IGNORED

R.I.P. Motty

Bristol Oil Services

One of the greats from the days when televised football had commentators (Wolstenholme, Davies, Moore) who actually told you what was going on, and importantly knew when to keep quiet, instead of today's Opinionators (Jonathan Pearce aside) who prattle on about all and sundry except the game in progress. An encyclopaedic knowledge of football he was a joy to listen to. He was also a lovely man as I discovered when talking at length with him at an APFSCIL dinner. RIP Motty. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content

Clive has nailed it especially with the last bit

ITV commentator Clive Tyldesley speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live: "As a sixth-former I wanted to be John Motson, or at least I wanted his job. I was fortunate enough to get my break not too many years after that and even more fortunate for John to become a personal friend.

"He has probably influenced me more than any other commentator that I have listened to, both in the way I prepare for games and in the way I commentate.

"He is quite simply a national treasure - part of that venerable list [that includes] Peter O'Sullivan, Bill McLaren, Dan Maskell, Brian Johnston, Henry Longhurst, John Arlott.

"He, certainly along with Barry Davies and Brian Moore, was one of the three voices of football, as far as I was concerned.

"There will never be a voice of football again - there is too much football on television and too many commentators for anybody to have that relationship with his audience that John had."

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

Lovely man.  And so well informed - had statistics coming out of his ears!  I was a guest at a game at Oldham in the late 70s which he was commenting on.  At lunch we all put in a pound with our prediction.  His was a home win 3-1.  The result was actually 0-0 and it was one of the most boring games I have ever endured - I cannot even remember the opposition.  But he was lovely company - modest, knowledgeable and unassuming. RIP

• Like 1

Very sad news again today.It shows how old that I’m getting.I have his autobiography and it’s a great read.

I can’t believe how sad I feel actually.

John Motson and Brian Moore imho were just the greatest football commentators ever.

I even long for Roger Malone if I never have to listen to Sam Xxxxface ever again.

RIP Motty. Legend

• Like 2

True story.  Many, many (many) years ago, when a student, I got into the Directors’ Box at Chelsea thanks to a friend who was having a relationship with one of the Directors’ daughters.  At half time we were in the hospitality suite talking to the then injured Peter Osgood when he said “Stand in front of me lads.  If that **** sees me, I’ll have to talk to him”.  The **** was John Motson.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

BBC reports that he was in his local having a pint and watching the footy as per usual the night before he passed away. Seemed to be a popular regular and didn't suspect he was about to hear the final whistle.

Just read that. He seems that he simply loved the game, as many of us do, and would watch any game, which I have huge respect for.

Appears to have been a lovely man. RIP to an iconic commentator.