IGNORED

County Cricket 2023 Season

phantom

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Anyone heading down to Bovey Tracey tomorrow for the Devon v Somerset one day game?

For some reason I thought it was at Truro tomorrow and Bovey on Tuesday not the other way around.

So as I’ve just spent 3 days in London I better give it a miss. Are you going?

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

For some reason I thought it was at Truro tomorrow and Bovey on Tuesday not the other way around.

So as I’ve just spent 3 days in London I better give it a miss. Are you going?

I was thinking about it but the weather looks awful (chucking it down here ATM about 20 miles away and only getting worse) so I doubt there will be much play - probably give it a miss TBH.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I was thinking about it but the weather looks awful (chucking it down here ATM about 20 miles away and only getting worse) so I doubt there will be much play - probably give it a miss TBH.

It’s been dry here all morning but Bovey is quite a wet place with the rain coming off Dartmoor. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Rew to the rescue, he’s Somerset’s equivalent of Alex Scott.

Rew is a few months younger and probably won’t get transferred for £25m but is certainly on his way to the top. 

His younger brother is better and is also a wicket keeper, which i can see causing Somerset an issue in a few years time.

Just now, northsomersetred said:

His younger brother is better and is also a wicket keeper, which i can see causing Somerset an issue in a few years time.

Yes I’ve heard that said a number of times. We’ll have to wait to find out and it would be great to have another Kiesy v Buttler situation but I think we should wait and see first.

Its not unheard of for a top sportsman to say he has a more talented sibling that hasn’t made it for whatever reason.

I’m just waiting for the next Hundred withdrawal and Rew to get called up. I know he’s not the biggest hitter out there but there’s nobody in better form and he’s certainly no slouch. 

1 minute ago, northsomersetred said:

Any train strike gurus on here?

I have hospitality booked for the One Day Cup on Friday, which is a strike day.

Am I just better off forgetting the trains on Friday or is there a chance there'll be a train there and back?

BTW i'm also a trade union member for nearly 40yrs, I have no issue with the strikes.

From where? I  traveled back from watching the Friday’s test yesterday from London but the last train back was 13.00.

You do know it’s a day nighter, so I’m thinking unlikely.

7 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

Any train strike gurus on here?

I have hospitality booked for the One Day Cup on Friday, which is a strike day.

Am I just better off forgetting the trains on Friday or is there a chance there'll be a train there and back?

BTW i'm also a trade union member for nearly 40yrs, I have no issue with the strikes.

Just seen that it’s not a full strike, just stuff like overtime ban so you may be ok. They usually post trains available a few days before

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes I’ve heard that said a number of times. We’ll have to wait to find out and it would be great to have another Kiesy v Buttler situation but I think we should wait and see first.

Its not unheard of for a top sportsman to say he has a more talented sibling that hasn’t made it for whatever reason.

I’m just waiting for the next Hundred withdrawal and Rew to get called up. I know he’s not the biggest hitter out there but there’s nobody in better form and he’s certainly no slouch. 

I've stood in games with both of them playing for Kings and Taunton St Andrews.

It's fantastic watching close up, one game last season, Tom came up to his capt at the end of the over and said 'i can reverse sweep this bowler over the pavilion' capt says 'just play sensibly'  no guessing what happened next ball?

2 minutes ago, northsomersetred said:

I've stood in games with both of them playing for Kings and Taunton St Andrews.

It's fantastic watching close up, one game last season, Tom came up to his capt at the end of the over and said 'i can reverse sweep this bowler over the pavilion' capt says 'just play sensibly'  no guessing what happened next ball?

Exciting times, I’m sure like James and other keepers he’s also a good outfielder so he can fight his brother for the gloves. 

• Admin
16 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Weston

@phantom any ideas??

Personally I would hold fire, I have travelled on these days and had no problems (went to Paddington and back last Sunday)

If there isn't a service suitable you can apply for a full refund as a worst case scenario

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't get it ,what is this one day tour match thingy, I know we are in the one day cup today at Cheltenham...........but don't know what the H this is ?

I think it`s just to get some 50 over stuff under our belts before we go into the one day cup - Glos played Wiltshire on Sunday I think (unless it got rained off) and I guess brings in some dosh for the Minor Counties. They used to enter the B&H Cup(?) back in the day IIRC - I remember going to watch Somerset away at Shropshire may years ago when they had Steve Ogrizovic bowling for them!

9 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I think it`s just to get some 50 over stuff under our belts before we go into the one day cup - Glos played Wiltshire on Sunday I think (unless it got rained off) and I guess brings in some dosh for the Minor Counties. They used to enter the B&H Cup(?) back in the day IIRC - I remember going to watch Somerset away at Shropshire may years ago when they had Steve Ogrizovic bowling for them!

Yes used to love the early rounds , went to  Sleaford (Lincolnshire), Horsham (Sussex Board), even went to Dublin in the first round to play Ireland in the Nat West (?).

Just now, slartibartfast said:

Yes used to love the early rounds , went to  Sleaford (Lincolnshire), Horsham (Sussex Board), even went to Dublin in the first round to play Ireland in the Nat West (?).

That was it. It was the NatWest not the B&H. i used to enjoy it too. I`m pretty sure it was seeded so every Minor County had a home game against a first class one.

• Like 1

Why are Somerset and Sussex playing twice against National County sides when every other First Class County plays just one game. 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Horsham. Somerset have been creamed by Sussex there in the past. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Text corrrection