IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

5 minutes ago, Roe said:

I didn't even realise the splat actually is just a random stock image ?? amazing

It’s a complete and utter piss take isnt it.  Beyond embarrassing that this gets past any kind of quality control.  Which is why it has to have been JL. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

We don’t play in blue though, it’s not part of our history, our rivals play in blue, if we sport a blue away kit it just proves more to the point that we are a very rich persons play thing. 

The view of the trust was stated before in this thread that it has already been done so there isn’t anything that can be done, there is, there could be pressure put on the club, statements etc.

I don’t mean this in an at all nasty way, but reading the minutes of the trust, what are they actively doing for fans? If you take man united supporters trust for example, they still actively put a lot of statements out. 

Reading the minutes and there just isn’t anything of real impact there. 

Err, we have played in blue.

In fact, arguably the clubs biggest game was played in blue.

• Like 1

I honestly have absolutely no problem at all with us playing in blue. We've played in blue before - fairly recent kits have had blue on them too. We have a current blue goalkeepers kit. 

Who cares if another team in Bristol wears blue? It doesn't seem to bother Liverpool or Man United who have both had blue away kits in recent times despite having rivals who wear blue. 

I'm annoyed about the introduction of this new robin, which has come out of the blue, just a few years after a comprehensive (and generally well received) rebrand, but a blue away kit? I'd welcome it to be honest! 

• Like 4

I wonder what Phil Alexander's thoughts and role is in all of this. 

What happened to trying to make every pound count?  We've got a market size of 30,000 people, if not more, and the only things we're offering them are shite like this. 

It's absolutely baffling and as annoying to me as if we lose on the first day of the season

It's summer and the start of an exciting new season. What can we offer fans ahead of this? Terrible bucket hats and full priced winter hats and gloves ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Err, we have played in blue.

In fact, arguably the clubs biggest game was played in blue.

Rob, let’s not be silly here,

We played one game 114 years ago, plus a Wembley one off kit and then the champagne gold with light blue piping, have I missed any others? 

I’ve already stated that, but you cannot use that as an excuse to have a blue away kit, something that has never been done before (bar a one off kit).

Our main rivals play in blue, Bristol City do not play in blue. 

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

We played one game 114 years ago, plus a Wembley one off kit and then the champagne gold with light blue piping, have I missed any others? 

I’ve already stated that, but you cannot use that as an excuse to have a blue away kit, something that has never been done before (bar a one off kit).

Why are you so sure the away kit will be blue? Because of the light blue training range or have you heard/seen something?

Asking genuinely btw, not a dig. Fwiw I hope it's not blue.

6 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

It does sound like you are more bothered about 'what Rovers might think' than 'Eff 'em, they're not relevant at the moment, and haven't been for many, many years'.

Yes, we have a rivalry with them, they're geographically our closest team, but to take such a stance is a bit unreasonable. We both have white on our kits - should we change the white as well?

As for other kits, just had a quick look at the following.

Bristol City Kit History - Football Kit Archive

And we have had blue on the keepers kit many times, so yes. We have played in blue often, and to suggest that 'well, that's just the keepers kit' (which I'm going to guess is a likely answer) - just imagine the results if we didn't play with a keeper in those games to keep the colour-sensitive happy! ? 

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Why are you so sure the away kit will be blue? Because of the light blue training range or have you heard/seen something?

Asking genuinely btw, not a dig. Fwiw I hope it's not blue.

The amount of blue that has been pushed in the training gear, quite openly, how late the away kit is being released.

They are doing it so people get used to seeing blue, then release it late enough so it’s a 

“oh, what you mean you don’t like it, we thought it was nice, we know for next year”

plus the hope that we win the first away game 4-0 and no one cares. 

give or take a few days with the date 

18/19 released jun 25th

19/20 released July 2nd

20/21 away kit released 20th august 

22/23 released July 14th

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I honestly have absolutely no problem at all with us playing in blue. We've played in blue before - fairly recent kits have had blue on them too. We have a current blue goalkeepers kit. 

Who cares if another team in Bristol wears blue? It doesn't seem to bother Liverpool or Man United who have both had blue away kits in recent times despite having rivals who wear blue. 

I'm annoyed about the introduction of this new robin, which has come out of the blue, just a few years after a comprehensive (and generally well received) rebrand, but a blue away kit? I'd welcome it to be honest! 

I’m the same, I couldn’t care less about the colour to be honest. I’m actually looking forward to a blue away kit. The Gas are irrelevant to us and we’ve played in blue. 

I am a tiny bit concerned that all our promo is done in blue however, but that’s it. As you've said, It’s the Robin and the other rubbish that’s being churned out (and all round lack of commercial) that’s concerning me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

It does sound like you are more bothered about 'what Rovers might think' than 'Eff 'em, they're not relevant at the moment, and haven't been for many, many years'.

Yes, we have a rivalry with them, they're geographically our closest team, but to take such a stance is a bit unreasonable. We both have white on our kits - should we change the white as well?

As for other kits, just had a quick look at the following.

Bristol City Kit History - Football Kit Archive

And we have had blue on the keepers kit many times, so yes. We have played in blue often, and to suggest that 'well, that's just the keepers kit' (which I'm going to guess is a likely answer) - just imagine the results if we didn't play with a keeper in those games to keep the colour-sensitive happy! ? 

You really haven’t proved much with that though Rob, you don’t associate white with being the colours of our rivals do you?

Sorry, it looks like I missed the 99-00 third kit being blue.

So in our long history, we have had two kits for a season which had blue, plus 2 one off kits. Again, it’s not our history . 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

The amount of blue that has been pushed in the training gear, quite openly, how late the away kit is being released.

Can I just point out the first away game is Millwall and therefore we won’t be wearing a blue away kit in any event.

As you were.

• Confused 1

Maybe there's a real danger of a slippery slope here I'm missing but I think a bit of perspective is needed - yes, people should tell the club (as some admirably already have) if they don't like the trainingwear and that splat looks stupid, but it's not like we're about to take to the field in blue and white quarters with splat emblazoned over the front instead of our actual badge is it and goodnight irene pumping out over the tannoy?

It's also not the SC&T's fault, they sound like they're doing what they can with the resources they have and struggling to make headway. I'm sure there are bits they could do better, they're volunteers as far as I'm aware, but they're not the cause of any problem here.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

They are doing it so people get used to seeing blue, then release it late enough so it’s a 

“oh, what you mean you don’t like it, we thought it was nice, we know for next year”

give or take a few days with the date 

18/19 released jun 25th

19/20 released July 2nd

20/21 away kit released 20th august 

22/23 released July 14th

I could see there being something in them delaying the release of the third kit for fear of backlash. The club will be aware of how under scrutiny the club apparel is following the Hummel/O'Neills switch mid season and the negative reactions to both O'Neills kits and splat. 

Or they're releasing it really late to try and maximise interest/'hype'? Either way it's a bit dumb. If the away kit proves popular, get it out now so you can sell more units and if it proves unpopular, rip the band aid off and get it over with. Finally bring this saga to an end ?

At the end of the day, it's one season. We'll have many more kits and suppliers over the coming decades. We may have to write this one off!

4 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I could see there being something in them delaying the release of the third kit for fear of backlash. The club will be aware of how under scrutiny the club apparel is following the Hummel/O'Neills switch mid season and the negative reactions to both O'Neills kits and splat. 

Or they're releasing it really late to try and maximise interest/'hype'? Either way it's a bit dumb. If the away kit proves popular, get it out now so you can sell more units and if it proves unpopular, rip the band aid off and get it over with. Finally bring this saga to an end ?

At the end of the day, it's one season. We'll have many more kits and suppliers over the coming decades. We may have to write this one off!

The splat robins is the third kit, it’s been released for months now.

Im talking about the blue away kit that will be released. 

The protection of "club colours" and the requirement for clubs to consult changes thereto is generally considered to be limited to home colours. 

This is seen in most rules, regulations, and guidance (FA Rule M, Fan Led Review etc). I would also read that meaning into our SC&T/Club MOU. 

Away/Third kits aren't deemed necessary to protect as they a) tend to be used for one season only, and b) don't pertain as closely to the identity of the club.

If we do come out with a blue away kit then there will be some ruffled feathers no doubt, but as with the third kit I'd expect the Club to say they've not broken any rule, reg, or the terms of the MOU and so won't issue an apology or anything akin to that.

I know that won't sate the fervour of someone with a username like @Wedontplayinblue, but I'd be confident that it's the position the Club would take if the SC&T or any other fans kicked up a fuss.

20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The protection of "club colours" and the requirement for clubs to consult changes thereto is generally considered to be limited to home colours. 

This is seen in most rules, regulations, and guidance (FA Rule M, Fan Led Review etc). I would also read that meaning into our SC&T/Club MOU. 

Away/Third kits aren't deemed necessary to protect as they a) tend to be used for one season only, and b) don't pertain as closely to the identity of the club.

If we do come out with a blue away kit then there will be some ruffled feathers no doubt, but as with the third kit I'd expect the Club to say they've not broken any rule, reg, or the terms of the MOU and so won't issue an apology or anything akin to that.

I know that won't sate the fervour of someone with a username like @Wedontplayinblue, but I'd be confident that it's the position the Club would take if the SC&T or any other fans kicked up a fuss.

That is the problem, the position of the club quite frankly not caring as it’s within the rules and the MOU signed.

It doesn’t mean it’s right. 

3 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

From reading the above and the Supporters Trust view of “it’s been done, we can’t do much”

What is the reaction going to be from the supporters trust when the away kit is released, which I fully believe is going to be blue? 

As per my name, we simply do not play in blue, the last few years we would have had a new badge (which I actually like), to the tracing of a free image on Google (search Robin in flight), to now I fully believe playing in blue?

This isn’t knocking the supporters trust at all as I fully understand how closed the club is, but surely there should be something ready to go the instant a blue away kit is released.

Errr...there was this one game, quite a while ago...and more recently, the FLT final vs Stoke, the champagne and blue away kit (2006??) and all of David James' GK kits.

And much in the way ManUre have in the past worn (dark) blue away kits, could we not wear a (light) blue kit? Or an Argentina copy (that would be cool)?

Personally, I'm not wild about blue, but I don't buy replica kits.

22 minutes ago, frenchred said:

IMG-20230717-WA0016~2.jpg

Maybe, just maybe!

That white kit looks nice and well-designed, so...no chance

2 hours ago, phantom said:

You may want to have a look at our history in more detail

For what it is worth I do not disagree with you on this, but you are going after the wrong people on this

I mean we know we've had blue in the past but very very rarely and the most traditional is red home, white/yellow/black as away, obviously purple and green have featured but if someone said to the average fan "Name 5 colours associated with your football club" to most City fans you'd find red, white, black, green and purple would be more common with the younger generation and the older generation may say red, white, yellow, black and green. I don't think any City fan would associate blue anywhere near the top which is why many would not like a blue kit.

Personally, if they give us a blue away kit I would also be very disappointed, it's clear that most fans associate blue with Rovers, so why would you even bother to use it, it's basic supply and demand, the demand is not there for a blue kit, so why supply it?

• Admin

I do find it mildly amusing a new user comes onto OTIB this morning getting many excited about having a blue away kit - apparently just because it hasn't been released yet

Yes there was talk of blue on the away kit - but NOT a blue kit, this was even back when Gould was at the club, but how about the idea that the delay is because this has been updated?

Let's wait until we see what is released before everyone gets in a frenzy??

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Spike said:

I mean we know we've had blue in the past but very very rarely and the most traditional is red home, white/yellow/black as away, obviously purple and green have featured but if someone said to the average fan "Name 5 colours associated with your football club" to most City fans you'd find red, white, black, green and purple would be more common with the younger generation and the older generation may say red, white, yellow, black and green. I don't think any City fan would associate blue anywhere near the top which is why many would not like a blue kit.

Personally, if they give us a blue away kit I would also be very disappointed, it's clear that most fans associate blue with Rovers, so why would you even bother to use it, it's basic supply and demand, the demand is not there for a blue kit, so why supply it?

I would argue I associate quarters with the other lot, but certainly NOT the shade of blue that has been seen on our training gear

But I would assume we wouldn't use that colour as it would not be on the training gear?

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do find it mildly amusing a new user comes onto OTIB this morning getting many excited about having a blue away kit - apparently just because it hasn't been released yet

Yes there was talk of blue on the away kit - but NOT a blue kit, this was even back when Gould was at the club, but how about the idea that the delay is because this has been updated?

Let's wait until we see what is released before everyone gets in a frenzy??

Find it amusing if you want phantom but it’s obvious what will happen. 

• Flames 1