IGNORED

Next up Hull City

City oz

On 19/02/2023 at 06:45, City oz said:

I will always remember when Ray Cashley our goalie scored a goal. It was against Hull City in 73. I was at Ashton Gate with my dad, and it was a very cold and foggy night match with high winds. Hull had the advantage in the first half and we had the advantage in the second half. Cash got great distance with every kick in the second half as he had the strong wind behind him. He kicked out from the East End of the ground, and I was with my dad behind the goal in the open end. I remember to this day the ball from Rays clearance bouncing just in front of the Hull goalie, the ball bouncing over his head and the ball going in the net. At first there was some silence and then a fantastic roar as like me this was something different and I think no one actually believed what occurred. 

We went on to win that night 3-1 and were either second or third in Division two at that time. Booby Gould and the sticks Ritchie were the other scorers for us that night.

I did not miss a home match at Ashton Gate that season.  I was not yet a teenager that season, and around ten or eleven years old. 73/74 were glorious years, and I will always remember those early years at Ashton Gate in the 70s.

I for one am quite excited for a good and solid home win against Hull next Saturday as we are doing well and NP now seems to have all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in place, however there is still more work to go with the current players he has. 

Next Saturday should a hard fought but a positive win in front of probably 20,000 of you lucky ones attending Ashton Gate.

I should be able to live stream the match against Hull and also the Man City one most probably will be live on "be in sports" in OZ.

Every time Cashley got the ball after the goal, the East End shouted “Shoot” ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

So the ball went in at the East end? as that's how I remember it, there seems to be a bit of doubt I certainly seem to recall him kicking from the open end towards the East end where it went in.

As above was usually in open end but wet boggy night  so went with my grandad in East end goal was scored in open end .

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

So the ball went in at the East end? as that's how I remember it, there seems to be a bit of doubt I certainly seem to recall him kicking from the open end towards the East end where it went in.

No, no, no. Cash was in goal at the Covered, East End and the goalmouth that Hull were defending was the Open or Park end.

Oh, the Hull keeper was Jeff Wealands.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Thanks 2

On 19/02/2023 at 06:45, City oz said:

I will always remember when Ray Cashley our goalie scored a goal. It was against Hull City in 73. I was at Ashton Gate with my dad, and it was a very cold and foggy night match with high winds. Hull had the advantage in the first half and we had the advantage in the second half. Cash got great distance with every kick in the second half as he had the strong wind behind him. He kicked out from the East End of the ground, and I was with my dad behind the goal in the open end. I remember to this day the ball from Rays clearance bouncing just in front of the Hull goalie, the ball bouncing over his head and the ball going in the net. At first there was some silence and then a fantastic roar as like me this was something different and I think no one actually believed what occurred. 

We went on to win that night 3-1 and were either second or third in Division two at that time. Booby Gould and the sticks Ritchie were the other scorers for us that night.

I did not miss a home match at Ashton Gate that season.  I was not yet a teenager that season, and around ten or eleven years old. 73/74 were glorious years, and I will always remember those early years at Ashton Gate in the 70s.

I for one am quite excited for a good and solid home win against Hull next Saturday as we are doing well and NP now seems to have all the jigsaw puzzle pieces in place, however there is still more work to go with the current players he has. 

Next Saturday should a hard fought but a positive win in front of probably 20,000 of you lucky ones attending Ashton Gate.

I should be able to live stream the match against Hull and also the Man City one most probably will be live on "be in sports" in OZ.

Remember another cracking game against Hull.

2 or 3 years earlier a 3/3 draw. they had Chris Chilton and Ken Wagstaff up front that day both top players.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

No, no, no. Cash was in goal at the Covered, East End and the goalmouth that Hull were defending was the Open or Park end.

Oh, the Hull keeper was Jeff Wealands.

You are quite right, I can still picture it now.

Conversely, Cashley’s drop kick free kick against Fulham for stepping outside the area was at The Open End.

I really can’t remember whether Fulham scored from the free kick, but I am pretty sure they did and, moreover, that this was the match they won 5-0.

Do you recall the incident and match?

25 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

You are quite right, I can still picture it now.

Conversely, Cashley’s drop kick free kick against Fulham for stepping outside the area was at The Open End.

I really can’t remember whether Fulham scored from the free kick, but I am pretty sure they did and, moreover, that this was the match they won 5-0.

Do you recall the incident and match?

I remember the match and that we got walloped. But no recollection of Cash incident. The kicking of clearances by goalkeepers from outside the box. Unlike today when keepers clearances are sometimes a couple of yards outside!

• Thanks 1

Play off final 2008…. Still leaves me with a knot in my stomach every time they’re mentioned.. Hope we batter them.

Whilst I was also there as a young un to see Cashley score, the play off final for me is the one that stands out the most in memory.

COYR’s