IGNORED

Man City Forum

sglosbcfc

FA Cup 5th Round Draw | Bristol City (A) | Page 47 | Bluemoon - the leading Manchester City forum (bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk)

Their supporters seem genuinely excited by the tie. A few comments of 'Bristol City will play a weakened team...it is the only one they have' but mostly saying what an amazing City Bristol is and how we are such a big City not to have been top flight for so long. They are moaning the fact that it is not a weekend game, but still pleased they'll get 4000 tickets and reckon it will be a banging night. Some old timers talking about coaches bricked in and big punch ups in years gone by.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Quite a nice read. Their fans always seem to have a quite humorous approach to football.

I always think of that old accusation fans started to sing at them after all the money came in..

"Where were you when you were shit?"

Oh, yeah, they actually were there, even in the 3rd tier and through all the Utd years.

It looks like another memorable night at AG is coming.

Pep likes us, remember...  well, he liked Johnson's version, let's hope Nigel's version gives them as good a game.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 6

We really impressed them with some of the football we played against them in the League Cup semi final. I remember them saying we looked better than a few of the bottom half Premier League teams they’d played. We aren’t as good as we were then but I hope we can still give a good account of ourselves. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Quite a nice read. Their fans always seem to have a quite humorous approach to football.

I always think of that old accusation fans started to sing at them after all the money came in..

"Where were you when you were shit?"

Oh, yeah, they actually were there, even in the 3rd tier and through all the Utd years.

It looks like another memorable night at AG is coming.

Pep likes us, remember...  well, he liked Johnson's version, let's hope Nigel's version gives them as good a game.

They only average about 2k empty seats per game. This is after expansion of one of the stands and now they are planning on expanding the other end too.

Man City are generally supported by the working class people of Manchester (hence the Cityzens nickname) They are technically of course the only club in the City of Manchester (Utd fans lose their rag over this) 

City don't get thousands travelling from all over the country for home games like United do. 

They've always been very well supported even when living in Uniteds shadow.

In the 80s and 90s Liverpool were only getting 30 odd k. Newcastle were getting far less than Man City during that period. 

City go deep into 4 competitions every year. That's a lot a games for the average working class fan to pay for. I doubt many can afford to do the away European nights! 

You can get season tickets for around 4/500 quid but then there is 3 separate cup schemes you have to enrol on to get priority for cup games.

Imo their support is quite impressive and it will only grow over the years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Do they still have the fan (female I think) with the bell to ring during the game?That’s my recollection from the 70s Division 1 days and I have never been sure if it was just for Colin Bell or a more general thing. Certainly it was unique to them. And yes they always supported in numbers even when their team was crap and down in the third tier. It’s not like we don’t know that feeling!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Do they still have the fan (female I think) with the bell to ring during the game?That’s my recollection from the 70s Division 1 days and I have never been sure if it was just for Colin Bell or a more general thing. Certainly it was unique to them. And yes they always supported in numbers even when their team was crap and down in the third tier. It’s not like we don’t know that feeling!

Pompey had a bell ringer?

2 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Do they still have the fan (female I think) with the bell to ring during the game?That’s my recollection from the 70s Division 1 days and I have never been sure if it was just for Colin Bell or a more general thing. 

It's because the fan's name is Anita Ward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

Never had a problem with Man City fans, and certainly remember them bringing good numbers when they used to visit us in the lower leagues. Many of their fans will have been on quite a journey.

However I can not bring myself to blow smoke up their clubs backside. Their ownership model epitomises a lot that is wrong with club football right now in England, effectively state owned with access to seemingly endless riches. Of course there are other clubs to in that arena and Man City do it well, The days however when a team could be promoted from this league, win the top league the following season, and then the year after that win the top European trophy are long gone.

Sour grapes and some jealousy? Sure, guilty as charged no doubt. However, football is really now held in a stranglehold across Europe by a few top clubs, of which a very high proportion are English. 

Man City the club are one the prime movers in that change. I hope it all comes crashing down. Their fans? Not their fault and wish them well. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Never had a problem with Man City fans, and certainly remember them bringing good numbers when they used to visit us in the lower leagues. Many of their fans will have been on quite a journey.

However I can not bring myself to blow smoke up their clubs backside. Their ownership model epitomises a lot that is wrong with club football right now in England, effectively state owned with access to seemingly endless riches. Of course there are other clubs to in that arena and Man City do it well, The days however when a team could be promoted from this league, win the top league the following season, and then the year after that win the top European trophy are long gone.

Sour grapes and some jealousy? Sure, guilty as charged no doubt. However, football is really now held in a stranglehold across Europe by a few top clubs, of which a very high proportion are English. 

Man City the club are one the prime movers in that change. I hope it all comes crashing down. Their fans? Not their fault and wish them well. 

One thing I will say in their favour though is that having done some work up there over the last 15 years, even some United fans I have chatted to have said just how much money and work they have put into the local community, even built/rebuilt community centres and sports and leisure facilities. I don't think all those monied investors in the past were quite so philanthropic.

• Like 3

Their fans have always stuck with the side since their fall to the third tier in the 90s. The only reason the other 'big 6' fans mock their fanbase is because they have nothing else to currently mock them with as Man City have been the dominant force of English football over the past 10 years. 

Have always had a soft spot for them. Imagine Man Utd being your main rival and them winning multiple trophies year after year whilst your club was just struggling to stay afloat in the 2nd tier ? 

It doesn't surprise me that their fans are so humble. For some reason Man City also haven't had the same glory hunting boom that Chelsea got post 2003.

• Like 3

I was very briefly a Man City “fan”. I’m originally from Glasgow and moved down to Bristol when I was ten.

Back then parents who were less fanatical about football - including my mum - would buy their kids any kit other than Rangers/Celtic to avoid the possibility of trouble. That year, even though me and my brother were Partick Thistlle fans - she got me a red and black check Man City away kit (I have no idea why, but great kit to be fair).

A few days after moving to Bristol, I was wearing the kit in the beer garden of The Farmhouse in Nailsea. Out of nowhere, Eddie Large came up and started talking to me about Man City and how good my kit was. As a ten year old I was genuinely star struck.

Not long after, I got taken to watch Bristol City vs Aldershot and that was the end of that.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 4

8 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

We really impressed them with some of the football we played against them in the League Cup semi final. I remember them saying we looked better than a few of the bottom half Premier League teams they’d played. We aren’t as good as we were then but I hope we can still give a good account of ourselves. 

At least we will not go out there to just clog and constantly foul. We'll try to play football on the pitch and not in the sky.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cityexile said:

May be my bad memory but i did not think we played them in the lower leagues. Did not play them because they were relegated when we were promoted, and vice versa the following year. 

• Like 5