IGNORED

Wells

Garland-sweden

his fitness levels are something i didnt notice in previous seasons, pace being the main one, the lad is a lot quicker than i remember, almost like hes keeping up with his trainees, they would have learned a lot from him when NW wasnt in the first team much. the whole front line is like its on steroids compared to last season

• Like 6

I don’t think it a coincidence that, when he was struggling for us, he was frequently playing aside 10 statues waiting for a pass before they started moving.

With pace and movement around him he looks…well, like he did at QPR with pace and movement around him. The team now works really well for him and he now works really well for the team.

• Like 14

What many don't realise and see, is what he is doing behind the scenes.

As unselfish a footballer as you could meet - he is actively giving coaching and advice to both Conway and Bell. He will go on to be an excellent coach, and wants to support the other strikers at the club (whom he could think would take his role at any time).

To think this is the club where he has spent the longest part of his career is strange, based on how icon status at other clubs and though he was pricey and his wage was high, we will see the dividends from his impact at the club in years to come. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

He takes a lot of big hits from massive defenders but keeps coming back for more. Like others have said he's got good pace and isn't bad in aerial duels. 

A really impressive season so far, hope he can stay fit and fire in at least 15 for us.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Packman said:

He takes a lot of big hits from massive defenders but keeps coming back for more. Like others have said he's got good pace and isn't bad in aerial duels. 

A really impressive season so far, hope he can stay fit and fire in at least 15 for us.

His ability in the air is excellent, either jumps early or does enough with his body position to make it really difficult for the cb to get a clean header. Always impressive to watch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

his fitness levels are something i didnt notice in previous seasons, pace being the main one, the lad is a lot quicker than i remember, almost like hes keeping up with his trainees, they would have learned a lot from him when NW wasnt in the first team much. the whole front line is like its on steroids compared to last season

Never injured is he?

I think he’s got his confidence back, and some of that comes from playing regularly.  When he was in and out you saw him snatch at stuff, balls bouncing off him, but now he is such a good striker for us, even when we go direct, he backs in, makes it difficult, even if he doesn’t win it.

Hes actually got quite a long stride pattern for a short(ish) striker.  I do want him to get into double figures, seems there is a log jam building.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don’t think it a coincidence that, when he was struggling for us, he was frequently playing aside 10 statues waiting for a pass before they started moving.

With pace and movement around him he looks…well, like he did at QPR with pace and movement around him. The team now works really well for him and he now works really well for the team.

Not just that but, before this season he was usually paired with Semenyo and, allied to what you say, all too often our main attacking tactic seemed to be knock it up to Antoine in the hope that he would do the rest on his own. That's not to knock Semenyo , as his goal record on his return was excellent, but as with Fammy previously we had one player that influenced the way we played and not necessarily for the best.

It is interesting that Tommy's introduction this season came about because of Semenyo's injury and that he really hit the ground running when partnered with Wells. It is also interesting that following Tommy's own injury, Bell has also hit the ground running when paired with Wells. 

Bell/Conway + Wells does seem to make us a better team and certainly seems to make us a more potent attacking threat. Also I've always said that both Conway amd Bell are natural goalscorers, in a way that Semenyo wasn't. In and around the box I reckon these two qill convert far more chances thatn would Antoine in the same situation. Wells , as provider, will only benefit them and us, not forgetting he is still pretty handy in front of goal! 

• Like 2

Had quite a few arguments with people on here & Twitter who suggested he had a bad attitude because he looked pissed off at times when we lost or when chances were missed. Never bought into it myself & glad he’s now getting a good amount of game time in his preferred position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Totally this. He never did form a decent partnership with Martin etc. When he started providing for Conway was the first time I saw any consistant link up play, and now Bell

Check this thread:

Was completely written off almost 2 years ago to the day. He did have a spell where he didn’t look that interested, though there’s always factors behind individual performances. Out of position probably didn’t help. Out wide in a 442 at one point IIRC.

Made I larff: “quite possibly one of the very worst buys in our history.”

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I wonder how many on here, myself included, were thinking only a few seasons ago that we had really been sold a pup by Burnley.

This was what I wrote in the thread mention above from 2 years ago:

image.thumb.png.870a8ffe284c3628c0b278f6f374f4ac.png

Feel quite happy with what I wrote at the time, and like you…

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Had quite a few arguments with people on here & Twitter who suggested he had a bad attitude because he looked pissed off at times when we lost or when chances were missed. Never bought into it myself & glad he’s now getting a good amount of game time in his preferred position. 

…I never subscribed to the “bad attitude”, “doesn’t want to be here” type stuff that surrounded his lack of a smile.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Never injured is he?

I think he’s got his confidence back, and some of that comes from playing regularly.  When he was in and out you saw him snatch at stuff, balls bouncing off him, but now he is such a good striker for us, even when we go direct, he backs in, makes it difficult, even if he doesn’t win it.

Hes actually got quite a long stride pattern for a short(ish) striker.  I do want him to get into double figures, seems there is a log jam building.

Cunningham’s drag down his calf was the thing of red cards are made. Right in front of a weekly awful referee!

Hopefully he’s fit for next week, most defenders don’t fancy playing him right now!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aa_bcfc said:

Wells was limping when he came over to the fans at the end of the game. Let’s hope he’s not going to miss games. At least now though we have options with  Cornick and with AW back. 

probably because that talentless ******* C***ingham raked his calf - hopefully he's not injured. but i imagine that would be sore afterward

Can’t knock the attitude that Wells has shown over the past 12 months or so.

I like many others had written him off and had him down to follow the likes of Kasey Palmer out the door but credit to him he has really knuckled down and has become a vital member of the squad. 

• Like 2