IGNORED

Kane Wilson

pl00peh91

21 hours ago, frenchred said:

He's not going to suddenly come back as some right sided superstar and the answer to all our problems just for being out injured!

Is it only here that players are escalated to Messiah status while out injured.

He wasn't good enough before his injury and will need time and patience on the training ground to be anywhere near championship standard

A couple of things. One is, I don't think we have any particular "problems" down the right side George Tanner is getting better and better by game and his assist for the third goal against WBA was a thing of beauty. Sykes ahead of him, hasn't been spectacular, but he has scored 4 goals and got an assist in the last 5 games.

The second thing is, as @Davefevssaid, most of us have only seen him with an injury, that worsened to the point of requiring surgery, the players who saw him fit preseason were apparently really impressed by him and disappointed he hasn't been available.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

A couple of things. One is, I don't think we have any particular "problems" down the right side George Tanner is getting better and better by game and his assist for the third goal against WBA was a thing of beauty. Sykes ahead of him, hasn't been spectacular, but he has scored 4 goals and got an assist in the last 5 games.

The second thing is, as @Davefevssaid, most of us have only seen him with an injury, that worsened to the point of requiring surgery, the players who saw him fit preseason were apparently really impressed by him and disappointed he hasn't been available.

This might be worth a thread of its own, but re your Sykes comment.

This is a bloke we picked up on a free transfer with absolutely no fanfare at all from Oxford United where he was a utility player.

He’s started 20 league games already (his first ones at Championship level) & covered RWB whilst Wilson was injured, he’s also won his first Irish cap.

Since moving to his natural RM position he’s scored 4 in 5 games.

Pearson made a point of saying when we signed Mehmeti & Cornick that they have a track record of playing “lots” of games.

We shelled out £600k for someone like Adelakun & then got virtually nothing back, that was by no means an isolated example either, contrast that with Sykes, who I expect (like Wilson) is a relatively low wage earner.

Sykes isn’t “spectacular” but he’s an example of how we are upping our game in terms of recruitment, with far less spent, but very little wasted.

Happy days.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

This is a bloke we picked up on a free transfer with absolutely no fanfare at all from Oxford United where he was a utility player.

He’s started 20 league games already (his first ones at Championship level) & covered RWB whilst Wilson was injured, he’s also won his first Irish cap.

Pearson made a point of saying when we signed Mehmeti & Cornick that they have a track record of playing “lots” of games.

We shelled out £600k for someone like Adelakun & got virtually nothing back, that was by no means an isolated example, either, contrast that with Sykes, who I expect (like Wilson) is a relatively low wage earner.

Sykes isn’t “spectacular” he’s an example of how we are upping our game in terms of recruitment, with far less spent, but very little wasted.

Happy days.

Yes, believe me I wasn't attempting to denigrate Sykes in any way, it was an answer to the post that seemed to be suggesting that we were somehow lacking down the right side. When I say he isn't spectacular, I meant he hasn't caught the eye, the way a marauding Pring has for example. 

I think Sykes has worked really hard at his game, even before moving to the more forward position, he never looked as "lost at sea" after the QPR game where he was caught out of position again and again. I just think a fit Wilson will bring a lot of competition to both him and Tanner.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We shelled out £600k for someone like Adelakun & then got virtually nothing back, that was by no means an isolated example either, contrast that with Sykes, who I expect (like Wilson) is a relatively low wage earner.

Sykes isn’t “spectacular” but he’s an example of how we are upping our game in terms of recruitment, with far less spent, but very little wasted.

Happy days.

The quality of signings since Pearson and Tinnion have got together is so good that it is almost unreal compared with tow we have squnadered money for the past thirty years.

We now have, in many positions, two competent and trustworthy players who are young and, apparently, determined to improve and be winners. A few more to go in in the summer and where will it lead us to? 

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes, believe me I wasn't attempting to denigrate Sykes in any way, it was an answer to the post that seemed to be suggesting that we were somehow lacking down the right side. When I say he isn't spectacular, I meant he hasn't caught the eye, the way a marauding Pring has for example. 

I think Sykes has worked really hard at his game, even before moving to the more forward position, he never looked as "lost at sea" after the QPR game where he was caught out of position again and again. I just think a fit Wilson will bring a lot of competition to both him and Tanner.

Didn’t think you were, mate.

loads of players are unspectacular, doesn’t mean they aren’t effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Happy days.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Sykes. His touch is good, he tracks back well and he's fit as a fiddle.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've actually been pleasantly surprised by Sykes. His touch is good, he tracks back well and he's fit as a fiddle.

In one of the early games, away I think, he pulled off a trick to beat his full back that reminded me of Mark Gavin, I don't know why I haven't seen him use it since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

In one of the early games, away I think, he pulled off a trick to beat his full back that reminded me of Mark Gavin, I don't know why I haven't seen him use it since.

Don't worry we'll get some Gavinesque wing-play from Mehmetti ?

Back to Sykes, I personally think he'll be a big success here. Credit to the scouts.

Back on topic, I'm also excited about seeing what Wilson can do, albeit I've been pleased with Tanner recently too.

Kane Wilson having a knee injury that he will have to manage for the rest of his career does not sound good at all. It has to make you wonder if we will ever see him at his best.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-nigel-pearson-wilson-8133270