IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

• Admin
56 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why are Somerset and Sussex playing twice against National County sides when every other First Class County plays just one game. 

Horsham. Somerset have been creamed by Sussex there in the past. 

Purely down to how the fixtures worked out 

On 31/07/2023 at 15:45, phantom said:

Interesting debate on the BBC

image.png

image.png

One day comp should be interesting, as Cook says himself Rew has come in at situations he's had to steady the boat and Somerset don't have the all out approach of England, more freedom and perhaps he would.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why are Somerset and Sussex playing twice against National County sides when every other First Class County plays just one game. 

Horsham. Somerset have been creamed by Sussex there in the past. 

Because there are 20 National Counties and 18 First Class, so 2 need to play twice to ensure all of the National Counties get a game.

• Like 1

On 31/07/2023 at 15:45, phantom said:

Interesting debate on the BBC

image.png

image.png

I think Cook’s last sentence is correct, he’s got more shots than people realise. I think he’s been managed brilliantly by Somerset so far, just concentrating on red ball and getting the basics right. The fancy stuff can and will follow.

I’ve seen plenty of unorthodox shots from him and he’s rarely a slow batter. He’s no Tom Banton but he will certainly have enough shots to get into the Bazball test team because he’s such a classy batsman. 

Ok, it’s raining and there’s nothing on tv and I’m going to admit I’ve watched a tiny bit of the Hundred. You can’t criticise if you don’t try it and I wanted to check in on the 3 Somerset players.

I lasted about 5 minutes on BBC as the commentators/ presenters were just dreadful. Apart from Moeen Ali who was singing Lewis Gregory’s praises as a captain.

Thought if I am going to watch another 5 minutes it’ll be on Sky. They were also praising Gregory and his captaining skills in short form cricket, he’s bowling pretty well too, though it’s hard to understand (the opposite of the reason for the Hundred) because there’s no overs.

Anyway, Gregory for England T20 captain!? 

38 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Ok, it’s raining and there’s nothing on tv and I’m going to admit I’ve watched a tiny bit of the Hundred. You can’t criticise if you don’t try it and I wanted to check in on the 3 Somerset players.

I lasted about 5 minutes on BBC as the commentators/ presenters were just dreadful. Apart from Moeen Ali who was singing Lewis Gregory’s praises as a captain.

Thought if I am going to watch another 5 minutes it’ll be on Sky. They were also praising Gregory and his captaining skills in short form cricket, he’s bowling pretty well too, though it’s hard to understand (the opposite of the reason for the Hundred) because there’s no overs.

From what I've seen of it previously, if you're a seasoned cricket fan who knows what's going on it's best sticking with Sky if you have the option as it's more like what you'd be used to.

The BBC are clearly aiming more at a younger audience and people who might be new to the game and not as knowledgable, so there's a lot more explaining and not as much focus on the intricacies of the sport. Which, to be fair, is part of their remit as a Public Service Broadcaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

So this crap travesty is OK as long as they suck up to your players, yeah ?

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

So this crap travesty is OK as long as they suck up to your players, yeah ?

En? Exactly the opposite. It’s a travesty because they’re taking all our players.

The whole thing is a great big money losing shit show. The sooner they change things, hopefully next year, the better. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I really hope you're right...............do we know they're losing money ?they have to give away tickets in most grounds to make it full.

Yes, in the first 2 years they’ve made, what most describe as a generous to the ECB estimate of a £9m loss. They have to give tickets away at most grounds to fill them.

They thought they’d make money by selling the concept to other countries, they should’ve patented the T20 format all those years ago, well as much as you could patent something like that, anyway they didn’t and not surprisingly no other country is interested in buying the 100 rights from them.

They can’t just pull the plug as Sky have paid for rights to show it for a few more years, this money goes mainly to the counties which is obviously much needed. Most counties voted for this but many now regret it and say they hadn’t realised what they were voting for.

So our only hope is they drop the 100 nonsense format and somehow combine it with the Blast, there’ll still have to be a franchise element to this I think but it won’t just be the big test ground cities involved.

There’s pretty much zero chance of going back to what we used to have so we’ll just have to make the most of what changes they hopefully make next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Somerset currently at 15 players unavailable, only 10 fit contracted players, and the tournament hasn’t even started yet.

The ECB should be ashamed, it’s an absolute disgrace.

Still, looking forward to the game tomorrow.. 

Do the players have any say about what they do? Could Will Smeed for instance say they don`t want to play in it or do the ECB tell them they have to?

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Do the players have any say about what they do? Could Will Smeed for instance say they don`t want to play in it or do the ECB tell them they have to?

I think the players can decide whether to enter the auction or not, although I'm not sure many would turn it down.

They've relaxed the rules this year so that players who are picked in squads but don't play can be released to play for their counties where possible.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The players that aren’t centrally contracted could decide they don’t want to play in it, but frankly for the money on offer for three weeks work that is extremely unlikely. With every game being on TV that also helps give them exposure for future earning opportunities/England selection. For example, if Ben Green continues his form from The Blast into the The Hundred he would likely make himself an attractive signing for the various franchise leagues around the world this winter. 

As far as I’m aware Jamie Smith from Surrey has been the only player to actively turn it down it the first season of this farce as he thought he was unlikely to play and decided it would be much better for his development to play in the One Day Cup for Surrey.

As Northern Red says, the players not getting picked in the hundred this season are supposedly available to go back and play a game for their county, but let’s just say I’m rather cynical as to how much that will actually happen. Technically, after not playing last night, Lammonby, if not selected for his franchise on Saturday, should be available for Somerset on Sunday. However, is he really going to drive from Manchester to Taunton on Saturday night to play one 50 over game (of what for Somerset is a second eleven tournament) to then drive back up to Manchester in time for his franchise’s next game on Monday?

• Like 2