IGNORED

R.I.P. Motty

Bristol Oil Services

That's sad. I was never a big fan of his commentating to be quite honest, but he did at least get over his huge enthusiasm for the sport and excitement to be working in it. He also didn't mind the jokes and parodies of his then-unique style, he saw the job as more important than himself.  I've worked with some folk who'd worked with him and they've all said what a nice guy he was. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That's sad. I was never a big fan of his commentating to be quite honest, but he did at least get over his huge enthusiasm for the sport and excitement to be working in it. He also didn't mind the jokes and parodies of his then-unique style, he saw the job as more important than himself.  I've worked with some folk who'd worked with him and they've all said what a nice guy he was. 

Summed up my thoughts perfectly, RIP.

• Like 2

Always remember the Leicester cup game away when Jackie torn them apart and his excited description on final score followed by his complimentary commentary towards us during the game. Absolute legend and was my favourite above David (Incredible) Coleman and Barry(Know it all) Davies.
Had a genuine love of the game which came across in the commentary.

The piss take they did on the fast show with him (Harry Enfield & Paul Whitehouse) interviewing Julio Geordio was brilliant...
Wonder who's getting the sheepskin coat..

Edited by Philly The Kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

RIP Motty.

The commentator of my growing up football years.  The reason my Nan wrote into Jim’ll Fixit asking if he could fix it for me to be a footie commentator.  Lucky escape in hindsight that I never got my wish!

Wouldn't have wanted to see the heat map you would no doubt have produced after meeting him, Dave.

So sad at Motty's passing. He was a legend who, within the BBC, always seemed to be in competition with Barrie Davies for the top commentary spot. It was never a competition in my eyes.

• Like 2