IGNORED

Match Report: Great Scott - Alex orchestrates end to Deepdale run

Olé

51 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Can you spot yourself here, Cidered???

A friend of mine played in both of the 1951 Newcastle cup ties - fascinating man to chat with.....

The world a very different place then - even the Rovers were well supported!!!football-crowd-bristol-rovers-v-newcastle-united-21761748.jpg.webp.7164e869b7331000dcc78bb12e3f3391.webp

It was a Wednesday afternoon. Dad got the tickets and Mum arranged my absence from school. Rovers had drawn at Newcastle.

In their side if memory is correct. Jackie Milburn, a cousin of the Charlton's. Two Chilean internationals the Robledo brothers, Jimmy Scoular?

What was your friend's name? A Rovers player? Geoff Bradford, George Petherbridge, Josser Watling, Harry Bamford - very sad death a year after he coached me. Jack Pitt, Bert Hoyle?

@Son of Fred

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In those long forgotten times, no football on TV  except for one late autumn England game at Wembley and the FA cup final and FA Amateur Cup Final, one had to go to stadiums to see the stars of the day. Thus at Eastville, in 1951 I saw Newcastle with Jackie Millburn, in1956, the Pre Munich air crash Busby Babes with the great Duncan Edwards and 1957 PNE with Tom Finney.

Then in 1959 City got a home game with Blackpool so we saw Stan Matthews.

Dad also took me to Cardiff City en route to my grandmother's house and I saw England's captain Billy Wright of Wolves and lots of stars who wouldn't play at Third Division BCFC.

I got tickets for England games and saw world superstar's like Di Stefano, Eusebio, Puskas and so many others.

I have always supported City but I've never turned down opportunities to see the great players if it was possible.

Great post cidered. You are going back to some very memorable years, I thought I was one of the oldest City Supporters on here often I dribble s*^t but you still seem to have your marbels. Good on ya mate.

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It was a Wednesday afternoon. Dad got the tickets and Mum arranged my absence from school. Rovers had drawn at Newcastle.

In their side if memory is correct. Jackie Milburn, a cousin of the Charlton's. Two Chilean internationals the Robledo brothers, Jimmy Scoular?

What was your friend's name? A Rovers player? Geoff Bradford, George Petherbridge, Josser Watling, Harry Bamford - very sad death a year after he coached me. Jack Pitt, Bert Hoyle?

@Son of Fred

Josser,,,,lovely warm, kind man,, loved to listen to stories of his playing days when I was a boy - was a good friend to my parents (both now sadly departed)...

Joss still with us!

Edited by Son of Fred

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Josser,,,,lovely warm, kind man,, loved to listen to stories of his playing days when I was a boy - was a good friend to my parents (both now sadly departed)...

Joss still with us!

I was a member of the Eagle comic. They organised two separate sessions of coaching and I got on both.

First one was Harry Bamford for an evening once a week for six weeks. He got us comps for the Gloster Cup final at Eastville. About a year before he was killed in traffic incident. I was at the Rovers v City game the following Saturday. It was the tamest Derby I've ever seen as none of the players really wanted to play. Crowd totally silent before game for two minutes and also quiet for all of the match.

The two one night sessions at Victoria Rooms had Josser and Alec Eisentrager. Both great guys and so thrilled to hear that he is still battling on. You have just brought tears to my old eyes.

@Son of Fred

• Like 1
  • Robin 1