IGNORED

Man City Forum

sglosbcfc

I have a soft spot for Manchester City as I used to get cheap tickets as a student (5 quid for a premier league game) and as their neighbours used to win everything.

It's probably dwindled a bit as I haven't been able to get cheap tickets for the last 20 odd years and they are now the dominate force in English football!

The club has obviously changed massively in that time, and obviously there is some dubious questions that can be asked about their owners actions both home and abroad. They have however transformed what was a run down part of the city (again its very questionable who they have actually done this for....) and their fan involvement etc is a great model.

Their fans are a good bunch and do keep their sense of humour about everything, almost like they still expect it to go tits up at any moment. They also remember their history and all want to talk about goater or gow as soon as they find out who I support.

The only thing that's changed with the fans is the expectancy levels at the games - I went to an FA cup tie there once and the fans were complaining about giving the ball away too much... they won 4-0 and had about 80% possession!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

City don't get thousands travelling from all over the country for home games like United do. 

I wonder if perceptions are down to age?  I grew up in the 1970 when all the glory hunters were Liverpool fans. Obviously United had success in the 60s winning the European Cup, but for my parents generation the love of Man United (which was passed on to their children) and their universal popularity across the country were probably more down to two things.  The heartbreak of the Munich air in 1958 which touched the hearts of the whole country and for my parents (being Irish) was the admiration they had for George Best.

Growing up in the 70s United did have a spell in the second division and their crowds were regularly the highest in all divisions.  I'd wager at that the time these were almost exclusively Manchester/Salford based so in terms of support they aren't that different to City's.

Obviously United success in the PL era has brought them more fans across the nation and internationally.  That'll happen for any club achieved sustained success.  It is happening to Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea and all the rear.  That doesn't make their support less real and somehow something to be sneered at.  It has priced out some of the local fans which is the real sadness about the globalisation of football. 

Personally I love the fact we have a small and dedicated set of Swedish fans.  I value their support as much as any Bristolian fan.  All are welcome.  We are all one family.

Anyway.  Thrilled and slightly nervous to be playing Man City.  Whatever the result it's a massive test for our young academy players, so I can't wait to see how they get on. Hopefully Scott v Grealish will be a duel we'll all get to see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

My main memory of the game at the etihad (other than celebrating Bobby's goal for the whole half time interval) was how fascinating their fans were by ours. It was like they'd never seen a team sing for 90 minutes before. 

Such a fun night. 

That half time will live long in the memory. What a night, almost perfect until Aguero popped up

36 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I loved Maine Road. Really unique looking ground.

Imagine having Oasis support you too? Can't get better than that... apart from maybe The Wurzels

This be perfect then! :)

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry if this has said elsewhere but it's quite refreshing to see a national paper describing Man City as "facing a tough trip to Bristol City" rather than any platitudes about the smaller team enjoying our big day.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2023/jan/30/fa-cup-fifth-round-draw-live-updates

When they say "tough trip" they are referring to the three and a half hour coach drive down the M6 and M5! :)

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

That half time will live long in the memory. What a night, almost perfect until Aguero popped up

As we were driving to the cup game on Saturday I was telling my step son about that half time and just how amazing it was to be 1 nil up at the home of the premier league champions. 

All weekend I just had a feeling we were going to get them again. 

Hopefully in years to come my step son will be able to tell his children about a memorable night at Ashton Gate against the double Premier league champions. 

• Robin 1

47 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sorry if this has said elsewhere but it's quite refreshing to see a national paper describing Man City as "facing a tough trip to Bristol City" rather than any platitudes about the smaller team enjoying our big day.  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2023/jan/30/fa-cup-fifth-round-draw-live-updates

They might even do an actual full match report on our game for once.

12 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

FA Cup 5th Round Draw | Bristol City (A) | Page 47 | Bluemoon - the leading Manchester City forum (bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk)

Their supporters seem genuinely excited by the tie. A few comments of 'Bristol City will play a weakened team...it is the only one they have' but mostly saying what an amazing City Bristol is and how we are such a big City not to have been top flight for so long. They are moaning the fact that it is not a weekend game, but still pleased they'll get 4000 tickets and reckon it will be a banging night. Some old timers talking about coaches bricked in and big punch ups in years gone by.

"Manchester City will play a massively strengthened chequebook, which is the only reason its supporters think they can now give it the large one...."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, trickytimes said:

May be my bad memory but i did not think we played them in the lower leagues. Did not play them because they were relegated when we were promoted, and vice versa the following year. 

In the mid 60s Bristol City played Man City in Division 2. It depends if this is regarded as a lower league, which it probably is in Manchester. Whilst at school I made my only visit to Maine Road to see a 2-2 draw with Atyeo scoring one. I’ve just looked this up and the crowd was 19k. In the reverse fixture at Ashton Gate City had a bigger crowd. Things have changed somewhat in the intervening years 

Like others; I have always had a bit of a soft spot for Man C.

Despite living in the shadow of Man U (a club I loathe), their fanbase has remained loyal despite some very difficult times. Been great to see them regularly beating their rivals over the last 10 years or so.

Should be a good game at AG, hoping we do ourselves proud, despite the chances of defeat being very high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cityexile said:

However I cannot bring myself to blow smoke up their clubs backside. Their ownership model epitomises a lot that is wrong with club football right now in England, effectively state owned with access to seemingly endless riches. Of course there are other clubs to in that arena and Man City do it well, The days however when a team could be promoted from this league, win the top league the following season, and then the year after that win the top European trophy are long gone.

Yes ironic given that's precisely what Man City did when promoted from the Second Div in 66, winning the First in 68, FA Cup in 69 and League Cup and Cup Winners Cup in 70.

A golden period built on nothing more than good players and good coaching. 

Different times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trickytimes said:

May be my bad memory but i did not think we played them in the lower leagues. Did not play them because they were relegated when we were promoted, and vice versa the following year. 

Fair. I was being too liberal with my comment about ‘lower leagues’ being anything than the top league. 

12 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

FA Cup 5th Round Draw | Bristol City (A) | Page 47 | Bluemoon - the leading Manchester City forum (bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk)

Their supporters seem genuinely excited by the tie. A few comments of 'Bristol City will play a weakened team...it is the only one they have' but mostly saying what an amazing City Bristol is and how we are such a big City not to have been top flight for so long. They are moaning the fact that it is not a weekend game, but still pleased they'll get 4000 tickets and reckon it will be a banging night. Some old timers talking about coaches bricked in and big punch ups in years gone by.

Better not let them old timers come this time. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

...for my parents (being Irish) was the admiration they had for George Best...

Reminds me of the naivety of youth, or at least mine. Living as a child in N Ireland at the time, a big thing was saving up your pennies to buy a little pack that contained something like three player cards, and a little (very hard) stick of chewing gum. George Best was THE player to get. Was like you had won the lottery and you would proudly show it to everyone you were friends with.

I still remember the laughter of my mother when I went home one day and said I had swopped three cards for what I was told was ‘George Best’s brother’, and proudly showed her the card for...Clyde Best of West Ham.

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

I have a soft spot for the Manchester City.

Studying up in Manchester and living in and around Maine Road you couldn't help but feel some sort of alliance with them. In general a great bunch of lads the Mancunians.

Unlike the other Manchester club. ?. London arse wipes.

I also studied in Manchester and always found it the other way round!

1 hour ago, RedHienz said:

Just waiting for some tent dweller to make a post on their forum.

They appear to be in a panic that some player I've never heard of, has posted something on a social media platform i don't use, might be going somewhere else to earn a living.

I'm sure that if that does happen, they'll spend the next 4 or 5 years hoping that the player will come back in some capacity as their fans scouting seems to be 'what former players can we possibly get back' rather than 'wonder what the next gem can be found' - I think that explains that signing of that pensioner Sinclair. #That.