IGNORED

I hate Greg Cunningham

Antman

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

I genuinely do not recall him doing anything like that for us.  May be wrong.  

I always think of him being a bit quicker for us and a bit of a bottler, probably could play himself out of trouble a bit more.

Now he has been slowed down through age and injuries and has resulted into bullying, fouling and cheating. Through learning by experience he can do this Dark Arts stuff effectively and gets away with a lot.

Horrible trait in his character, but what else has he got. He never was that good, and now his skills are fading. I don't think he has ever got over being rejected by ManC. A bitter player, and I quite liked him at times here.

• Like 9

I don't remember him being that much of an arsehole for us but that could just be my memory. I totally get it must be disappointing for footballers not to play but it shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness not to pick up on the fact that he lost his place due to the fact we had a player who coming through who has gone on to play a key role in a play-off final and play in two of the big five leagues in Europe. 

Obnoxious as he now seems, he was a decent enough left back for us in both the Championship and League One. But he very obviously wasn't as good as Joe Bryan. Genuinely find it weird he feels the need to be a ***** about that. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I always think of him being a bit quicker for us and a bit of a bottler, probably could play himself out of trouble a bit more.

Now he has been slowed down through age and injuries and has resulted into bullying, fouling and cheating. Through learning by experience he can do this Dark Arts stuff effectively and gets away with a lot.

Horrible trait in his character, but what else has he got. He never was that good, and now his skills are fading. I don't think he has ever got over being rejected by ManC. A bitter player, and I quite liked him at times here.

Bitter seems the thread running through him. I’ll never forget his celebration and running up to Cotts soon after he left (think for Preston his first time around). Just thought it was desperate and weird. He should sign for Dum Barton’s mob - he’d fit right in! 

• Like 6

I rather hoped when the bid for Currie was rejected on transfer deadline day that we would've put a late bid in for Cunningham. He is experienced at this level and brings that element of s**thousery that most successful teams need. 

However, the main reason I would've liked him here being taken up onto the roof on Tuesday night is because hopefully someone would've then pushed the bleeder off of it.

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

Very satisfying to see how he fell down after Wells shoved him. 

At the time I was sure that Wells was going to get a red for that. I didn't clearly see what GC had done only Wells getting up and limping badly and then Cunningham falling like he been knocked out cold. Thankfully the Ref had a better view and didn't fall for GC's acting, although he also missed the sneaky foul that caused Wells to retaliate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Antman said:

sure, he used to play for us, but is it me or does that odious little shit go out of his way to be a wind up every time we play PNE.

the disgusting rake down the back of Nahki's leg was missed, then the play acting when Nahki jumps with him, he knew what he was doing, trying to get him sent off.

i HATE the bloke,

and the rapists* off the ball swing at Alex Scott should surely be punished.

(*whatever legal disclaimer you choose to apply, 'alleged' 'accused' etc.)

You beat me to starting this thread - just back home from Preston. But I had exactly the same phrase in mind - odious little shit.

When he came on at the start of the second half we actually said ‘ o look Cunningham has come on purely to take out Nakhi Wells - and that’s exactly what happened. A disgrace to the profession of footballers. 

• Like 3

Tbh I think the double winning team feel the same about him.

Im pretty sure he was always in the holiday snaps they all used to post  (even after some had left city) but after the incident in which he got flint sent off I dont remember him ever making another appearance in them.

I might have imagined this mind.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Offside said:

Very satisfying to see how he fell down after Wells shoved him. 

2 hours ago, RedM said:

At the time I was sure that Wells was going to get a red for that. I didn't clearly see what GC had done only Wells getting up and limping badly and then Cunningham falling like he been knocked out cold. Thankfully the Ref had a better view and didn't fall for GC's acting, although he also missed the sneaky foul that caused Wells to retaliate.

It was great, tho must admit I thought a red was coming too. He actually pushed him into the referee!!

Edited by italian dave
  • Like 2

He was excellent for Forest on loan, was delighted when we signed him from Man City on a permanent. A huge step up from Mcgivern who was awful.

He got injured then struggled to get a regular run under Cotts - gave it the big one when he scored for PNE against us.

Clearly has an issue with us, maybe a complex. Small man syndrome.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If memory serves me right he was one of the bright lights of our dismal relegation under SOD and it was a little surprising that he stayed for the start of the league 1 campaign, for me anyway.

However, once JB emerged properly he was clearly the better LB for what we needed at that level, and rightly took over - I suspect Greg thought he was ‘too good’ for that level and a younger academy lad taking his place has made him bitter.

Edited by Red Army 87

The strange thing is that I always remember thinking what a great team spirit there was in the League Championship team. And to me it was epitomised by the reaction of Joe Bryan when he scored that brilliant goal against Swindon, he turned and ran to the touchline and straight into the arms of Cunningham who was warming up there. Cunningham seemed so happy for him considering how little he was playing because of Joe.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't remember him being that much of an arsehole for us but that could just be my memory. I totally get it must be disappointing for footballers not to play but it shows a remarkable lack of self-awareness not to pick up on the fact that he lost his place due to the fact we had a player who coming through who has gone on to play a key role in a play-off final and play in two of the big five leagues in Europe. 

Obnoxious as he now seems, he was a decent enough left back for us in both the Championship and League One. But he very obviously wasn't as good as Joe Bryan. Genuinely find it weird he feels the need to be a ***** about that. 

One’s memory sometimes fades with age, but, as I recall, he was an excellent player until that awful injury away to Peterborough.

Unfortunately for GC, he never seemed to regain his previous form upon his return from injury and, of course, by this time the young Joe Bryan was emerging.

Nevertheless, none of the above excuses his behaviour since.

5 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

He's always been bitter after not being a regular in the promotion squad.

Remember his tweet from a few years back after beating us

"I love football"

And if my memory serves me right, wasn't he involved in getting a City player sent off a few years back too?

Total knob.

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, lenred said:

Bitter seems the thread running through him. I’ll never forget his celebration and running up to Cotts soon after he left (think for Preston his first time around). Just thought it was desperate and weird. He should sign for Dum Barton’s mob - he’d fit right in! 

Cotterill’s last match before he was sacked from memory. Cunningham won it for Preston with a late winner. We were in the bottom 3 at that point. 

Edited by eardun
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

If memory serves me right he was one of the bright lights of our dismal relegation under SOD and it was a little surprising that he stayed for the start of the league 1 campaign, for me anyway.

I thought he got injured before O Driscoll arrived? October ish? 
I don’t remember him at all after the Peterborough away game…he’s now just a bit of a penis with a bee in his bonnet when it comes to us. Maybe he should talk to someone and get it sorted? 

• Like 2

Just checked his wiki page and he joined us in our relegation season!? Can't even remember that. Sold at the end of our league one winning campaign as well. Amazing what you forget!

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I thought he got injured before REDACTED arrived? October ish? 
I don’t remember him at all after the Peterborough away game…he’s now just a bit of a penis with a bee in his bonnet when it comes to us. Maybe he should talk to someone and get it sorted? 

Fixed

11 hours ago, italian dave said:

You beat me to starting this thread - just back home from Preston. But I had exactly the same phrase in mind - odious little shit.

When he came on at the start of the second half we actually said ‘ o look Cunningham has come on purely to take out Nakhi Wells - and that’s exactly what happened. A disgrace to the profession of footballers. 

I think it possibly hacks him right off that he gets absolutely no reaction from City fans whenever he plays against us. Ex players either get warmly applauded or roundly booed, he gets nothing!

Granted it's a while ago now, but many other players of that era or even before that get some aknowledgement. I get the feeling it must really get to him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think it possibly hacks him right off that he gets absolutely no reaction from City fans whenever he plays against us. Ex players either get warmly applauded or roundly booed, he gets nothing!

Granted it's a while ago now, but many other players of that era or even before that get some aknowledgement. I get the feeling it must really get to him.

Did you see that gash down Nakhi’s calf when he came over to the City fans at the end of the game? Really nasty. 

In the cold light of day, I’d normally give most players the benefit of the doubt about whether an assault like that was deliberate or not. But not Cunningham - because I’ve seen his calculated efforts at intimidation too often before. 

I noticed too that there were two or three times when he sidled up to Sam Bell and was saying things to him - I wonder what that was about, but I’d hazard a guess that it wasn’t nice. 

• Like 2

It`s games like this that you need a Wilbs out there. I used to love it when some thug of a defender laid something on one of our younger/slighter players and about ten minutes later they would be writhing around having challenged for a header with him. He was a master at revenge and not getting caught and they rarely did it again.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, RedM said:

Need to watch it back again but thought that the reason he went down pole axed after that aerial duel was because the ball hit him in the face

51 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It`s games like this that you need a Wilbs out there. I used to love it when some thug of a defender laid something on one of our younger/slighter players and about ten minutes later they would be writhing around having challenged for a header with him. He was a master at revenge and not getting caught and they rarely did it again.

Wilbs had so much nous. I used to love watching from the South Stand how he controlled the opponent he was up against, often when attacking or defending corners. Also very strong and clever with his body. 

• Like 4

• The title was changed to I hate Greg Cunningham
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

He was the master of the dark arts done in the right manner. As said by a poster above, watching him in both boxes was a thing of beauty and he really was the minder of the team.  

Would love someone like Atkinson to turn into similar but not sure he has the inner on the pitch nastiness required (no slight on him).  Great to see we stood up against them as a team though yesterday against a team like Preston. A real milestone hopefully.  

Edited by lenred
  • Like 1