Ayman Benarous

FWD

Nahki Wells

Tommy Conway

Andi Weimann

Sam Bell

Harry Cornick

Anis Mehmeti

We’re a little weak at centre half, very week in fact.

Edited by James54De
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, James54De said:

Squad looks like this:

GK

Max O’Leary

Niki Haikin

RB

George Tanner

Kane Wilson

CB

Zak Vyner

Rob Atkinson

Tomas Kalas

Kal Naismith

LB

Cam Pring 

Jay Dasilva

MID

Matty James

Alex Scott 

Joe Williams 

Andy King

Mark Sykes

(Kal Naismith)

Ayman Benarous

FWD

Nahki Wells

Tommy Conway

Andi Weimann

Sam Bell

Harry Cornick

Anis Mehmeti

We’re a little weak at centre half, very week in fact.

Think fitness permitting we have 4 decent CBs. Assuming we won't be going to a back 3 again, could probably have done with 1 more though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Pretty obvious Semenyo is a huge loss but overall I think we are marginally stronger.

Arguable that we have lost our best goalkeeper but Max has been in good form & the Russian guy is at least an experienced alternative.

If we persevere with a back four we look well served at full back with Dasilva staying & Wilson back to fitness.

Provided Kalas stays fit having him & Naismith as back up centre backs looks good to me, Williams would presumably step in if he was needed back there.

King is ok as cover behind Williams & with so many wide options Sykes could play there too.

Up front in addition to the 2 who have arrived today we have Wells, Weimann, Bell & Sykes, with Conway back at some point.

Advantage of Cornick is this is his level, he should be up to speed straight away, whilst Mehmeti might need a few games to settle in, but looks exciting.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Not sure what the rules on loan recalls are, but might we see Joe Low or Idehen back before long?

Low can’t be recalled, Idehen is already back with us.

I wouldn’t hold your breath expecting him to feature though.

• Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

In a great position to look forward to an exciting end to the season thanks to excellent transfer activity. Sorted!

I think so! Even your mate is getting a little upbeat. 

City still have a little way to go to throw off the LJ/Ashton regime completely, however we are taking shape. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Mehmeti made 29 Championship appearances for Wycombe  2 seasons ago scoring 3 goals 17 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty obvious Semenyo is a huge loss but overall I think we are marginally stronger.

Arguable that we have lost our best goalkeeper but Max has been in good form & the Russian guy is at least an experienced alternative.

If we persevere with a back four we look well served at full back with Dasilva staying & Wilson back to fitness.

Provided Kalas stays fit having him & Naismith as back up centre backs looks good to me, Williams would presumably step in if he was needed back there.

King is ok as cover behind Williams & with so many wide options Sykes could play there too.

Up front in addition to the 2 who have arrived today we have Wells, Weimann, Bell & Sykes, with Conway back at some point.

Advantage of Cornick is this is his level, he should be up to speed straight away, whilst Mehmeti might need a few games to settle in, but looks exciting.

Mehmeti made 29 Championship appearances for Wycombe 2 seasons ago scoring 3 goals 

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=134964&season_id=153

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying?

• Thanks 1

We’ve had a very good window.

The Semenyo transfer has brought in a decent fee. Multiple outgoings will reduce our wage bill significantly.

Whilst selling sensibly, we’ve kept hold of Alex Scott, this is huge considering the interest rumoured.

Some shrewd business bringing players in.

We look light at centre back but its a position where we can utilise short term free agents if we need to, although hopefully it won’t be necessary.

• Like 3

People are saying CB is a worry but realistically Klose was never going to play, Kalas has been out all season and we've coped fine. Arguably we're only going to be playing 2 CB's too so at the very worst case scenario that 3 of our CB's are unavailable/ injured we still have Tanner and Pring who can swap around. I'm not too concerned at all, Vyner is so much better in a back 2 as his main issue was being a right sided CB as his positioning naturally gravitated to the middle, now he's in a pairing he's a lot more composed and comfortable as well as he's rarely injured. I think the majority of the season will see Vyner and Atkinson playing as the back 2 unless Kalas gets a game and hits the ground running. 

We also have to consider Sykes can play as a right back if needed and now we have Cornick and Mehmeti I can see Sykes covering if need be there too.

A lot of people are concerned but I actually think prior to January we're actually in a lot better place now and we'll undoubtedly be in a solid position come the summer if this squad perform as we'll probably see a few more come in.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I think so! Even your mate is getting a little upbeat. 

City still have a little way to go to throw off the LJ/Ashton regime completely, however we are taking shape. 

I dunno. There’s only 2 remaining players (academy aside) left in the squad from the LJ/Ashton period, and both will be gone in 18 games time (Kalas, Dasilva). 

Those 2 aside, plus Williams (signed by Holden), this is Pearson’s squad now. 

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I dunno. There’s only 2 remaining players (academy aside) left in the squad from the LJ/Ashton period, and both will be gone in 18 games time (Kalas, Dasilva). 

Why Kalas and DaSilva can't stay on majorly reduced terms, wouldn't be against it although Kalas and his availability would need to improve drastically.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is….but it’s a compromised squad, a squad “developed” out of necessity in the main.  It is not his chosen squad.  That starts to happen in the summer.  So let’s recognise that before we get too carried away!

Yeah, the summer window will signify the start of the new regime proper. With a large income from any Scott fee, coupled with what should now be fairly heathy finances for this season (unless I’m mistaken), Pearson will have some freedom. I anticipate will we need to sign 7/8 players next window, unless any academy players are ready to step up. 

5 hours ago, James54De said:

Yeah, the summer window will signify the start of the new regime proper. With a large income from any Scott fee, coupled with what should now be fairly heathy finances for this season (unless I’m mistaken), Pearson will have some freedom. I anticipate will we need to sign 7/8 players next window, unless any academy players are ready to step up. 

On "healthy" finances this season. I suspect that even with the Semenyo income and further wage savings (mainly Bentley and Wells) we're still going to be looking at approximately a £15m loss. Now that's very good coming down from a £28m loss last season, but it's not exactly healthy.

There may therefore be some temptation to sell Scott before the financial year end on 31 May in order to push us into profit this season (assuming he goes for more than £15m).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Let’s get that stick ready to beat him with. 

The guy up until yesterday has worked pretty much on a shoestring. After the Aug 2023 window I’d agree. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1