

A club from France could sign him on a pre contract now 

Yes they could & we would get compensation because of his age.

I was saying it is not impossible that his impact might see more of a bidding war than previously expected & to secure the deal they could negotiate with us to avoid a tribunal.

Unlikely scenario, I admit.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes they could & we would get compensation because of his age.

I was saying it is not impossible that his impact might see more of a bidding war than previously expected & to secure the deal they could negotiate with us to avoid a tribunal.

Unlikely scenario, I admit.

The best result (albeit v.unlikely) is an English club likes what they see and try to sign him.

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m just guessing but I don’t think he’ll stay at Auxerre, I think more likely a bigger L1 club with a bit more money. Someone like Nice, Lille, Lyon, Lens.

There was a rumour Reims or Rennes (team beginning with R ?) were interested in January.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was a rumour Reims or Rennes (team beginning with R ?) were interested in January.

My 3 L’s beat your 2 R’s.

He’s had so much media airtime in France since his move I think there’ll be choices to be made.
My decision would be based on weather and lifestyle, so Nice. Probably just as well I’m not a football agent. 

• Haha 2