IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

51 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

The players that aren’t centrally contracted could decide they don’t want to play in it, but frankly for the money on offer for three weeks work that is extremely unlikely. With every game being on TV that also helps give them exposure for future earning opportunities/England selection. For example, if Ben Green continues his form from The Blast into the The Hundred he would likely make himself an attractive signing for the various franchise leagues around the world this winter. 

As far as I’m aware Jamie Smith from Surrey has been the only player to actively turn it down it the first season of this farce as he thought he was unlikely to play and decided it would be much better for his development to play in the One Day Cup for Surrey.

As Northern Red says, the players not getting picked in the hundred this season are supposedly available to go back and play a game for their county, but let’s just say I’m rather cynical as to how much that will actually happen. Technically, after not playing last night, Lammonby, if not selected for his franchise on Saturday, should be available for Somerset on Sunday. However, is he really going to drive from Manchester to Taunton on Saturday night to play one 50 over game (of what for Somerset is a second eleven tournament) to then drive back up to Manchester in time for his franchise’s next game on Monday?

Yes it’ll be interesting how it works out with the non playing 100 players and how many get to return to their counties.

For instance, If I recall correctly Lammonby didn’t play until quite late in the competition last year, so presumably they knew days in advance he wouldn’t be playing so could have released him. He did quite well in the end so I’m not suggesting him but there will be some not in the initial plans. 

Every year I think I’ll enjoy watching what’s left of the Somerset team in the 50 over competition, new faces, youngsters getting a chance.

Then every year it just depresses me when I think what we’re missing. In my youth in the late 70s I was watching goodness how many games during the summer holidays at Taunton and W-S-M.

Not only a lot of cricket but the best players in the world playing for and against us.

I know those days are long gone never to return but what we’ve got now is a right mess.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Why did we not start until 2 when everyone else started at 11?

With the floodlights, that dominate the skyline and don’t retract, being controversial in Taunton, Somerset have to at least use them a couple of times or people will be questioning there point.

With the Blast being in June we rarely got to the stage where lights were needed.

Its a shame, I’d have gone today if it was a normal start but I’m not sitting about in the evening in this crap weather. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

With the floodlights, that dominate the skyline and don’t retract, being controversial in Taunton, Somerset have to at least use them a couple of times or people will be questioning there point.

With the Blast being in June we rarely got to the stage where lights were needed.

Its a shame, I’d have gone today if it was a normal start but I’m not sitting about in the evening in this crap weather. 

You going up on Sunday v Worcs?

19 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

You going up on Sunday v Worcs?

I don’t think I’ll be able to get there Sunday, if I do it’ll be later on. But will be there next Friday.

By then we’ll be out of the competition, last year our only win was v Warwickshire who have just comfortably beaten us. This time of year I feel like a Gloucestershire fan. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I don’t think I’ll be able to get there Sunday, if I do it’ll be later on. But will be there next Friday.

By then we’ll be out of the competition, last year our only win was v Warwickshire who have just comfortably beaten us. This time of year I feel like a Gloucestershire fan. 

What, a WINNER, you mean ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Every year I think I’ll enjoy watching what’s left of the Somerset team in the 50 over competition, new faces, youngsters getting a chance.

Then every year it just depresses me when I think what we’re missing. In my youth in the late 70s I was watching goodness how many games during the summer holidays at Taunton and W-S-M.

Not only a lot of cricket but the best players in the world playing for and against us.

I know those days are long gone never to return but what we’ve got now is a right mess.

Yes, Proccy, Zed, Sadiq and a bit later Courtney .

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, Proccy, Zed, Sadiq and a bit later Courtney .

Indeed, every county seemed to have at least one world class player back then.

As well as are own players as a kid I’d absolutely love seeing the likes of Malcolm Marshall, Richard Hadlee, Michael Holding, Proctor, Clive Lloyd, Imran Khan. The list goes on and on. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Has to be said, Pritvhi Shaw against Somerset seconds was always likely to end up with this outcome.

True, as far as temporary signings go he’s in a different league to Curtis Campher that’s for sure.

But there, I don’t think we were in much danger of winning this competition and a great signing for Northamptonshire who’ve only lost a couples of players.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

True, as far as temporary signings go he’s in a different league to Curtis Campher that’s for sure.

But there, I don’t think we were in much danger of winning this competition and a great signing for Northamptonshire who’ve only lost a couples of players.

Ironically the poorer squads probably benefit more in this tournament for not losing so many players

Assume that is why Gastershire were flirting around the top end of the table for a while ?  ?