IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

9 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

At least this hasn’t got “splat” on it. Still looks cheap and nasty though (I don’t mind the blue). 

IMG_6385.jpeg

I find it odd that we have...what is it now? 4 logos? We have our official badge, the simplified badge seen on this shirt, "splat", and then the CITY in a circle on the training kit. There's nothing innately wrong with that I guess, just seems a bit unnecessary.

Maybe it's a case of dress codes? Formal (official badge), Smart casual, (simplified badge), sports casual (splat), casual (CITY circle)? Maybe. Maybe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Reminds me of the Man Utd kit mid 90's looks good though

IMG_5709.jpeg

Yeah this was in part the inspiration behind this because it was such a nice kit and I figured we'd all love to have our home on our shirts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I find it odd that we have...what is it now? 4 logos? We have our official badge, the simplified badge seen on this shirt, "splat", and then the CITY in a circle on the training kit. There's nothing innately wrong with that I guess, just seems a bit unnecessary.

Maybe it's a case of dress codes? Formal (official badge), Smart casual, (simplified badge), sports casual (splat), casual (CITY circle)? Maybe. Maybe.

I’m the same. I love the round badge, it’s clear and it’s, well, our badge! If I was at the gym (pha, who am I kidding) wearing a training top, with any of the other badges you wouldn’t  have a clue who I supported. You’d probably think Man City or Coventry City!!!

The thing about brands and Identity is, you really need have that logo out there for a while before you start messing about with it. We’ve only just changed it and we’re already messing about.  If you want to be creative, there are so many different ways and I feel Hummel absolutely nailed it. Use “Splat”, but stick it somewhere else like Hummel did. 

I’m still sourcing stuff on Vinted as I liked their quality so much. That orange and grey shirt was absolutely beautiful. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

I see Ipswich sold 5k new shirts in the first 5 hours they were on sale - 3k home and 2k away.

Very popular with the fans who apparently queued up early to get them, with a large number on display at an away friendly that afternoon.

Ipswich may have more fans than City (26k average last year in L1) and be on the crest of a promotion wave nevertheless I wonder how this enthusiasm to get hold of their new shirts compares with first day sales of the new (seemingly not very popular) City shirts?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I see Ipswich sold 5k new shirts in the first 5 hours they were on sale - 3k home and 2k away.

Very popular with the fans who apparently queued up early to get them, with a large number on display at an away friendly that afternoon.

Ipswich may have more fans than City (26k average last year in L1) and be on the crest of a promotion wave nevertheless I wonder how this enthusiasm to get hold of their new shirts compares with first day sales of the new (seemingly not very popular) City shirts?

I doubt we'd have 5K shirts available to sell in a month, let alone 5 hours..!

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2023 at 08:18, Agard Days Night said:

Interesting points. 

Do you think players (new or veteran) care at all what colour, make, or design the training kit is? 

Just a work uniform, no?

Absolutely, probably more so than "just a work uniform", you have to perform in it, in a game of fine margins.

I've had loads of shirts over the years, not just City and it's amazing how different in quality, fit and breathability they can be.

I'm not saying a player will sign because of the kit, but you want to be comfortable in it dont you?

Colour, probably less so important.

Perhaps the club aren't too bothered about shirt sales because they've never been a big money spinner?

Or perhaps they could be a bigger money spinner if they consulted with fans and offered them a top quality shirt that was actually popular with the fans.

That they couldn't wait to queue up to buy on day !?

I don't know, but Ipswich (yes, them again) in L1 shifted 22k the season before last and over 30k last season, so they sell  several thousand more shirts than their average gate.

Even including the kids' freebies, do City come anywhere near to matching that?

Allowing for a smaller fanbase do we shift say 20k+, and if not, why not? 

• Like 3

On 29/06/2023 at 08:18, Agard Days Night said:

Interesting points. 

Do you think players (new or veteran) care at all what colour, make, or design the training kit is? 

Just a work uniform, no?

Players won't generally care, they'd care more about comfort then design. The only real thing with colour is goalkeepers tend to prefer having darker colours because of how dirty kits get, I know somewhere had a white goalkeeper training kit once and most the season it had a feint brown colour to it because they couldn't get it properly clean every time.

• Haha 1

I just don’t get what the club are up to here. Literally everything they are sharing on social media at the moment has the players wearing blue - whatever the setting.

Training in blue t shirts.

Riding bikes in blue sleeveless tops.

Wandering around casually in blue polo shirts.

Black training tops with blue trim and the horrific splat Robin.

What the hell are the club thinking?! This is more than a one-off blue item now. It’s a complete rebrand across an entire range. And it’s NOT US. It doesn’t represent us. It doesn’t even say Bristol City on it.

Why do any of us buy City branded gear? It’s because we want to associate ourselves with our club, because we’re proud of it, and we want others to know we support them.

Who the hell is going to buy this stuff when it doesn’t in any way represent our club and leaves our own fans arguing about whether it looks like Man City or not? Well one thing’s certain, it sure as hell doesn’t look like Bristol City in any way. And it’s also a complete dilution of the club brand re-established only a couple of years ago with the new crest.

Just so bizarre.

• Like 13
  • Robin 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I just don’t get what the club are up to here. Literally everything they are sharing on social media at the moment has the players wearing blue - whatever the setting.

Training in blue t shirts.

Riding bikes in blue sleeveless tops.

Wandering around casually in blue polo shirts.

Black training tops with blue trim and the horrific splat Robin.

What the hell are the club thinking?! This is more than a one-off blue item now. It’s a complete rebrand across an entire range. And it’s NOT US. It doesn’t represent us. It doesn’t even say Bristol City on it.

Why do any of us buy City branded gear? It’s because we want to associate ourselves with our club, because we’re proud of it, and we want others to know we support them.

Who the hell is going to buy this stuff when it doesn’t in any way represent our club and leaves our own fans arguing about whether it looks like Man City or not? Well one thing’s certain, it sure as hell doesn’t look like Bristol City in any way. And it’s also a complete dilution of the club brand re-established only a couple of years ago with the new crest.

Just so bizarre.

You're going to look pretty daft when we announce that we have bought out and dissolved R*vers, and that these commemorative shirts are available for this season only.

• Like 1

The full range that we currently have in store, just looks a bit crap doesn't it

2943-460.jpgBristol City Red Bucket Hat

Even in the photos you can see dirt/bits of string on the hats..

2942-467.jpg4628.jpg

If i wanted to be really critical, whoever edited the photo has done a really poor job too, choppy outline where it has been cropped.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, KegCity said:

For a club that has been so conscious of brand image in the last 10 or so years it's very odd seeing the hodgepodge of logos and poor quality trainingwear/kit.

For a club that has never appreciated it's fan base and/or their opinions, just their money it's no great surprise that they are running roughshod over most with absolutely no consultation, it's the Lansdown's traight!

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

The full range that we currently have in store, just looks a bit crap doesn't it

2943-460.jpgBristol City Red Bucket Hat

Even in the photos you can see dirt/bits of string on the hats..

2942-467.jpg4628.jpg

If i wanted to be really critical, whoever edited the photo has done a really poor job too, choppy outline where it has been cropped.

Is that really official merch? Looks awful. 

• Like 5