IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

Having rewatched most of finals day now a few things struck me.

Firstly, over the years we’ve been lucky enough to have some real T20 world superstars play for us, Buttler, Keiswetter, Pollard, Babar, Gayle…..and won nothing. This team has no huge superstars but as a team have worked together just brilliantly. Maybe a lesson going forward when we get our cheque book out to sign someone.

Secondly and probably most importantly is the balance of that team was absolutely spot on. We were, as we often are, a great batting team with two very bright sparks at the top with plenty, often to eleven, of big hitting quality to follow.

But unlike other years we got to the finals day, the weather wasn’t great, the pitch was very different to most of what we experienced in the group stages and batsmen would find it difficult but it didn’t matter because our bowlers were brilliant. Again without any huge stars, they all contributed.

And finally our fielding over the whole tournament was an example for any cricket team in the world, club, county or international to follow, absolutely brilliant with no weak links.

If the T20 Blast were a league and we could keep that team, we’d be champions for years to come.

• Like 2

Anybody on here clued up on the Somerset 2nds?

In the current game v Hants I see Ben Green got a ton, unlucky not to have played in the first team this season I think. Also the forgotten man Lewis Goldsworthy got 95.

But what I want to know is who is the H Passenger who got 4 wickets, when Ogborne and Leonard got none?

And I don’t remember seeing Michael Vaughan’s boy Archie playing any second 11 this season, anyone know how he’s doing? 

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

In the current game v Hants I see Ben Green got a ton, unlucky not to have played in the first team this season I think. Also the forgotten man Lewis Goldsworthy got 95.

But what I want to know is who is the H Passenger who got 4 wickets, when Ogborne and Leonard got none?

And I don’t remember seeing Michael Vaughan’s boy Archie playing any second 11 this season, anyone know how he’s doing? 

I'll ask their scorer tomorrow!

• Thanks 1

On 19/07/2023 at 17:24, ralphindevon said:

Harry Passenger, just left Kings in Taunton, all rounder who bowls spin.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Harry Passenger, just left Kings in Taunton, all rounder who bowls spin.

Cheers for that. Ah spin, that’s why he was so successful when the more experienced seamers were wicket less.

One to watch out for, must be young as he’s batting 11 as an all rounder. Wicket less in the second innings as are the seamers but 3 for Goldsworthy 

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Cheers for that. Ah spin, that’s why he was so successful when the more experienced seamers were wicket less.

One to watch out for, must be young as he’s batting 11 as an all rounder. Wicket less in the second innings as are the seamers but 3 for Goldsworthy 

Ollie Heard is another one in that team at the moment, very capable bowler when he gets his radar on, hopefully that'll come soon. I've been in games where he's bowled 10+ ball overs!!

• Like 1

Forecast set fair and a 2 and a bit day win looks on the cards.

Which brings us to that time of year where we wonder what might have been if Somerset could start a season properly.

If we’d got over the line v Hants we’d be right up there despite our bad start.

Is there a better opening attack than Henry and Overton?

Which makes the no wins in the first 5 games hard to take, though I think Overton was having his workload managed more then and he wasn’t quite himself.

A couple of wins back then and next weeks game v Surrey would have been a near title décider

41 minutes ago, Dogbert said:

Is it just me that wouldn't send Lammonby out to open now? He is so out of form that the risk of him getting out early again wouldn't help.

Personally I'd send out Rew to see how he handles a new ball.

To be fair to Lammonby he shouldn’t have been given out in the first innings and must have been chomping at the bit to get back out there.

It doesn’t do one’s confidence any good to be moved down the order when chasing 50

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

To be fair to Lammonby he shouldn’t have been given out in the first innings and must have been chomping at the bit to get back out there.

It doesn’t do one’s confidence any good to be moved down the order when chasing 50

I had forgotten about his first innings dismissal. Either way you are absolutely right, would have been worse to drop him down. Thankfully he came out and did the job.

• Like 1

• Admin
4 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Blackbird! And it’s been a pretty good few weeks of cricket for Somerset.

That should ensure 1st division cricket for yet another record breaking year.

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

Wish we'd have got over line against Hants as we'd be right in the mix with Surrey at Taunton next week.. 

I think that we still are, plenty of games to turn this season on its head yet

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think that we still are, plenty of games to turn this season on its head yet

I’d agree with you if we played each team twice but in fact there’s only 4 games left.

Yes, still possible and I’ll be the first back to like your post if it happens and the cider’s will be on me.

• Like 1

• Admin
3 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’d agree with you if we played each team twice but in fact there’s only 4 games left.

Yes, still possible and I’ll be the first back to like your post if it happens and the cider’s will be on me.

I didn't realise that was the case. 

Perhaps not then 

On 19/07/2023 at 17:24, ralphindevon said:

Never mind about Archie, his dad is playing for Claverham CC today?