IGNORED

Hall of Fame class of 2022/23 - the next inductee is...

shahanshahan

More then a few of my favourite city memories were under GJ. What a ride that was. One of the few times i can remember where the players, manager and club were truly as one. It was a special period.

Never forget just how much trouble we were in when he first came in, then quite a few winless at first too. There was a before xmas red& White night (Huddersfield maybe?) where the club was simply desperate for a win.

(For me personally i always remember the depressing circle. Starting with Bradford at home, FT 7th or 8th defeat in a row.. windass gives the going down sign to the atyeo, from that moment i truly hated him with every inch of passion; wembley was a chance for revenge in my eye;  it just had to be him with a worldy didn't it) -

NB some things above may be a bit off due to memory.

Anyone wonderful memories. Amazing period, man is legend 

• Like 1

Isn’t @Robbored a member?

Could we ask Johnson to re-enact his finest moment and hand @Robbored balls on a plate to him?

3 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

The Supporters Club & Trust are pleased to announce that former Bristol City manager Gary Johnson is the next inductee into the Hall of Fame class of 2022/23, representing the 2000s.

In his five seasons with us, Gary Johnson achieved promotion to the Championship and was one game away from a successive promotion the Premier League.

Gary joined us in September 2005 at a low point with City languishing in the relegation zone. We had a great run in second half of the 2005/06 season and there was even talk of play-offs but we finished 9th.

The next season 2006/07 was a glorious one culminating that amazing 3-1 victory over Rotherham United on the last day, which clinched the longed-for promotion to the Championship behind champions Scunthorpe United.

2007/08 was another very exciting season. It looked for much of the time like successive promotion to the Premier League was on the cards but we had to be content with the play-offs. City reached their peak performance in two fantastic legs against Crystal Palace. They won the away leg 2-1 with David Noble’s stunning injury-time goal. Palace then levelled the aggregate score at Ashton Gate forcing extra time. Goals from Lee Trundle & Michael McIndoe then sealed City’s trip to Wembley. But it was a heartbreak final against Hull City – failing to rise to the occasion and succumbing to a wonder strike from Dean Windass.

The 2008/09 season Nicky Maynard became City’s record signing at the time, but momentum was not maintained and we finished 10th.

The 2009/10 season looked like a similar finish and with the Club’s high aspirations Gary left by mutual consent but it was an emotional affair. Since leaving City, Gary has gone onto manage Peterborough United, Northampton Town, a return to Yeovil Town, Cheltenham Town, and is currently the manager at Torquay United.

Hall-of-Fame-2022-23-Gary-Johnson.png

City fans have now recognised Gary’s contribution to our Club by voting him into the Bristol City Hall of Fame. The presentation will take place before the Wigan game on Wednesday 15th February at 6.30pm in our Supporters Bar above the Independence Sports Bar.

The remaining inductees from the 1940s/50s, 1960s/1970s & 1980s/1990s decades will be announced in due course. They will join Gary Johnson & the previously announced Loren Dykes MBE & Corinne Yorston

Words by @Blagdon Mike. Graphics by me!

What have the two ladies gone to be in Bristol City’s hall of fame?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Henry said:

What have the two ladies gone to be in Bristol City’s hall of fame?

3 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Ticked a box!

If you read it the reasons for them being inducted are explained, I'm guessing that your curmudgeoness over this is perhaps related to you both being of pensionable age?

Edited by richwwtk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

You’re not suggesting that all people of pensionable age are curmudgeonly, are you Rich? ;) Because we’re not!

Of course not everybody, but a certain bewilderment wiith the modern world, accompanied by an inability to keep up, certainly does increase with age.

I'm not so far off myself, so hope to follow in your fine footsteps by being an exception to the rule!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, adamski said:

Can't argue with his record...best since Dicks, debatable. Manner he departed questionable. Legacy he left dubious....

But a larger than life character who certainly made stuff happen and raised our profile

Happy to debate that, so who has achieved more? Arguable that TC possibly did, as we were dead & buried before he turned us around.

No one else has a case though.

First season, GJ took over after the Tinnion debacle, finished the season with 2 defeats in 14 (9 wins) after he sorted us out.

Next season, won automatic promotion.

Season after, got to the Prem playoff final, highest place finish (4th) since AD left.

Next season 10th, fourth highest place finish since AD left.

Who comes remotely close to that? ******* Danny Wilson & his 4 seasons of third division inertia?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Happy to debate that, so who has achieved more? Arguable that TC possibly did, as we were dead & buried before he turned us around.

No one else has a case though.

First season, GJ took over after the Tinnion debacle, finished the season with 2 defeats in 14 (9 wins) after he sorted us out.

Next season, won automatic promotion.

Season after, got to the Prem playoff final, highest place finish (4th) since AD left.

Next season 10th, fourth highest place finish since AD left.

Who comes remotely close to that? ******* Danny Wilson & his 4 seasons of third division inertia?

I guess his Trump card must be play off, which is still not a promotion.

Jordan got us promoted, but left..

Ward got us promoted and sacked

I suppose, at least Cotterill actually won something X2 which Johnson, Ward and Johnson failed to do

Legacy, well the desert that normally remains when a bully leaves the building!

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, adamski said:

I guess his Trump card must be play off, which is still not a promotion.

Jordan got us promoted, but left..

Ward got us promoted and sacked

I suppose, at least Cotterill actually won something X2 which Johnson, Ward and Johnson failed to do

Legacy, well the desert that normally remains when a bully leaves the building!

None of Ward, Jordan or Cotterill ever achieved anything at Championship level with us. He did, his worst season was amongst our best in the last 43 years.

Pretty obvious that your mind is made up from your last sentence, though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Oh that play off final....tactics were not to lose it and it backfired ☹️

I think you're confused with the Brighton play off final when the "proper manager" Danny Wilson managed a team with not one shot on target?

That team under GJ would have won that game but for Jamie McCoombe's illness and Bradley Orr having to go off injured, well, IMHO.....

• Like 5

Despite how his tenure ended a very good choice for me. He came in with a remit to change the football side of the club top to bottom and did just that. We were so close to the Premier League which is why I take exception to the OP's comment that we failed to rise to the occasion. We list McCombe  on the eve of the final and Bradley Orr not far in which made a big difference to us. We conceded as we failed to stop a cross coming in from our right (where Orr would have been) although it took a tremendous strike nevertheless. Even then we were denied a Trundle equaliser by the thickness of Michael Turner's thigh. Hull fans I spoke were convinced we'd have won had it gone to Extra time as they were out on their feet. 

• Like 1