IGNORED

Man City Forum

sglosbcfc

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes ironic given that's precisely what Man City did when promoted from the Second Div in 66, winning the First in 68, FA Cup in 69 and League Cup and Cup Winners Cup in 70.

A golden period built on nothing more than good players and good coaching. 

Different times.

I dunno. We've got a central defender from Bath who played for Plymouth during his professional development, and, er, well that's one similarity. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes ironic given that's precisely what Man City did when promoted from the Second Div in 66, winning the First in 68, FA Cup in 69 and League Cup and Cup Winners Cup in 70.

A golden period built on nothing more than good players and good coaching. 

Different times.

Assisted by a young ? player from Bath.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

I have a soft spot for the Manchester City.

Studying up in Manchester and living in and around Maine Road you couldn't help but feel some sort of alliance with them. In general a great bunch of lads the Mancunians.

Unlike the other Manchester club. ?. London arse wipes.

Holiday mates from 30 year ago when they were league 1 your right top lads if man city not playing they come to our games preston on saturday .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarcusX said:

That half time will live long in the memory. What a night, almost perfect until Aguero popped up

Stayed up there that night good ol drink with them after my mate said im having big money on you to get jn prem next year . :laugh: well we all know what happened after johnson went backwards and sideways .

• Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 23:12, Slacker said:

I thought it would be full of comments about how disappointed they were that they aren't playing the g*s.

Everyone's second favourite team. It would have been a dilemma for them, do they cheer on their beloved Man City or the famous quarters???

23 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I was very briefly a Man City “fan”. I’m originally from Glasgow and moved down to Bristol when I was ten.

Back then parents who were less fanatical about football - including my mum - would buy their kids any kit other than Rangers/Celtic to avoid the possibility of trouble. That year, even though me and my brother were Partick Thistlle fans - she got me a red and black check Man City away kit (I have no idea why, but great kit to be fair).

A few days after moving to Bristol, I was wearing the kit in the beer garden of The Farmhouse in Nailsea. Out of nowhere, Eddie Large came up and started talking to me about Man City and how good my kit was. As a ten year old I was genuinely star struck.

Not long after, I got taken to watch Bristol City vs Aldershot and that was the end of that.

It doesn't get much bigger than Bristol City v Aldershot, no wonder you were hooked! ?

57 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

It doesn't get much bigger than Bristol City v Aldershot, no wonder you were hooked! ?

I was back in Bristol over Christmas and New Years. My mum still had a box of my stuff in the garage that included some of my City programmes from the 80s and 90s. This is where it all began…

EE2E5431-AC25-45B7-A3D8-313B98A23960.jpeg

• Robin 2

2 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I was back in Bristol over Christmas and New Years. My mum still had a box of my stuff in the garage that included some of my City programmes from the 80s and 90s. This is where it all began…

EE2E5431-AC25-45B7-A3D8-313B98A23960.jpeg

I've got that programme. I also remember going to Aldershot three, possibly four times in a season when we drew them in two cup competitions and one tie had 2 replays I think??

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

I've got that programme. I also remember going to Aldershot three, possibly four times in a season when we drew them in two cup competitions and one tie had 2 replays I think??

"You're so shit you must be Aldershot!" was the chant of choice from that era. 

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, weepywall said:

I remember a game at Stockport many years ago when City were fairly notorious for their off field antics and Man City fans made an appearance, they weren't over friendly that day !!

1984, We were drinking in that pedestrianised  area, they were sending young kids to see how many we had, they eventually came charging up, "we're Man City", "so f******g what? " was the general consensus from our lot, not taking a step back?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, weepywall said:

I remember a game at Stockport many years ago when City were fairly notorious for their off field antics and Man City fans made an appearance, they weren't over friendly that day !!

Spot on, The Stockport Skins were tough but small in number.

I worked in Greater Manchester and have relatives who are fanatical CityMancs. I can confirm they occasionally gave the Stockport boys a helping hand when big firms or those with reputations visited.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Spot on, The Stockport Skins were tough but small in number.

I worked in Greater Manchester and have relatives who are fanatical CityMancs. I can confirm they occasionally gave the Stockport boys a helping hand when big firms or those with reputations visited.

Not unheard of, Dundee Utility were a firm made up of Dundee and Dundee Utd fans who teamed up to take on the much bigger visiting firms of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts.

18 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Stayed up there that night good ol drink with them after my mate said im having big money on you to get jn prem next year . :laugh: well we all know what happened after johnson went backwards and sideways .

Yea same, I'd met a few on a stag do a few months prior as my mate had lived in Manchester so I had drinks with them before/after. Thought we were as good as many of lower Prem teams and thought we'd be on our way up

That Sunderland game still gives me nightmares. I've no idea how that happened to this day. Pack own goal or something for the equaliser as well wasn't it? Completely de-railled our season (along with the Wolves defeat and the energy expended in the cup games)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yea same, I'd met a few on a stag do a few months prior as my mate had lived in Manchester so I had drinks with them before/after. Thought we were as good as many of lower Prem teams and thought we'd be on our way up

That Sunderland game still gives me nightmares. I've no idea how that happened to this day. Pack own goal or something for the equaliser as well wasn't it? Completely de-railled our season (along with the Wolves defeat and the energy expended in the cup games)

Yes went to northern qtrs where did it all go wrong one of them his mate was involved with Bury so allways got us freebies when we played them had some great times travelled to monchengladbach with them probably the only time il go to a European game .

42 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

We scored two own goals in that one.

Each game in which we dropped points relatively needlessly put more pressure on the next game to attack it whereas had we got the results we should we could have in tough games been a bit more content with a draw away from home e.g.

Wolves at home- should have got 1 to 3 points. 1 to 3 dropped.

That feeds into later whereby Norwich at home we had a lot of possession and some chances but lost 1-0. Had we got the 1-3 v Wolves we should have for a bit less pressure won this game.

Bolt on away on a Friday night, can be tricky- had we likewise got the poinrs we should have in the two prior how games- 4-6 IMO, a bit less pressure on tbis and maybe we can even counter them a bit.

Sunderland in particular, two dropped-- bit more margin for error to maybe tough out a point at Cardiff and Preston as these were counter pressing sides even at home.

Should have made playoffs anyway that season I think from where we were an hour in v Wolves.

On 31/01/2023 at 12:32, Mr Popodopolous said:

1999 rings a bell? We won 1-0 if it's the same game I'm thinking of.

Pretty sure Jamie peacock played in midfield for them that day , can remember thinking he was going to be a really top player, he still had a decent career but not as good as I thought he would.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

I remember it going wrong when our GK was just stood there watching the fireworks. 

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I remember it going wrong when our GK was just stood there watching the fireworks. 

2016-17 v Brighton?

Yes we started game sharply from memory. Crowd were up for it, under the lights- Tomlin missed a great chance at 0-0. We score when on top and with the crowd 3veb more up for it after going ahead who knows!