IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

On 31/08/2023 at 22:45, ralphindevon said:

The odd thing is I don’t think we know for certain when the rest of the tournament takes place.

I presume a very similar time to this year, maybe a tad later. Which will mean a long break from the quarter finals to finals day so you lose all momentum for players and fans.

I think a Taunton based team might get dragged into the 100 next year too. If it does I wonder where we’ll play our 50 over games now we don’t have any out grounds 

"The County Championship is set to be shunted to the margins of the summer in 2024 with English cricket building its calendar around June’s T20 World Cup.

In recent seasons, an effort has been made to play more red-ball cricket in the prime summer months, July especially, when the weather and pitches should be at their best. This season, there were two Championship rounds in June and three in July.

In 2024, it is understood that in provisional schedules, there is no red-ball action between the first couple of days of July and the final week of August. The competition will be almost exclusively played in April, May and September.

The season’s structure will be approximately as follows:

April and May: two months of County Championship

June: first bank of Blast action, followed by two rounds of Championship

July: completion of Blast groups, followed by the start of Hundred and One-Day Cup

August: Hundred runs until August 18. ODC runs alongside. One round of Championship at end of month

September: Blast knockouts; ODC final; completion of Championship

The Vitality Blast is the competition worst-affected by the World Cup, which takes place in the Caribbean and USA between June 4 and 30. The Blast will largely be played in two blocks, one in June and one in July (with two rounds of Championship between), before concluding with quarter-finals and Finals Day in September. The competition faces a challenge to attract overseas talent because of the World Cup, and the gap between the groups and the knockouts. As revealed by Telegraph Sport earlier this week, county chiefs are looking at ways they can freshen up the competition’s group stages.

The quantity of cricket played by counties – 14 Championship matches, 14 Blast group games, and eight One-Day Cup group games – is set to stay the same in 2024."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/09/01/county-championship-will-be-shunted-to-margins-of-summer/

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

"The County Championship is set to be shunted to the margins of the summer in 2024 with English cricket building its calendar around June’s T20 World Cup.

In recent seasons, an effort has been made to play more red-ball cricket in the prime summer months, July especially, when the weather and pitches should be at their best. This season, there were two Championship rounds in June and three in July.

In 2024, it is understood that in provisional schedules, there is no red-ball action between the first couple of days of July and the final week of August. The competition will be almost exclusively played in April, May and September.

The season’s structure will be approximately as follows:

April and May: two months of County Championship

June: first bank of Blast action, followed by two rounds of Championship

July: completion of Blast groups, followed by the start of Hundred and One-Day Cup

August: Hundred runs until August 18. ODC runs alongside. One round of Championship at end of month

September: Blast knockouts; ODC final; completion of Championship

The Vitality Blast is the competition worst-affected by the World Cup, which takes place in the Caribbean and USA between June 4 and 30. The Blast will largely be played in two blocks, one in June and one in July (with two rounds of Championship between), before concluding with quarter-finals and Finals Day in September. The competition faces a challenge to attract overseas talent because of the World Cup, and the gap between the groups and the knockouts. As revealed by Telegraph Sport earlier this week, county chiefs are looking at ways they can freshen up the competition’s group stages.

The quantity of cricket played by counties – 14 Championship matches, 14 Blast group games, and eight One-Day Cup group games – is set to stay the same in 2024."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2023/09/01/county-championship-will-be-shunted-to-margins-of-summer/

Another mish mash of a summer then.

It all used to be so easy in the old days…………I know that makes me sound like an old git 

• Like 1

Back to the red ball at last tomorrow but Somerset’s bowling attack is without Davey, Baker, Aldridge, Leach and most worryingly CriagO.

Whats left doesn’t look capaof taking 20 cheapish wickets but we’ll see.

Craig getting injured in the 100 has really annoyed me. I’m not sure just bowling the occasional 4 overs on a cold night is good for the body. 

On 03/09/2023 at 17:23, ralphindevon said:

Well with about an hour to go Somerset’s mainly second string attack has toiled away and done a pretty good job.

They do seem to be tiring a bit now, in fact every time I tune in we’re not very good so I have to turn over and watch England or the football.

Sadly let down by the batsmen

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Sadly let down by the batsmen

I was fearing the worse, it just felt one of those occasions made for a bad batting performance and bad it was, along with some very good bowling.

We often rally in our second innings but this match will take some saving, especially with the forecast set fair

On 04/09/2023 at 18:59, ralphindevon said:

I was fearing the worse, it just felt one of those occasions made for a bad batting performance and bad it was, along with some very good bowling.

We often rally in our second innings but this match will take some saving, especially with the forecast set fair

It felt like the script in this game was written from the moment Hants won the toss and batted.

You could see a poor batting performance from us coming up with us rallying to a decent fourth innings total in the 4th innings of the match.

And also as predicted, although they did fairly well in the first innings, our second string bowling line up were never going to take 20 wickets in the match.

2 weeks now until our next and final home game, hopefully we’ll have Overton, Davey, Aldridge and maybe Leach back for that and finish our home campaign on a high.

• Admin
2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

It felt like the script in this game was written from the moment Hants won the toss and batted.

You could see a poor batting performance from us coming up with us rallying to a decent fourth innings total in the 4th innings of the match.

And also as predicted, although they did fairly well in the first innings, our second string bowling line up were never going to take 20 wickets in the match.

2 weeks now until our next and final home game, hopefully we’ll have Overton, Davey, Aldridge and maybe Leach back for that and finish our home campaign on a high.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Good news. And as long as England don’t send him back injured, no guarantee, he’ll be available for our next game

It's at the same time 

I don't understand why we have one squad playing a series against New Zealand then the following week a different squad playing Ireland in another series 

17 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's at the same time 

I don't understand why we have one squad playing a series against New Zealand then the following week a different squad playing Ireland in another series 

Oh bugger, I didn’t read it properly I thought it was a late call up for the NZ games.

Oh well at least we’re just about safe from relegation. A season that never got going really except in the T20 where we were unbelievably good and a much deserved trophy. 

46 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

"Hampshire have been deducted three points in the County Championship for preparing a "below average" pitch for their match against Essex in July.

A further 20-point penalty has been suspended until the end of next season, with the club also fined £5,000."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/66764629.amp

Always bloody Essex who complain and get the decision in their favour.

@TomF?

• Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 09:30, Northern Red said:

"Hampshire have been deducted three points in the County Championship for preparing a "below average" pitch for their match against Essex in July.

A further 20-point penalty has been suspended until the end of next season, with the club also fined £5,000."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/66764629.amp

Just gone and had a quick look at the live stream for the game, some turn on day 1 but not excessive and pitch a little patchy and day 3 it still seemed to behave, I've seen Chelmsford a lot worse and nothing said.

59 minutes ago, Midred said:

Does no one complain about them or do they have an annual immunity from prosecution card?

They had one last season against Lancs where 26 wickets fell on the first day and the game was over midway through day 2.

They didn't get any punishment for that, though they did lose the game so maybe it was thought that they'd suffered enough.

Edited by Northern Red

• Admin

Sussex's hopes of promotion from Division Two of the County Championship have been dealt a major blow with the club handed a 12-point deduction.

The county were automatically docked points by the England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) after receiving four fixed penalties in one season.

Captain Cheteshwar Pujara has also been suspended for one match.

Sussex are now 30 points behind second-placed Worcestershire with two games of the campaign remaining.

The side finishing second will go up to Division One for next season with already promoted Durham.

Sussex and Pujara will not appeal against the decisions and the India batter will miss their next Championship fixture, which is away to Derbyshire and begins on Tuesday.

The 35-year-old was sanctioned for captaining Sussex in the matches in which all four fixed penalties were received, with the final two offences occurring during the 15-run win over Leicestershire last week.

"There were a couple of instances that the umpires were not impressed with," Sussex head coach Paul Farbrace told BBC Radio Sussex following the victory against the Foxes.

"In terms of us, as a team, we don't have a great deal of experience on the field and perhaps at times the emotions of the game - and the emotions of young people playing a game that they were on the verge of winning - maybe just took over.

"That is a fine line. You want your team to be passionate and care, but we don't want to cross the line and fall out with the umpires."

The sanctions were imposed in accordance with the ECB's professional conduct regulations.