IGNORED

Anis Mehmeti - Signed 3.5 Year Deal (Confirmed)

Gol

10 hours ago, Red Skin said:

O'Dowda looked amazing in his showreel too!!  The difference here is that NP will trust him play his own game and have players around him that'll help him shine. 

I still think we coached all the O'Dowda out of O'Dowda.  Shame.  

Part of the problem with COD was his injury problems and the extremely rubbish medical department we had back then.

• Like 1

I haven't read through the whole thread but I think @exAtyeoMax it was who asked why he ended up in non-league. 

Listening to his interview and him saying he went without a club for a year after Norwich released him, I wonder if he lost his love for the game. 

I know one of our squad who told me that this nearly happened to them after experiencing the drudgery of U21 football, and it was only a chance to go to non-league and play competitively again that rescued them.

alternatively, he could have gone off the rails, and needed setting straight again? The way he talks, so seriously, about winning, and imposing his own mental approach, sounds like a player who has had a few heart to hearts with someone and with himself.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I haven't read through the whole thread but I think @exAtyeoMax it was who asked why he ended up in non-league. 

Listening to his interview and him saying he went without a club for a year after Norwich released him, I wonder if he lost his love for the game. 

I know one of our squad who told me that this nearly happened to them after experiencing the drudgery of U21 football, and it was only a chance to go to non-league and play competitively again that rescued them.

alternatively, he could have gone off the rails, and needed setting straight again? The way he talks, so seriously, about winning, and imposing his own mental approach, sounds like a player who has had a few heart to hearts with someone and with himself.

Coping with setbacks in one's life is how so many people get to the top of the tree. All successes without any downsides cannot prepare one for the ups and downs of life.

Having also listened to Harry Cornick and his tale of how he got into pro football, it appears to me that NP and Tinman are looking at the lifestyle, attitude of coping with setbacks of any player that they are interested in for City.

Will they be a team player or will they be selfish? Will they help teammates or let them sink? The character of a recruits is as important as their control of a ball.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Thanks for your reply. So many things can happen at that time of your life, life takes you all over the place. Hopefully he’s now happy in himself, and thankfully for us, it’s brought him to our club.

• Like 2

One bit from Nige’s interviews yesterday (can’t remember which one) was where he said that once City had gained agreement from Wycombe to speak to Anis, Nige went and met him that afternoon.

This seems to be a bit of a divergence from what he’s previously said, where he’s kinda said he’s not very involved.

Maybe this is the evolvement of recruitment over his time, RG’s time and now with Tinnion?  Maybe “they” feel the manager should take a bit more of an active responsibility / accountability for the players brought in.

I wonder what would happen if Nige met him and didn’t like his character, got the wrong vibe, etc.

It also seems very apparent that City will do things properly, not play out the chase via agents / media…although they can’t control that.  We saw that with Semenyo, with the differing Burnley and Bournemouth approaches.  It’s possible that happened with Currie too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I just wondering if Mehmeti is the Vardy signing. In comparison to what NP did in building the Leicester side

I'm hoping Bell can do that job. He's got the pace and the ability to finish, he now needs to show that he can consistently produce the goods.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

One bit from Nige’s interviews yesterday (can’t remember which one) was where he said that once City had gained agreement from Wycombe to speak to Anis, Nige went and met him that afternoon.

This seems to be a bit of a divergence from what he’s previously said, where he’s kinda said he’s not very involved.

Maybe this is the evolvement of recruitment over his time, RG’s time and now with Tinnion?  Maybe “they” feel the manager should take a bit more of an active responsibility / accountability for the players brought in.

I wonder what would happen if Nige met him and didn’t like his character, got the wrong vibe, etc.

It also seems very apparent that City will do things properly, not play out the chase via agents / media…although they can’t control that.  We saw that with Semenyo, with the differing Burnley and Bournemouth approaches.  It’s possible that happened with Currie too.

I've always taken it with a punch of salt when managers say they aren't involved in bringing players in. 

Of course the scouts, analysts, CEO and agents do their bit prior to signing, but the majority of managers will meet with player and his agent before signing. It's only natural to do this. It's due diligence. You've got to get on with one another, sell your intentions to the player, how they fit in to your plans, sell the playing ethos etc etc etc. 

The player also has to sell himself to the manager. Agents can made a turd sound shiny. 

Imagine the furore if a player was hopeless, fell out with the manager pretty much straight away, and it became apparent they'd never met before signing? Or in some cases the CEO or owner has told a manager he has to have a player, even if he doesn't want him.... It happens as we know. It just makes all involved look like mugs. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Part of the problem with COD was his injury problems and the extremely rubbish medical department we had back then.

The main problem with him was he’s not good enough for the championship . How he got a second contract with us I’ll never know . Then actually said in the interview , the club meets my ambitions . Laughable 

4 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Mehmeti I feel will become a club legend - or disappear making barely a ripple & not anything between the two..

Measured by the money that was literally burned during the Swiss tony years, this is low/calculated risk..and certainly not scattergun.

Looking forwards to see what he can do,, hopefully the former!

Yes, agree. The hope, I think, lies in the fact that he’s clearly been brought in with a role in mind, and as a player who can contribute to our style of play. 

Unlike, as you say. Ashtons approach which seemed to be more about anyone from the lower leagues where there was an off chance of a profit to be made. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

That happened with Gary Johnson and Jermaine Easter years ago. GJ didn't like his attitude and the vibes from him, so pulled out of the deal.

45 minutes ago, spudski said:

I've always taken it with a punch of salt when managers say they aren't involved in bringing players in. 

Of course the scouts, analysts, CEO and agents do their bit prior to signing, but the majority of managers will meet with player and his agent before signing. It's only natural to do this. It's due diligence. You've got to get on with one another, sell your intentions to the player, how they fit in to your plans, sell the playing ethos etc etc etc. 

The player also has to sell himself to the manager. Agents can made a turd sound shiny. 

Imagine the furore if a player was hopeless, fell out with the manager pretty much straight away, and it became apparent they'd never met before signing? Or in some cases the CEO or owner has told a manager he has to have a player, even if he doesn't want him.... It happens as we know. It just makes all involved look like mugs. 

I think at Leicester he was so “in-tune” with Walsh and Mackenzie (and they with him) he didn’t need to be so involved.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think at Leicester he was so “in-tune” with Walsh and Mackenzie (and they with him) he didn’t need to be so involved.

Maybe...who knows. Relying on people you trust is a good thing, but when the buck stops with you and not them, you still have to do your due diligence. Otherwise it's you who gets the backlash if it goes wrong, not them. ?

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned already but Ainsworth has confirmed they have a financial interest in his success here. Guessing that will be percentage of profit when we sell but who knows 

Yep, imagine release clause was more than just “if a club offers a fee”, but included add-ons too.  Very sensible, and should be the sort of thing more widely used to get players to sign new deals to give north club and player a bit of both-ways loyalty.

To add…

…I get the impression with Brownhill it was purely a “release” fee, hence why we wanted to do a deal early so that we could get some add ons too.

Edited by Davefevs

2 hours ago, mozo said:

I'm hoping Bell can do that job. He's got the pace and the ability to finish, he now needs to show that he can consistently produce the goods.

Bell is and will top striker not see him vardy role though. Depends if NP plays Mehmeti forward midfielder or in front three. Maybe a more Mahrez type role ?

Just my thoughts 

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Add ons surely always in contracts these days 

Yes absolutely I just think sometimes when a release fee is met it’s not necessarily so.  Although we still don’t know if a release fee was met as a fact unless I’ve missed something. Not been across everything this week

Edited by And Its Smith

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Add ons surely always in contracts these days 

I think most clubs would try to insert them in the transfer deal of a player on the up.  But not necessarily in the players contract…most player contracts won’t have a release fee clause, let alone a multi-faceted set of clauses.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think most clubs would try to insert them in the transfer deal of a player on the up.  But not necessarily in the players contract…most player contracts won’t have a release fee clause, let alone a multi-faceted set of clauses.

Omg Dave that's getting too complex. I try to keep things simple.

27 minutes ago, Rocky said:

BBC EFL72

This Podcast talks about him from the Wycombe side, Ainsworth calls in and chats. Not ground breaking news but starts 12-13mins in. 

Listening to Gareth Ainsworth on that podcast gives me a lot more confidence that we have signed a gem in Mehmeti, much more so than watching a youtube vid of his best moments. Got a lot of time and respect for Ainsworth.

He really bigged him up and said his talent and potential was never in doubt and it was just a case of getting the other more mundane aspects of football drilled into him, team shape, tracking, etc. Reckons he's at about 70% of his potential, so get the other 30% out of him and we'll have a player who can go very far in the game.

The club could have pulled off the best bit of business since we signed Webster.

Looking forward to seeing him play for us soon.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Listening to Gareth Ainsworth on that podcast gives me a lot more confidence that we have signed a gem in Mehmeti, much more so than watching a youtube vid of his best moments. Got a lot of time and respect for Ainsworth.

He really bigged him up and said his talent and potential was never in doubt and it was just a case of getting the other more mundane aspects of football drilled into him, team shape, tracking, etc. Reckons he's at about 70% of his potential, so get the other 30% out of him and we'll have a player who can go very far in the game.

The club could have pulled off the best bit of business since we signed Webster.

Looking forward to seeing him play for us soon.

He describes Mehmeti as a Premier League player which bodes well.

• Like 1