IGNORED

Match Report: Great Scott - Alex orchestrates end to Deepdale run

Olé

Footballers often get a bad rap for being soft, diving around, simulation and gamesmanship etc.

We fans generally on the whole say we hate it.

Yet you watch that game yesterday and every touch on their players, every time they went down in a challenge the home fans played along, baying for a foul or even a yellow or red card from an over dramatic the top fall. 

That Preston team base themselves around all that shit and the hypocritical fans encourage it and play along - does my head in.

I’m not against the dark arts from time to time but I’d hate to watch that every week.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 5

Thanks @Olé as usual. 

I’d also have to say that I didn’t feel it was quite as comfortable as you did! I certainly didn’t ever feel that the term ‘one-sided’ came to mind, however much it was qualified. 

That feeling probably wasn’t helped by the fact that the officials completely lost control second half, became utterly unpredictable, and that’s really not what you want as an away side at Deepdale. 

None of that is to detract from what we did, and did well. Yes we (generally) controlled things at the back, even when under pressure, and yes we broke well when we had the chance. But it was a pretty scrappy game for long spells. 

And partly for that reason I think the points are a bit generous. Scott particularly: don’t get me wrong he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the pitch, but I just felt that we’ll see even better from him in the future - and then what score do you give him?!

@ROSEBUD RED - it was hard to tell as we were defending the end farthest from us, and it got very crowded, but it looked to me like Kalas made an important contribution in the time he was on - a time when we were under most pressure. As others have said, seemed solid, but he also emanates a sense of calmness, and he gave us a lot more height (even if he’s not the tallest his ability to get up high is fantastic) and that was important because they were already a big side and they brought on another couple of giants as subs. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Footballers often get a bad rap for being soft, diving around, simulation and gamesmanship etc.

Yet you watch that game yesterday and every touch on their players, every time they went down in a challenge the home fans played along, baying for a foul or even a yellow or red card from an over dramatic the top fall. 

That Preston team base themselves around all that shit and the hypocritical fans encourage it and play along - does my head in.

I’m not against the dark arts from time to time but I’d hate to watch that every week.

The legacy of four years of Alex Neill still in evidence?? I never had Lowe down as that sort of manager? 

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

The legacy of four years of Alex Neill still in evidence?? I never had Lowe down as that sort of manager? 

Yes, I wondered about that too. Bit strange, isn’t it? Maybe it’s just become ingrained in the culture of the club under the previous regime. Will be interesting to see if Lowe makes any attempt to change that over time.

• Like 1

Saw a different game to me, Ole.

We were rarely in control, let alone 'total control' (We were only two goals up for 16 minutes.) To me, it looked like a game of rugby. Constant long high balls, and a relentless physical battle with one beautiful passage of skill to elevate it from grimness. The match was as enticing as a Victorian factory.

I don't see how Max gets a nine when he gave a goal away, although he did make some good saves.

Result was everything. Chiselled out of tungsten.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I don't believe Lowe is the sort of manager to instill that sort of play into his players, is it egacy players not able to change ?

Horrible team to watch, I'd hate to watch that on a regular basis, they got what they deserved and I hope they tumble down the division.

20 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Saw a different game to me, Ole.

We were rarely in control, let alone 'total control' (We were only two goals up for 16 minutes.) To me, it looked like a game of rugby. Constant long high balls, and a relentless physical battle with one beautiful passage of skill to elevate it from grimness. The match was as enticing as a Victorian factory.

I don't see how Max gets a nine when he gave a goal away, although he did make some good saves.

Result was everything. Chiselled out of tungsten.

Result. But also the manner of it. It was a battle more than a game of football. We wouldn’t have won that a few months ago. 

• Thanks 2

We were never really in control and I felt many times we were playing into Preston's hands. We played the long ball yesterday far more than we have most games this season. However, only one side were trying to play football and that was us.

Preston were the most physical, direct and aggressive side I have seen us play this season. There was me thinking that style of play was a thing of the past ?‍♂️ Two big strikers, lumping it into the box at all times. We played a really deep defensive line from early on which was IMO not the right tactic to use. Should have been a high line and then we'd have dictated the game I think.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

The incredible thing for me is that when I was growing up, PNE had one of England's greatest players of all time, Tom Finney. I saw them in a Cup Final on TV and at Eastville in a cup tie and they played real quality passing football.

I have always believed that such great players leave their imprint in a club. John Atyeo certainly did for City, as City supporters don't want our side to  be a "Dark Arts Team".

A shame that Finney's influence has not lived on at Preston.

• Like 1
  • Robin 4

We weren't in control in the sense of dominating possession, but City players won most of their battles and Preston didn't have enough to find a way through. Sure, we'd prefer it if Max had nothing to do at all, but barring one mistake, he was equal to every test, as were the others.

I didn't much enjoy the way City played most of the game, but Preston don't give teams much choice in how they play. It was always going to be a battle and the only question was whether we won or lost that battle.

• Like 1

Agree with the comments about us being in control. Just before Bell scored, we had been backs to the wall for at least a 10 minute spell, with the ball bouncing a couple of times in the six yard box which could easily have led to an equaliser. Max's reactions saved us a few times on the day.

Not quite a textbook away win because it lacked that control. A bit more of a hard-earned, slightly cheeky away win.

Enjoyable report though.

We won ugly as they say, not much free flowing football was played. We mopped up their constant pressure and they looked like equalising before we scored a third. The ball was constantly out for throw in's or free kicks, very stop start and a lot of head tennis. Not easy on the eye but certainly a job done. Glad we don't watch games like this too often.

• Like 2

Thanks for the report (run out of likes)

Interestingly game 29 last season we played Preston away and conceded on 90+5 for a 2-2 draw leaving us on 34 points.

Game 29 this season, away to Preston we held on this time to give us 2 extra points putting us on 36.

Progress.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Interestingly game 29 last season we played Preston away and conceded on 90+5 for a 2-2 draw leaving us on 34 points.

Game 29 this season, away to Preston we held on this time to give us 2 extra points putting us on 36.

Progress.

Good spot! 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We weren't in control in the sense of dominating possession, but City players won most of their battles and Preston didn't have enough to find a way through.

Thanks Dan  - for everyone reacting to my control remark this is what I meant but it can be hard to get a point across six cans deep into the last train to Euston. ?

We always looked like we were organised and had bodies ready to close the angles, apart from Cannon and Evans headers at the start we limited them to shots around the box. Yes last 20 was uncomfortable in a grim inevitability sense but compared to prior games at Deepdale (I was there for the 0-5) we seemed to have their number and you could see how frustrated they were getting unable to create clear cut chances.

In my book that's control. Frankly you can be in total control of a match even if you only have 10% possession and a minority of shots IF you limit the opposition in the time they have the ball to playing in front of six or seven players and relying on pot shots or 50/50 headers from crosses. We did exactly that and all the quality and incisive attacking play was from us.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Progress.

A very interesting spot.

My memory is we were much easier on the eye that day, and Hans had one of those days when he seemed to just dominate. It all went to pot in the final seconds when we failed to take it in the corner, they broke, very good finish 2-2.

Yesterday last real play, ball pinging around our area, players throwing themselves everywhere to get blocks in, punching the air when it finished with a goal kick, and sinking to the ground knackered on the final whistle.

Could argue we deserved to win last year and draw this. Just blind luck comes in to it as well, but real ‘grit’ in the effort yesterday, and three points not one.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The incredible thing for me is that when I was growing up, PNE had one of England's greatest players of all time, Tom Finney. I saw them in a Cup Final on TV and at Eastville in a cup tie and they played real quality passing football.

I have always believed that such great players leave their imprint in a club. John Atyeo certainly did for City, as City supporters don't want our side to  be a "Dark Arts Team".

A shame that Finney's influence has not lived on at Preston.

What on earth were you doing at Eastville????   Strictly only for greyhounds!

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Daniro said:

What on earth were you doing at Eastville????   Strictly only for greyhounds!

In those long forgotten times, no football on TV  except for one late autumn England game at Wembley and the FA cup final and FA Amateur Cup Final, one had to go to stadiums to see the stars of the day. Thus at Eastville, in 1951 I saw Newcastle with Jackie Millburn, in1956, the Pre Munich air crash Busby Babes with the great Duncan Edwards and 1957 PNE with Tom Finney.

Then in 1959 City got a home game with Blackpool so we saw Stan Matthews.

Dad also took me to Cardiff City en route to my grandmother's house and I saw England's captain Billy Wright of Wolves and lots of stars who wouldn't play at Third Division BCFC.

I got tickets for England games and saw world superstar's like Di Stefano, Eusebio, Puskas and so many others.

I have always supported City but I've never turned down opportunities to see the great players if it was possible.

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

40 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

In those long forgotten times, no football on TV  except for one late autumn England game at Wembley and the FA cup final and FA Amateur Cup Final, one had to go to stadiums to see the stars of the day. Thus at Eastville, in 1951 I saw Newcastle with Jackie Millburn, in1956, the Pre Munich air crash Busby Babes with the great Duncan Edwards and 1957 PNE with Tom Finney.

Then in 1959 City got a home game with Blackpool so we saw Stan Matthews.

Dad also took me to Cardiff City en route to my grandmother's house and I saw England's captain Billy Wright of Wolves and lots of stars who wouldn't play at Third Division BCFC.

I got tickets for England games and saw world superstar's like Di Stefano, Eusebio, Puskas and so many others.

I have always supported City but I've never turned down opportunities to see the great players if it was possible.

Great post ??????

Imagine seeing those players, you lucky old bugger.

I only go back to 78, so saw the first division stars that City took on the likes of like Dalglish, Souness, et all.

20 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

We weren't in control in the sense of dominating possession, but City players won most of their battles and Preston didn't have enough to find a way through. Sure, we'd prefer it if Max had nothing to do at all, but barring one mistake, he was equal to every test, as were the others.

I didn't much enjoy the way City played most of the game, but Preston don't give teams much choice in how they play. It was always going to be a battle and the only question was whether we won or lost that battle.

In some respects it’s the Wimbledon syndrome. They were huge underdogs and  battled and used every method of intimidation to win matches against much better players. Anti football it was but it brought success but never respect.

Preston are underdogs with small gates and are surrounded by bigger clubs nowadays. They evidently decided that to survive with lesser players they needed to take every advantage possible. This has brought them a stability in the very demanding Championship. They are, I believe, Fighting above their weight. I am just glad that we haven’t gone down that route and have always , often to our detriment, tried to play attractive football. Big Nige seems, finally, to have made the link between good football and tough players. 

9 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Thus at Eastville, in 1951 I saw Newcastle with Jackie Millburn,

Can you spot yourself here, Cidered???

A friend of mine played in both of the 1951 Newcastle cup ties - fascinating man to chat with.....

The world a very different place then - even the Rovers were well supported!!!football-crowd-bristol-rovers-v-newcastle-united-21761748.jpg.webp.7164e869b7331000dcc78bb12e3f3391.webp

20 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Can you spot yourself here, Cidered???

A friend of mine played in both of the 1951 Newcastle cup ties - fascinating man to chat with.....

The world a very different place then - even the Rovers were well supported!!!football-crowd-bristol-rovers-v-newcastle-united-21761748.jpg.webp.7164e869b7331000dcc78bb12e3f3391.webp

That him…Front row, headscarf, sticking the Vs up!

• Haha 1

On 05/02/2023 at 08:32, Alessandro said:

Don't forget all the handball appeals!

• Like 1