IGNORED

Sam Bell

Boston Red

Tinnion said recently in an interview that as Bell and Conway went up the age groups together, everyone thought that it would be Sam Bell who would break through first. Injury set him back, but you can see why here. Watch Bell as Wells goes down the wing. The defender is always in perfect position to block out the cross, until the very last second when Bell accelerates past him to get ahead of him and tap in. Real centre-forward's instincts and makes it look easy. 

• Like 16
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Reid, Semenyo, Conway, Bell. Academy doing wonders with forwards.

This will stink of recency bias but I’m starting to think Bell might be my pick of the quartet. I can’t get over his finishing Vs WBA and to come out today with two shiny new forwards breathing down his neck and calmly score a winner… I really like the kid. Might be a bit special.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he had a quiet game today, but bagged the important second goal.  Good movement as everyone else has said.

Difficult game for him & wells as I think you wrote on another thread Dave . It’ll happen won’t it against sides like that . They wanted to make it ugly & disrupt us. It was a proper old fashioned away day for a proper number 9 but we don’t have one now which I’m pretty happy about . Against footballing sides we’ll create havoc on the break . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he had a quiet game today, but bagged the important second goal.  Good movement as everyone else has said.

I have not watched him anywhere near as much as those who watch our youth games but I get the sense he is the type of player who can be invisible for 87 minutes of a game and bag a hat trick in the other three…

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Difficult game for him & wells as I think you wrote on another thread Dave . It’ll happen won’t it against sides like that . They wanted to make it ugly & disrupt us. It was a proper old fashioned away day for a proper number 9 but we don’t have one now which I’m pretty happy about . Against footballing sides we’ll create havoc on the break . 

Anyone think he was fouled when Scott put him down the left and he cut inside?  Could’ve been nasty as his head went into the other defenders knee.

21 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I have not watched him anywhere near as much as those who watch our youth games but I get the sense he is the type of player who can be invisible for 87 minutes of a game and bag a hat trick in the other three…

Just think it was one of those games today, against a team that are tough to play flowing footie against.

He was quiet but still did fine.

• Like 2

Looking at that goal, I reckon some players might have fluffed that chance - he made it look easy but it can’t have been that easy judging that cross given it looks like the defender would have been blocking a clear view of the ball coming over and it was coming at pace.

• Like 1

I love that goal, great touch control and turn from Scott, but then has the vision and skill to hit the space. 
Nakhi has run from the defenders blindside at pace to get into acres on the wing.
Bell runs on the defenders back and fakes to run near post before going blindside and sprinting.
All around great movement and a lovely goal to watch.

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Anyone think he was fouled when Scott put him down the left and he cut inside?  Could’ve been nasty as his head went into the other defenders knee.

Just think it was one of those games today, against a team that are tough to play flowing footie against.

I thought the defender knew what he was doing, sneaky foul and another that could have been very nasty that was missed by a Ref looking straight at it. I make that 3 today.

The strikers fed on scraps today, didn't have the control of MF enough to make many of the situations like the goal. They pressed well at times and we ended up going longer quicker. 

In a way it's good to see us come out of a game like this with a win. Been too soft too long.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Let's just drop the generic "he's one of our own" bs and use "We've got Sammy Bell" and all is good.

We got Sammy Bell

We got Sammy Bell

We got Sammy , we got Sammy we got Sammy Bell.

And we had his Dad

And we had his Dad

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah it was , I remember the challenge & also went mental at the challenge on wells by Greg because I want our players to be protected . But I also played in a era when that was the norm & when asked Pearson smiled and said yeah I don’t mind that. If you’re of a certain age you remember Nige as a centre half . 
jumping with his elbow up into the back of the neck of a striker. He’d be a bit of a hypocrite if he slagged Cunningham off today . Even at park level , we’ve all done it 

9 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Tins bang on (yet again!) when saying soon enough our first choice strikers would be Conway and Bell

It's Tins comment (when talking about Scott and Conway) that we should see the 16 year olds (I think it was) coming through the academy.

The implication that they could be as good/better is almost frightening, but if true,  is exciting a prospect for City fans 

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I get the feeling that is the type of performance we’ll get from him generally though - he might be a  ‘disappear in a game then pop up for the winner’ kind of forward for a while.

He isn’t going to impose himself physically.

He’s not quite at the level he probably wants consistently to be as a ball carrier yet.

But when there’s space to play into, balls over the top and into channels and balls/crosses to run onto - his pace and movement will, and is already causing defenders all sorts of problems isn’t it which is great to see.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Loïs said:

Don't want to derail the subject (Bell has been a revelation), but must give a shout out to Wells with two assists today. Keeping him has been an incredible piece of business ? 

Said it here before Wells is the relatively unsung hero of the emergence of Conway and Wells; he brings out the best of both of them. Surely a future attacking coach? 

• Like 7