IGNORED

Desire - Joe Williams

Davefevs

I was looking at an old thread bemoaning what a disastrous signing he was in his first year with us when he only managed to make 1 (sixty minute) league appearance under Holden.

After that we managed to get 22 appearances (13 starts, 9 as a sub), 1250 minutes from him in Pearson’s first full season.

This season he’s featured in 26 of our games (admittedly not always as a starter) & already has played 1581 minutes of league football.

This all goes to show the benefit of employing Dave Rennie, as our overall player availability is off the scale when compared to 20/21.

• Like 18
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He's been so fired up recently, absolutely chomping at the bit to be out there. 

Love that. Good man management too, to channel that energy positively 

This is a big period for him, pretty much guaranteed a start whilst Kal is out, time to nail down his spot and prove his fitness. 

That kind  of determination to close down and block efforts on goal is exactly what Nige wants from all his players.  All proper managers should expect the same. It’s what professional footballers are paid to do.

• Like 1

Watching clips like this and the one on the Bristol City Twitter titled "Together", where the team made successive challenges and blocks in the box to hold on to the lead vs Preston, to me are just as - if not more - satisfying as a wonder goal or insane piece of skill clip. It's the passion, desire and determination from the lads fighting for each other, the manager and the badge. 

It really does feel special more recently. More so than a squad I can recall in a long time. It's how I'd imagine I'd try and put my body on the line for the club I support - if in another life I played for City! Love it. Long may it continue. COYR

• Like 12

4 hours ago, HOZDA said:

Watching clips like this and the one on the Bristol City Twitter titled "Together", where the team made successive challenges and blocks in the box to hold on to the lead vs Preston, to me are just as - if not more - satisfying as a wonder goal or insane piece of skill clip. It's the passion, desire and determination from the lads fighting for each other, the manager and the badge. 

It really does feel special more recently. More so than a squad I can recall in a long time. It's how I'd imagine I'd try and put my body on the line for the club I support - if in another life I played for City! Love it. Long may it continue. COYR

It would be awesome if someone could post that clip here for those of us that don't have twitter.

1 hour ago, TinMan's left peg said:

It’s not just the commitment, it’s also the nouse to realise as soon as the ball is past the wall he needs to get back and make the block.  Most players in a wall will just watch it sail over their heads.  It’s a great bit of play.  

Absolutely, but the desire is key, too.

How many times in the past have we let in a late goal from a set piece?

This by Williams & the collective stuff in the final few minutes at Preston where Weimann, Vyner then Scott all got blocks in to keep the opposition out, is how to turn draws into wins & defeats into draws.

GJ’s playoff final team (so under appreciated on here) were the absolute masters of it;

Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister, with Marvin Elliott in front of them, McIndoe superb at tucking in, Dele as another aerial support, that & by outrunning sides was how they did it.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes,,, isn't being committed a requirement of any job??

Basics.

Yes it is. However there are so many reasons why any person has an off day from a row with his wife, to serious illness within the family and so on and infinitum.

Someone in an office does 5% less than normal. A surgeon goes slower than normal.

A professional footballers timing is a split second out.

None are deliberate actions. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Robbored said:

That kind  of determination to close down and block efforts on goal is exactly what Nige wants from all his players.  All proper managers should expect the same. It’s what professional footballers are paid to do.

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

Yes,,, isn't being committed a requirement of any job??

Basics.

It is, but it's not always the case and it's that extra bit of motivation that makes it happen. What you can just about see from that video, is the players turning to celebrate/thank/applaud his work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

This by Williams & the collective stuff in the final few minutes at Preston where Weimann, Vyner then Scott all got blocks in to keep the opposition out, is how to turn draws into wins & defeats into draws.

GJ’s playoff final team (so under appreciated on here) were the absolute masters of it;

Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister, with Marvin Elliott in front of them, McIndoe superb at tucking in, Dele as another aerial support, that & by outrunning sides was how they did it.

I believe Johnson called it ‘mothering the goal’. Imagine your mother is in the goal and protect her at all costs. 

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Fail to see how McIndoe falls into the category of "throwing bodies in the way". Any likelihood of getting near a "meaty" challenge and he turned into an Olympic hurdler.

7 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Fail to see how McIndoe falls into the category of "throwing bodies in the way". Any likelihood of getting near a "meaty" challenge and he turned into an Olympic hurdler.

He covered McAllister brilliantly, in exactly the same way Sykes does Tanner. 
Closing & denying space, he was excellent at it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Think he will be right up for it on Wednesday, against his former employers too!

Williams will be fired up for certain, though he has nothing to prove to them.

Certain Wigan players (especially McClean?) and the Wigan following will be eager to wind him up.

Joe will need to keep a cool head and stay focused on playing as well as he has done recently.

Nothing is as important as getting another three precious points and keeping our momentum going.

Edited by Bazooka Joe
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Williams will be fired up for certain, though he has nothing to prove to them.

Certain Wigan players (especially McClean?) and the home crowd will be eager to wind him up.

Joe will need to keep a cool head and stay focused on playing as well as he has done recently.

Nothing is as important as getting another three precious points and keeping our momentum going.

Wigan are the away team, i would guess won't be many of them at the gate on Wednesday to wind him up.

• Haha 1