IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

Great night last night at Taunton. Years from now when people look through the record books, Gregory's innings won't stand out but it was perfectly timed and beautifully executed. He's such an under rated cricketer.

Green was an excellent foil and just the ticket after the top four (arguably the best top four in the competition) were out for 50-odd. Two brilliant catches in the field (Henry and Overton) and some decent bowling (Henry and Overton again!) sealed the win - I'd agree with the poster that said this is Somerset's best ever T20 squad. Don't always get it right but when TB, WS, TKC and TA "failed" last night, the other lads stood up and brought us through.

Let's go and win the thing now. 

1F40A5E8-BCED-4B81-B211-C4C523ED0D41.jpeg

Edited by Hamdon Mart
  • Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

It’s usually at Edgbaston.  Lords too stuffy. 

Finals day sells out before anyone knows who is playing there. I don’t imagine the FA cup final would sell out in January. 

Lots of tickets still available this morning 

• Thanks 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

See my post above, I'd been watching your Twitter post re the ticket, when I found out I was going to be home in time I went onto Twitter to message you and the bloke had literally posted 2mins before I logged back on?

Ahh that's a shame, would have been great to catch up with you again 

The annoying thing, around me there must have been at least 20/30 empty seats 

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I still think we will regret beating Kent and letting Essex qualify - it will come back to bite us.

At finals day anything can happen, i haven't got stats to back it up but it feels like often the favourites don't  win.

However, the 2 times we've played Essex its felt like they shouldn't be in the same league as us we've been so dominant.

I just hope we get past Surrey to get the chance 

Edited by ralphindevon
  • Like 1

• Admin
6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Odd. Didn’t even bother checking as every other year I’ve checked it’s been sold out.  Guess cost of living is hitting people, understandably 

I agree I haven't known them to be availble this close to finals day before 

Tickets are £95 or £115, as much as I want to go I can't really justify paying that, as well as travel, food and drink 

Last year even though it sold out tickets kept appearing on the Edgbaston website right up until the day. 

I got great tickets right at the top of the pavilion, one plus side to Birmingham not qualifying.

I must say despite the result i thoroughly enjoyed the day and thought it a far better venue to Cardiff where they'd previously been. Would recommend. 

Is anyone from here going next week? I managed to pick up tickets for me and my son this morning in the Raglan Stand for £125 which whilst expensive isn't too bad for a whole day.

It looks like there are engineering works on the railway and the journey time is longer than the bus which is a bit of a pain in the arse. The search for a cheap hotel will start this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Kings Norton Red said:

Is anyone from here going next week? I managed to pick up tickets for me and my son this morning in the Raglan Stand for £125 which whilst expensive isn't too bad for a whole day.

It looks like there are engineering works on the railway and the journey time is longer than the bus which is a bit of a pain in the arse. The search for a cheap hotel will start this afternoon.

I hope to be there again but I somehow managed to agree to visiting friends in Northern France that weekend so I'm now in negotiations......... soon to be divorce negotiations the way things are going. 

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

At finals day anything can happen, i haven't got stats to back it up but it feels like often the favourites don't  win.

However, the 2 times we've played Essex its felt like they shouldn't be in the same league as us we've been so dominant.

I just hope we get past Surrey to get the chance 

T20 is really not my thing but ecstatic that Somerset got to the finals again. Love to see them win it but most probably will get to the final only to be beaten by Hants again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

T20 is really not my thing but ecstatic that Somerset got to the finals again. Love to see them win it but most probably will get to the final only to be beaten by Hants again. 

It was disappointing last year because we never turned up. It was like City v Brighton all those years ago.

Hopefully we got our `meh` performance out of the way last night.

• Admin
43 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Somerset allocation now sold out - just had the email

Allocations are so small 

36 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Since we`re second up what are the chances of Hampshire or Essex fans leaving after their game and willing to sell their day tickets on the way out? No idea how these things work as I`ve never been.

Yeah it happens 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Kings Norton Red said:

My son and I are, in the family stand, we're going up Friday and back Sunday

• Like 1

Back to 4 day cricket tomorrow and Somerset are taking the T20 very seriously and have rested a few players, notably Overton, Gregory TKC and Henry.

The forecast doesn’t look good, I’m due to go on Wednesday so that’ll probably be the worst day.

The starting XI will be named from the following squad: Tom Abell, Sean Dickson, Tom Lammonby, George Bartlett, Andy Umeed, James Rew, Ben Green, Lewis Goldsworthy, Kasey Aldridge, Shoaib Bashir, Jack Brooks and Alfie Ogborne

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Back to 4 day cricket tomorrow and Somerset are taking the T20 very seriously and have rested a few players, notably Overton, Gregory TKC and Henry.

The forecast doesn’t look good, I’m due to go on Wednesday so that’ll probably be the worst day.

The starting XI will be named from the following squad: Tom Abell, Sean Dickson, Tom Lammonby, George Bartlett, Andy Umeed, James Rew, Ben Green, Lewis Goldsworthy, Kasey Aldridge, Shoaib Bashir, Jack Brooks and Alfie Ogborne

Rumour had it Will Smeed was going to play for his club, Bridgwater CC, in their T20 game vs Lansdown CC today but it appears he didn't.

https://bridgwater.play-cricket.com/website/results/6011900

Edited by northsomersetred
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TomF said:

Good short term signing.  I wonder with Jack centrally contracted if we might see him back permanently next year.  It’s not quite worked out for him at yorks 

That's what I was wondering loan as a pre-cursor to a return permanently, Bashir/Goldsworthy then taking the understudy roles to him in 4 day and VdM (signed on for another year?) in T20 and 50 over they are the attack.

• Admin
38 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That's what I was wondering loan as a pre-cursor to a return permanently, Bashir/Goldsworthy then taking the understudy roles to him in 4 day and VdM (signed on for another year?) in T20 and 50 over they are the attack.

I don't see that happening personally, he's only here now as we're resting so many for Saturday 

55 minutes ago, Midred said:

Can we recruit Abbott for next season, at least he wouldn't be taking all our wickets like he normally does!

Even the damned run out was Abbott, which I haven’t seen yet but to lose our in form batter after 2 balls like that was hugely disappointing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

James Rew is the real deal isn`t he? An England call up in a  year or two perhaps?

Yes without a doubt. We’ll soon be losing him regularly to England Lions and the like then as you say a full cap, probably on one of the less attractive tours to start with, will soon follow.

• Like 2