IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

That's it at Taunton for another year, pretty typical of our luck we get to play one of the worse sides when it rains for 2 days.

At least we extend our time in the top division into another year, a stay that's been longer than any other county. 

Since I don`t look at Div 2 that often I hadn`t realised how awful Yorkshire have been this season.

Still, never mind.

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Since I don`t look at Div 2 that often I hadn`t realised how awful Yorkshire have been this season.

Still, never mind.

Yes, they did get a hefty points deduction for their racist past which would have seen them a few places higher but as you say, never mind.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Super said:

Glos finishing in style. Another miserable season for them.

Not my team but they’re awful, aren’t they?

Worst side in the country at the 4 day game, even worse than perpetual strugglers Leicestershire, Derbyshire & Glamorgan.

• Flames 1

Cracking finish at Notts which sees Middlesex relegated and Somerset drop to 7th.

County cricket is just not the same now and I guess it’ll never be. With only 2 premier trophies to play for and one minor one, compared to 4 back in the day, makes it less interesting for a lot of counties that can’t compete in the 2 that are left.

I had always planned to get life membership when I reached 50 but I never bothered as there’s nowhere near the same cricket on offer nowadays and a very uncertain future.

Anyway, on the bright side we did win one of those trophies and continue next year as the county that’s spent the longest consecutive years in the top division.

Roll on next summer………or freezing cold spring probably.

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Cracking finish at Notts which sees Middlesex relegated and Somerset drop to 7th.

County cricket is just not the same now and I guess it’ll never be. With only 2 premier trophies to play for and one minor one, compared to 4 back in the day, makes it less interesting for a lot of counties that can’t compete in the 2 that are left.

I had always planned to get life membership when I reached 50 but I never bothered as there’s nowhere near the same cricket on offer nowadays and a very uncertain future.

Anyway, on the bright side we did win one of those trophies and continue next year as the county that’s spent the longest consecutive years in the top division.

And Glos finish bottom without a win...........****** disgraceful, but I'm pleased they did, it might wake up some of those shit useless ***** in the management side to do something !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

As a Somerset man I still think there’s plenty to be proud of.

One of very few non Test counties to consistently play top level cricket.

Shafted by the ECB over The Hundred to give those useless Welsh jokers over the bridge even more money but still the best side of these 3 by a country mile.

A production line of local talent that is even better than City, Buttler, Overton x 2, Leach, Rew, Gregory, Abell, Smeed, Banton, Lammonby, Green, Bess, Aldridge, Goldsworthy & there’s plenty more to come.

The true home of cricket is the South West.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As a Somerset man I still think there’s plenty to be proud of.

One of very few non Test counties to consistently play top level cricket.

Shafted by the ECB over The Hundred to give those useless Welsh jokers over the bridge even more money but still the best side of these 3 by a country mile.

A production line of local talent that is even better than City, Buttler, Overton x 2, Leach, Rew, Gregory, Abell, Smeed, Banton, Lammonby, Green, Bess, Aldridge, Goldsworthy & there’s plenty more to come.

The true home of cricket is the South West.

Oh I couldn’t be more proud of what we’ve achieved at Somerset over the years.

When I first started going as a kid in the mid 70s we were a bottom 3 County with no money. Now, as you say, we’re up there with the big boys every season.

The players that have come out of Devon and Somerset is a matter of real pride, when you think nearly every other area of the country is near a big test county.

All that and we’re continually being undermined by the ECB and then called moaners because we’ve lost so much of our summer.

My pet hate in the arguments is when someone says “how can you hate the 100, my son loves going to the Oval / Old Trafford etc.” They have no answer when you point out there’s nowhere in the school holidays to take our children except maybe 4 days at Taunton where we have to explain to our children that none of the well known players will be playing.

We are a great county but the schedule on offer every summer now just isn’t good enough and that is a great, great shame. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2