IGNORED

Next up Hull City

City oz

33 minutes ago, City oz said:

I will always remember when Ray Cashley our goalie scored a goal. It was against Hull City in 73. I was at Ashton Gate with my dad, and it was a very cold and foggy night match with high winds. Hull had the advantage in the first half and we had the advantage in the second half. Cash got great distance with every kick in the second half as he had the strong wind behind him. He kicked out from the East End of the ground, and I was with my dad behind the goal in the open end. I remember to this day the ball from Rays clearance bouncing just in front of the Hull goalie, the ball bouncing over his head and the ball going in the net. At first there was some silence and then a fantastic roar as like me this was something different and I think no one actually believed what occurred. 

We went on to win that night 3-1 and were either second or third in Division two at that time. Booby Gould and the sticks Ritchie were the other scorers for us that night.

I did not miss a home match at Ashton Gate that season.  I was not yet a teenager that season, and around ten or eleven years old. 73/74 were glorious years, and I will always remember those early years at Ashton Gate in the 70s.

I for one am quite excited for a good and solid home win against Hull next Saturday as we are doing well and NP now seems to have all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in place, however there is still more work to go with the current players he has. 

Next Saturday should a hard fought but a positive win in front of probably 20,000 of you lucky ones attending Ashton Gate.

I should be able to live stream the match against Hull and also the Man City one most probably will be live on "be in sports" in OZ.

Snap I was there and didnt miss a home game back then, followed my team all over the country back then as well, was a bit older though 20ish.

Was a doubter not long ago on NP but fair play to him he has our team playing,fighting and believing now, lets hope it continues.

Still follow every game but from afar, due to poor health/lack of funds/other commitments, great memories from those heady days back in late 60`s early 70`s though; CTID.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember the game, I wasn't allowed to go as it was a school night, and Mum wasn't keen allowing me to cross Town on my own.
Made even worse when I saw the report and realised I'd missed Cash scoring, gutted.
Kept that cutting for ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Cashley#:~:text=Ray Cashley,Cashley Bristol Statistics

• Like 1

5 hours ago, City oz said:

I will always remember when Ray Cashley our goalie scored a goal. It was against Hull City in 73. I was at Ashton Gate with my dad, and it was a very cold and foggy night match with high winds. Hull had the advantage in the first half and we had the advantage in the second half. Cash got great distance with every kick in the second half as he had the strong wind behind him. He kicked out from the East End of the ground, and I was with my dad behind the goal in the open end. I remember to this day the ball from Rays clearance bouncing just in front of the Hull goalie, the ball bouncing over his head and the ball going in the net. At first there was some silence and then a fantastic roar as like me this was something different and I think no one actually believed what occurred. 

We went on to win that night 3-1 and were either second or third in Division two at that time. Booby Gould and the sticks Ritchie were the other scorers for us that night.

I did not miss a home match at Ashton Gate that season.  I was not yet a teenager that season, and around ten or eleven years old. 73/74 were glorious years, and I will always remember those early years at Ashton Gate in the 70s.

I for one am quite excited for a good and solid home win against Hull next Saturday as we are doing well and NP now seems to have all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in place, however there is still more work to go with the current players he has. 

Next Saturday should a hard fought but a positive win in front of probably 20,000 of you lucky ones attending Ashton Gate.

I should be able to live stream the match against Hull and also the Man City one most probably will be live on "be in sports" in OZ.

Snap again. I was there. Brilliant view from front of Dolman.

Yet another tough game , no easier than Sunderland in my eyes apart from Burnley there is very little to choose between the rest of the league . Think we owe them one from start of the season . If I remember correctly rather Preston like in the dark arts of shithousery so another frustrating afternoon I reckon . 

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What are the odds on another 5-5? I`d never seen one before and probably never will again.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

What are the odds on another 5-5? I`d never seen one before and probably never will again.

Spoiler

In the 1930's my Dad stayed with his brother in Bury trying to find work up there. They went to watch Bolton v Chelsea and Dad put it in his  8 Draws on football pools. Result was a 6-6 draw and he never included a match he was going to, on his pools, again.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, redkev said:

Yet another tough game , no easier than Sunderland in my eyes apart from Burnley there is very little to choose between the rest of the league . Think we owe them one from start of the season . If I remember correctly rather Preston like in the dark arts of shithousery so another frustrating afternoon I reckon . 

Yeah, they have the same record as us over the last 10 league games so we can expect a real challenge. I think they'll have seen how Wigan shut us down and try to do the same, but maybe with more belief that they can nick a goal or two. I really wouldn't be surprised if it's another 1-1, but would be chuffed if we beat them.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, City oz said:

I was there and don't remember it being foggy. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen the ball going into the open end net from my standing position in the East End.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Next up Hull City
14 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

I was there and don't remember it being foggy. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen the ball going into the open end net from my standing position in the East End.

Not fog as far as I remember. Just heavy rain all through the match. One bounce about ten yards outside penalty area at Open End and over keepers head. City won 3-1 if memory is right.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Not fog as far as I remember. Just heavy rain all through the match. One bounce about ten yards outside penalty area at Open End and over keepers head. City won 3-1 if memory is right.

Yes it was pouring rain. The season before or after we beat them 2/1 I think. We did a corner routine and Geof Merrick had the ball cleared off the line. From the resulting corner we did it again and Geoff scored. I think Terry Neil was playing for them. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 07:45, City oz said:

I was there, watching from the Dolman stand.

I remember it being a filthy night and,  as you say, a sort of shocked silence before people realised what had happened, whereupon the cheering started.

I also remember another match concerning Ray Cashley, against Fulham if I recall correctly, when he was penalised for taking a drop kick outside of his area.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Real conflicting emotions that day - gutted we`d chucked it away but happy you were there to witness history. I think it was our first ever 5-5, certainly the first I`d seen in fifty years anyway.

I got my brother to come up from Plymouth for his 70th birthday and got him into hospitality, it was the first game he had been too in nearly 20 years. He absolutely loved it and couldn't believe that a few people were booing at the end. 

I have a memory of seeing a reserve fixture in the early 70's that finished 7-6, I am pretty sure it was against Cardiff. Tom Ritchie's brother Steve was playing left back, and I think he was released soon after that game. I remember that the guy came on the tannoy to confirm the score at the end for those of us who might have lost count. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I got my brother to come up from Plymouth for his 70th birthday and got him into hospitality, it was the first game he had been too in nearly 20 years. He absolutely loved it and couldn't believe that a few people were booing at the end. 

I have a memory of seeing a reserve fixture in the early 70's that finished 7-6, I am pretty sure it was against Cardiff. Tom Ritchie's brother Steve was playing left back, and I think he was released soon after that game. I remember that the guy came on the tannoy to confirm the score at the end for those of us who might have lost count. :)

Definitely great years were the 70s at Ashton Gate. Great players with Sweeney, Gow, Drysdale, Rodgers, Tainton, Gillies, Mann, Whitehead, Fear, Cheesley, Garland, then came my hero, Hunter. just to name a few. Then 76/77 and it was the 1st division and away to the Gunners in front over 40,000. We then had Stoke, Newcastle, Sunderland and the season started off well as we were undefeated in the first four matches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Working at Bristol uni at the time, I took a French student and a Spanish student along.  They couldn't believe what was happening in front of them! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

18 year old me was in the East End right behind Cash as he launched it skyward. Goal scoring keepers are still a rarity but in those days it was as unheard of as the internet or OTIB, although I vaguely remember hearing a young guy mutter to his mate, as I walked through the car park after the match “mark my words, there’s a 13 year old boy in Wigan who’ll one day become our greatest ever manager …”

• Hmmm 1

Watched it from the EE.

Mundane match on a horrible wet and windy evening made memorable by Cashley's extraordinary goal.

Heck of a rendition of his chant after the ensuing hubbub died down, 'RAAAAAAAAAAAY CASHLEY, RAAAAAAAAAAAY CASHLEY........'

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

18 year old me was in the East End right behind Cash as he launched it skyward. Goal scoring keepers are still a rarity but in those days it was as unheard of as the internet or OTIB, although I vaguely remember hearing a young guy mutter to his mate, as I walked through the car park after the match “mark my words, there’s a 13 year old boy in Wigan who’ll one day become our greatest ever manager …”

Alan Dicks was 13 in 1973? Nah. ;)

You've lost me Rudi

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

So that’s why their stadium is the DW Stadium then ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Funny I remember it the complete opposite way round with ray being up my end (open) and scoring at the East end.

• Sad 1

I remember the Cashley goal.  We usually stood on the Open End but on that occasion the awful weather persuaded us to move to the East End (was this in the days when you were allowed to switch ends at half time - I can’t remember).  Stood immediately behind Cashley’s goal about half way up the terrace and we knew that we had seen something that we would probably never see again.

Edited by Redland Red

1 hour ago, Redland Red said:

I remember the Cashley goal.  We usually stood on the Open End but on that occasion the awful weather persuaded us to move to the East End (was this in the days when you were allowed to switch ends at half time - I can’t remember).  Stood immediately behind Cashley’s goal about half way up the terrace and we knew that we had seen something that we would probably never see again.

No, that handy option disappeared with the erection of the Dolman stand. What a shame.

1 hour ago, Redland Red said:

So the ball went in at the East end? as that's how I remember it, there seems to be a bit of doubt I certainly seem to recall him kicking from the open end towards the East end where it went in.

Edited by pillred