IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

8 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

People forget that we’ve had so called “big names” supply us in the past.

Puma under GJ - generally quite middle of the road bland kits.
Adidas under DMc - catalogue template rubbish and never any stock. 

For me, some of the best kits we have had in recent times were the “in-house” Bristol Sport ones. Wouldn’t be against us going back to this sort of arrangement tbh.

People having a moan because they/their kid doesn’t want to be seen in an O’Neills kit/tracksuit. Can’t get any street cred unless you’re in the latest overpriced releases from JD sports? Jesus wept, talk about first world problems.

Oh I definitely remember Adidas as I thought their template stuff was awful but at the same time they had some lovely templates and ultimately what Adidas do with their "smaller clubs" is they give the club a bunch of template options and the club picks from them. Some of the other smaller clubs with Adidas picked some beautiful templates, the reason we had such horrid ones like the black across the chest was due to whomever made that decision at the club, ultimately someone chose some ugly kits but the quality was there. The supply, however, I agree fully with, they dropped the ball. 

I also don't care about the brand so much, it's about what they deliver. I can happily go without Adidas, Puma etc but only when the kits look nice. Hummel made the best kits we've had in years but I also really liked the Bristol Sports kits and would rather go back to that than be with O'Neills. 

Another thing I'll say is Puma, as boring as it was having templates, we're not that bad, they always stuck to traditional colours and always looked ok, I'd even dare say they looked quite nice back in the day. I think my problem is we've been spoiled with really nice kits for a while now, Hummel and before that Bristol Sport, O'Neills has just been a step backwards in my eyes and rates down there with some of the worst. 

One thing I'm happy about, at least we've not hit the lows of Lottos "nazi third kit", although I did like Lottos home kit at that time. 

8 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

Edited by Spike

9 hours ago, OddBallJim said:

People forget that we’ve had so called “big names” supply us in the past.

Puma under GJ - generally quite middle of the road bland kits.
Adidas under DMc - catalogue template rubbish and never any stock. 

For me, some of the best kits we have had in recent times were the “in-house” Bristol Sport ones. Wouldn’t be against us going back to this sort of arrangement tbh.

People having a moan because they/their kid doesn’t want to be seen in an O’Neills kit/tracksuit. Can’t get any street cred unless you’re in the latest overpriced releases from JD sports? Jesus wept, talk about first world problems.

As I’ve said earlier on in this thread, there is a definite whiff of brand snobbery going on - if the current kits were made by a bigger brand then almost certainly there would be less complaints (apart from that robin of course).  Because O’Neills isn’t well known it must be naff (in the same way wearing Gola or Hi-Tec trainers to school in the 80s instead of Adidas or Puma was)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ollywhyte said:

Got a feeling it was a white shirt with a cyan blue robin originally, similar colour to the training wear we have seen. Our guesswork though

That would have been a decent colour combo.

The thing with the away kits, they can't please everyone. Some are over purple and lime , some hate the Black , the white has been criticised. I can understand why they try and mix it up and introducing a totally new colour makes some sense . 
I wonder if they will launch it this week and have it on sale for Saturday , or is that too sensible ?

That Home collar in some photos has looked bad, but I looked at some of the recent game photos and it looks ok . Not sure what has happened and TBH I'd be tempted to try an exchange or return if I got a bad one. 

51 minutes ago, Spike said:

Oh I definitely remember Adidas as I thought their template stuff was awful but at the same time they had some lovely templates and ultimately what Adidas do with their "smaller clubs" is they give the club a bunch of template options and the club picks from them. Some of the other smaller clubs with Adidas picked some beautiful templates, the reason we had such horrid ones like the black across the chest was due to whomever made that decision at the club, ultimately someone chose some ugly kits but the quality was there. The supply, however, I agree fully with, they dropped the ball. 

I also don't care about the brand so much, it's about what they deliver. I can happily go without Adidas, Puma etc but only when the kits look nice. Hummel made the best kits we've had in years but I also really liked the Bristol Sports kits and would rather go back to that than be with O'Neills. 

Another thing I'll say is Puma, as boring as it was having templates, we're not that bad, they always stuck to traditional colours and always looked ok, I'd even dare say they looked quite nice back in the day. I think my problem is we've been spoiled with really nice kits for a while now, Hummel and before that Bristol Sport, O'Neills has just been a step backwards in my eyes and rates down there with some of the worst. 

One thing I'm happy about, at least we've not hit the lows of Lottos "nazi third kit", although I did like Lottos home kit at that time. 

The problem I had with Bristol Sport kits, and I had a few of them, is that each year it would be a completely different material and fit. There was no continuity, I'd buy the same size and on one shirt it was baggy and the other it was too tight. We may as well have had a different brand each year. In terms of quality, they've lasted, but I dont wear them as much tbh

With the likes of Adidas, and more so with Hummel as again I had a few of them, the fit was the same each year. I've got 2 years of keeper shirts and a home shirt and they all fitted as I expected.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That would have been a decent colour combo.

The thing with the away kits, they can't please everyone. Some are over purple and lime , some hate the Black , the white has been criticised. I can understand why they try and mix it up and introducing a totally new colour makes some sense . 
I wonder if they will launch it this week and have it on sale for Saturday , or is that too sensible ?

That Home collar in some photos has looked bad, but I looked at some of the recent game photos and it looks ok . Not sure what has happened and TBH I'd be tempted to try an exchange or return if I got a bad one. 

Available, and worn, in time for Millwall away I'd imagine.

And I know we don't need an away kit for Millwall, but we've worn our away kit there a few times in recent years, especially white kits

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

As I’ve said earlier on in this thread, there is a definite whiff of brand snobbery going on - if the current kits were made by a bigger brand then almost certainly there would be less complaints (apart from that robin of course).  Because O’Neills isn’t well known it must be naff (in the same way wearing Gola or Hi-Tec trainers to school in the 80s instead of Adidas or Puma was)

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The 'in-house' kits were of decent quality weren't they? 

Some of the photos of dodgy collars and inconsistent sleeve designs aren't a great advert for the brand/manufacturer. I did really like the Hummel kits but I was willing to give O'Neills a chance (I didn't have choice anyway). 

37 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

But that's not true as the Bristol Sports kits were great and that's an even "lesser brand". I mean I've said it before, I'd take Hummel over Nike or Adidas, I'd take Robey sports over O'Neills. It's not about the big name, it's the kits. I hated hummels chevrons for the longest time, but they've managed to make great kits and include them. My point is people are pissed off because we have 3 kits, the home one has an odd collar but other than that isn't awful, however of the other two kits the third has an awful Robin that noone but Lansdown seems to want on kits and branding and the yellow away kits have always been pretty ugly. Then after that we're told we may get a blue kit with the same Robin and you think it's the name on the kit that's bothering people? 

The home kit is acceptable, however, I don't like it enough to buy it, the third kit is one of the worst in a very long time and the training kits and so on are awful too. It's simple, people don't like this stuff, that's the issue. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Coventry fans will be asking

How come the kits arrived so late there wasn't enough time to put the sponsors on?

They'll also be asking why are no kits available to buy until about the 3rd game of the season. 

They'll be asking why they have no away kit when they need an away kit for Sunday! 

Can you imagine the uproar if that was here? Our fanbase would be having a collective meltdown. Imagine starting the season without a single fan being able to wear the new shirt(s)

I think O'Neills are getting a lot of unfair stick from our fans. They produced kits at very short notice for us where as usually there is a very long lead time. 

We're the collars and socks down to O'Neills or down to us? Considering their GAA stuff is top quality, I'm inclined to suggest the fault doesn't lay with them. 

They’re getting stick because they are producing substandard products and the club are continuing to charge premium quality prices.

That’s on both Oneills and City. Until the quality improves or the prices reduce, they deserve all the criticism they get from the supporters they expect to buy it.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Nothing to do with brand snobbery. If we couldn’t point to the inconsistent production, the oversize collar, the cheap materials and stitching, the colour mismatches, and the very obvious poor quality compared to premium brands charging the same…then you might have a point.

It’s got an awful lot more to do with quality and value than it has the brand.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

You’re spot on. Irony being that naff looking trainers are somehow back in fashion now. Answers on a postcard for that one.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

They’re getting stick because they are producing substandard products and the club are continuing to charge premium quality prices.

That’s on both Oneills and City. Until the quality improves or the prices reduce, they deserve all the criticism they get from the supporters they expect to buy it.

What's wrong with the quality of the third kit? 

• Admin
22 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

On what part though?

The lack of away kit so far,

The splat Robin 

it being blue 

etc

I am now able to tell you that the away shirt will not be available before the end of August / start of September, but there is still no guaranteed date 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

I am now able to tell you that the away shirt will not be available before the end of August / start of September, but there is still no guaranteed date 

Send in the clowns

Edited by glynriley

33 minutes ago, phantom said:

Is it me or do we have “supply issues” with every kit manufacturer??? What’s the common denominator here…?? 

42 minutes ago, phantom said:

Does this mean we won’t see it before those days? Ie is the big Twitter reveal going to be this late too, or will they reveal soon but not make for public sale til late august/early sept?

Thanks in advance ?

Edited by BCFCGav

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Is it me or do we have “supply issues” with every kit manufacturer??? What’s the common denominator here…?? 

Will come out in time I’m sure but IMO we have had a last minute change of heart due to the backlash of the third kit and have now decided against using the splat robin and/or the blue rumoured colour

Can’t imagine it’s an O’Neills cock up, whatever we think of their brand/quality, we can at least give them credit for turning over two kits in February when we needed them promptly 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Jesus Christ ????

What's the issue? We've been given an approximate date now so can't see the issue? 

We don't need an away shirt immediately. 

As @1960maaan has said. The usual lead time is around 18 months. We've been with them since February. 

It's not ideal, but when you consider the complexities, it is understandable. The only issue for me has been the lack of communication. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

Will come out in time I’m sure but IMO we have had a last minute change of heart due to the backlash of the third kit and have now decided against using the splat robin and/or the blue rumoured colour

Can’t imagine it’s an O’Neills cock up, whatever we think of their brand/quality, we can at least give them credit for turning over two kits in February when we needed them promptly 

I doubt it is O’Neils. Something is wrong with the club that we so often have kit supply problems. I wonder whether we aren’t easy to deal with as a business and strike too hard a deal or don’t buy in the quantities to make us an attractive customer…. Working out way form the manufacturer’s priority list. All speculation but sobering seems odd.  

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What's the issue? We've been given an approximate date now so can't see the issue? 

We don't need an away shirt immediately. 

As @1960maaan has said. The usual lead time is around 18 months. We've been with them since February. 

It's not ideal, but when you consider the complexities, it is understandable. The only issue for me has been the lack of communication. 

Mate, they’ve produced the home kit, 3rd kit, training kits in a various colours and designs….. come on. So you think they’ve made the conscious decision to release a 3rd kit before an away kit? We both know it’s because they’ve changed / messed something up. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Mate, they’ve produced the home kit, 3rd kit, training kits in a various colours and designs….. come on. So you think they’ve made the conscious decision to release a 3rd kit before an away kit? We both know it’s because they’ve changed / messed something up. 

Since we've been supplied by O'Neills which let's remember is quite a small buisness in Ireland, they've had to produce home and 3rd kits for all of our teams plus GK kits. On top of that they've then had to produce home,third and GK shirts for our fans to buy. 

On top of that they've then had to produce all the training wear for our teams plus training wear for our fans to buy.

This small buisness in Ireland is having to do this alongside all of their usual production. On top of this the Bears have signed up with them too so they'll also be busy producing all of their kits. 

But yes, this small business hasn't produced an away kit because of a cock up, obviously. 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Since we've been supplied by O'Neills which let's remember is quite a small buisness in Ireland, they've had to produce home and 3rd kits for all of our teams plus GK kits. On top of that they've then had to produce home,third and GK shirts for our fans to buy. 

On top of that they've then had to produce all the training wear for our teams plus training wear for our fans to buy.

This small buisness in Ireland is having to do this alongside all of their usual production. On top of this the Bears have signed up with them too so they'll also be busy producing all of their kits. 

But yes, this small business hasn't produced an away kit because of a cock up, obviously. 

Why have they chosen to produce all of that, including home and away training kits, ahead of an away shirt? Doesn’t that seem a bit backwards to you? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Why have they chosen to produce all of that, including home and away training kits, ahead of an away shirt? Doesn’t that seem a bit backwards to you? 

Because we don't need an away kit right now. So therefore from a manufacturing perspective, it's not a priority to produce us an away shirt when they have other more urgent manufacturing priorities. 

20 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Because we don't need an away kit right now. So therefore from a manufacturing perspective, it's not a priority to produce us an away shirt when they have other more urgent manufacturing priorities. 

So making our away training jackets and away training T-shirts, training vest and a 3rd kit is a manufacturing priority ahead of the away kit itself?  Okay then. ?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

So making our away training jackets and away training T-shirts, training vest and a 3rd kit is a manufacturing priority ahead of the away kit itself?  Okay then. ?

Please tell me for what away game is it where we can't wear either the red or yellow shirts? 

Training kits are essential.