IGNORED

Where does this leave us?

James54De

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who are you looking at primarily?

I'm thinking we will give O'Leary and Vyner new first team contracts. Probably 3 years. Those will be wage increases.

Kalas and Dasilva probably both offered reduced terms, up to them to accept. 

Haikin has to earn his new contract.

Is there anyone else we need to really look at or here from? 

I don’t think max will be here next season . I know Niki coming in has put him in the shop window to try & get a contract for next season somewhere . I don’t know why but I just think nige wants a more commanding keeper , both in the air & with his feet 

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

And Kalas is back, been on the bench the last 2 games. 

Other than that…

Exactly . I’m glad we wouldn’t bow to palace wanting a bigger loan fee (allegedly ) or what ever terms Wimbledon wanted . We obviously have a valuation & if we can’t them then so be it . 

On 01/02/2023 at 08:13, James54De said:

Really? Surely we were not on course for a 22 million pound loss this season?

Maybe was a bit less but not vastly so- £20m perhaps prior to January of course.

On 01/02/2023 at 08:48, Northern Red said:

They obviously didn't think it was essential. We're no longer going to be signing people just for the sake of it and, as mentioned above, the Palace lad was obviously going to be a long term thing whereas anyone coming in on loan from the PL would be expecting to be first choice straight away, with costs to reflect that.

Unless you're Reading of course who seem to have some sort of tieup Chelsea but in general yes it certainly seems to cost and or comes with game time demands. That said presumably even if not the financial aspect, Reading would have the game time demands.

Marina Grankovskaia - Kia Joobrachian - Dai Yongge.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

16 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I don’t think max will be here next season . I know Niki coming in has put him in the shop window to try & get a contract for next season somewhere . I don’t know why but I just think nige wants a more commanding keeper , both in the air & with his feet 

I see this slightly differently.

I’d be surprised if both O’Leary and Haikin are here, because that would mean we won’t be bringing in anyone else.

One of them probably will be therefore, but until we have had the opportunity to take a proper look at Haikin I’m not convinced which one that will be.

I have said this for years Max is perfect for us as one of 2 senior keepers, good age, decent experience now, not on stupid money but this might be his big moment, if not then it could pan out as you suggest.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:39, ExiledAjax said:

I think we're going to be in the high teens, even with Semenyo's £10m. The basic balance sheet for BCFC Holdings Ltd (the company that reports for FFP purposes) shows our £28.2m loss for last season, and the £38m loss the season before. Wages are listed as "Staff costs" and came down from £35.3m in 2020/21 to £30.3m in 2021/22 (a 14% reduction). Amortisation dropped by about £3.5m (down 23%). Player trading was £6m profit in 2020/21 and £1.2m profit in 2021/22. 

Very rough fag-packet pub sketch of this seasons balance sheet, with assumptions, is as follows. Let's assume the same % reduction for wages and amortisation. That takes the wage bill down to £26m, saving £4.3m. Amortisation comes down to £9m, saving £2.7m (@Davefevs will have a more accurate amortisation forecast). So we can generously give ourselves a further £7m savings. Semenyo's £10m plus the £1-2m spent on Mehmeti and Cornick, means maybe a £8m profit. So our net gain over last season is something like £15m.

Add that to last year's losses and you're looking at a £13m loss for 2022/23.

So yeh, before Semenyo's sale we were probably on course for a low £20m's loss this season.

We might see some extra income somewhere (for example we have about £300k coming from FIFA for Semenyo and Diedhou's time in Qatar), and maybe some other savings here and there, and it's a pretty rough formula just using the same % reductions as last season. But conversely any further free agent signings or payouts for add-ons to Cornick or Mehmeti will change that.

World Cup Fan Village such as it was being deferred this season- usually in the summer- will help. The small Cup runs albeit dunno prize money for the League Cup will help, any half season ticket or membership take up will help- but Cup runs you can't budget for, nice bonus all the same.

We may have got there in slightly different ways but I post Semenyo roughly agree with the £13m pre tax loss. Maybe a bit less.

On 01/02/2023 at 10:46, Davefevs said:

It’s the big unknown that isn’t really broken down in the accounts.  Undoubtedly costs incurred by Ashton Gate Ltd and Bristol Sport, charged to Football, but lord knows what else.

image.png.c0fcf07a31f5866ebf34a589ee60fafb.png

Some of it will be academy, community and women's football- a few clubs ironically Derby initially under Mel Morris broke some or all of these down separately in the group accounts. We do not which is fine but we don't.

Obviously cost of staging events, football in this instance, non football would be covered by AGL.

Still doesn't explain it all however, we can extrapolate for some of the areas above but still doesn't square the circle properly.

23 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

For me its almost working miracles to cut wages so much, and effectively be in a similar position on the pitch. I think this is overlooked by so many. It's a real credit to the club we have been able to fall back on the academy players - say what you like about previous leadership but you have to give them credit for planting those seeds.

So what has our wage bill gone from, at its peak, to now? And how much more would getting rid of JD and Kalas save?

Wages, amortisation.

Until Semenyo went no fee for 18 months paid out, no PL loanees for 5 windows and counting.

Not only that but the football is now drastically better than when he joined, some bad days of course but in the main. Far better bang for buck than before and in general terms at home especially in terms of performance plus on the road in terms of at times, resilience we are a lot more competitive than we were on much less cash.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous