IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

4 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

£70.95 (including delivery) for a plain grey hoodie with a splat Robin.

Are you taking the piss?

IMG_7062.thumb.jpeg.c9ef6655bfed721197a8747e33bce81c.jpeg 

I see that any remaining sense of shame at the club has now completely gone.

Don't let them dress it up on social media with their fan cams and their chatty engagement, the contempt for supporters from those at the heart of the club is so obvious. Buying a substandard product at an inflated price is all you are to them.

Also, trading standards should be involved every time they sell an item described as "Bristol City" with splat on it. Since when did it become okay to pass off this completely random nonsense as providing something representing the club?

What next, buy a job lot of 99p white t-shirts down the market and sell them for £40 each as "Bristol City White T-shirts" - they may as well, providing actual club branding doesn't seem to be necessary any more. This is a race to the bottom. 

And not one of the people who claim to be connected or have a voice at the club have been able to do anything about it.

• Like 17
  • Flames 1

As mentioned many times, market forces will dictate what happens next, if people still buy the stuff then the club will think they have made the right choice.  Ive seen plenty of people wearing the kit and accessories already so they either don't care what it looks like or genuinely like it.  

I agree that hoody looks completely generic and void of any quality, but I'm not stupid enough to buy it!  it reminds me of stuff you get personalised online for stag do's or class of 23 leavers hoodies!

The difference between that one and the very good quality grey Hummel hoodie is poles apart!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

£70.95 (including delivery) for a plain grey hoodie with a splat Robin.

Are you taking the piss?

IMG_7062.thumb.jpeg.c9ef6655bfed721197a8747e33bce81c.jpeg 

Direct comparison with O'Neils own.

Screenshot2023-08-22at08_38_38.png.c95e8594dc65c4ea25e1e7fe22c78655.png Screenshot2023-08-22at08_39_33.png.96cd54272e545d9ddfbee3bd47ddb619.png

Basically paying £30 for a City badge. 
They really have got this wrong.

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

At least the strategy is completely clear - maximise profit irrespective of quality. Strike a deal with a low-end manufacturer and sell at an absurd price to a captive market (prices higher than similar clubs using better brands/quality merchandise).
Hopefully there will be a big enough downturn in sales to hit the club and force a re-think for next season. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

At least the strategy is completely clear - maximise profit irrespective of quality.

There is no defence for charging so much for those things, they have completely lost sight of the fans. Get reasonable impulse buys in the shop, cheaper decent quality shirts and odds n ends that the casual shopper will grab. 

36 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Strike a deal with a low-end manufacturer and sell at an absurd price to a captive market (prices higher than similar clubs using better brands/quality merchandise).

I have to defend the Club with this, and I'm repeating myself here.
We were without stock, without a supplier and they needed a company to turn around in 3 months, something that would normally take 18. It is possible O'Neils were the only one that could do it. If we couldn't supply shirts for this season fans would be going mad, none of the "big" brands would/could have done it, we were in a difficult position and we will never know if there were other options.

41 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Hopefully there will be a big enough downturn in sales to hit the club and force a re-think for next season. 

This could be interesting. I have seen plenty of the 3rd kit so not everyone hates it , but..
The kits are usually a similar price and they are the kits we watch the team in, so they hold a special place with fans. The training/leisure ranges are different, if they are really good and good quality , they will sell. If they are reasonable quality and reasonable price they will sell. If they are massively over priced for half assed designs ? We will see.
We may be contracted for a couple of years, but if they don't sell the other stuff there has to be a rethink. The sales could come early this season.

• Flames 1

I see that O'Neils supply Sutton Utd, so I had a look at their pricing. I actually like their shirts, 3rd kit looks good and is £37, much more like it IMO.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_09_22.png.b5712d68fc8e8453ae5e3b20f345d4b8.png

They don't do hoodies, but they do a crested coat which has a stitched crest and that comes at about the same price as out hoody . I don't see the club shop doing much trade on leisurewear this year TBH.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_10_36.png.db5039e1e8cd4be1c5339ab8f94a8393.png

The other aspect to this people haven’t mentioned - we’re in a cost of living crisis. Prices like this are bad enough at the best of times, but this shows absolutely no regard for the tough financial times the club’s supporters are enduring - and is in no way justified by inflation.

A decent club with supporters at its heart would price things reasonably. Sadly, City seem to be moving further and further away from that description.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

There is no defence for charging so much for those things, they have completely lost sight of the fans. Get reasonable impulse buys in the shop, cheaper decent quality shirts and odds n ends that the casual shopper will grab. 

I have to defend the Club with this, and I'm repeating myself here.
We were without stock, without a supplier and they needed a company to turn around in 3 months, something that would normally take 18. It is possible O'Neils were the only one that could do it. If we couldn't supply shirts for this season fans would be going mad, none of the "big" brands would/could have done it, we were in a difficult position and we will never know if there were other options.

This could be interesting. I have seen plenty of the 3rd kit so not everyone hates it , but..
The kits are usually a similar price and they are the kits we watch the team in, so they hold a special place with fans. The training/leisure ranges are different, if they are really good and good quality , they will sell. If they are reasonable quality and reasonable price they will sell. If they are massively over priced for half assed designs ? We will see.
We may be contracted for a couple of years, but if they don't sell the other stuff there has to be a rethink. The sales could come early this season.

Good point. It would be interesting to know the split between leisure/training wear and shirts. It seem more people are buying training/leisure than ever before. 

Also take your point about short timescales to replace Hummel but my point was more about consumer pricing… we’ve landed with a small brand at higher than normal prices for customers (well supporters actually). The club is making significant margin more from its supporters than other similar clubs (as shown above). That’s just exploiting a captive market. 

Man United/Adidas £60 Bristol City/O’Neils £65…. It doesn’t sit right with me, global brand Man Utd who never knowingly give a toss about their fans charging less than City….

https://store.manutd.com/en/manchester-united-adidas-dna-hoodie-black/p-1247691950446863+z-977-2346089174?_ref=p-FPP:m-TS:pi-PDP_RECOMMENDATIONS_1:i-r0c0:po-0

5 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Good point. It would be interesting to know the split between leisure/training wear and shirts. It seem more people are buying training/leisure than ever before. 

Also take your point about short timescales to replace Hummel but my point was more about consumer pricing… we’ve landed with a small brand at higher than normal prices for customers (well supporters actually). The club is making significant margin more from its supporters than other similar clubs (as shown above). That’s just exploiting a captive market. 

Man United/Adidas £60 Bristol City/O’Neils £65…. It doesn’t sit right with me, global brand Man Utd who never knowingly give a toss about their fans charging less than City….

https://store.manutd.com/en/manchester-united-adidas-dna-hoodie-black/p-1247691950446863+z-977-2346089174?_ref=p-FPP:m-TS:pi-PDP_RECOMMENDATIONS_1:i-r0c0:po-0

IMO we have always been on the dear side for the Club shop, at least the last few years. 
I Remember reading that Bristol Sport would be doing everything in house, but the fans never got the benefit in prices . 
That Man U top (horrible and basic though it is) has a stitched in logo , at least they went the extra mile for a touch of quality. Sewing a badge on and charging almost double is a joke.

One thing , I seem to remember there were Clubs that were with Hummel the same time as us, and charged less for similar goods. It's short sighted IMO.
If you do decent stuff at reasonable prices, I think you would sell more to make up any profit lost per item. Not only that, you're talking about fans , they are likely to buy more than one. 
I got one of the Hummel Tee shirts, I think it was about £30. I don't buy many things from the shop (I wont go on about choice and stock) , but I liked the shirt and at the price I was ok with it. Now I really like the "City" Tees, but at £40 there is no chance, I got the version from OTIB . The O'Neils one looks decent quality, but at almost quarter of the price it was a difficult decision.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_43_19.png.eb72f51968e09bd141581ccf440b10a3.png

• Like 1

What is a real shame with the pricing especially is that they are treating fans like consumers, we should, at our heart, be a football club, with fans at the centre, and to fleece them with tat shows where our moral compass at the club currently sits.  

They may argue that if you want a successful team then you need to get the money in to pay players wages, but that is BS when you have a billionaire owner who bails the club out to the tune of millions every year, so getting a relatively low sum from fans is a drop in the ocean.  

How many shirts do we sell? Even if for ease of maths you went with 10,000 shirt sales per year, if SL said I will personally take £10 off the shirt price to help fans, that's still only £100,000 out of his pocket, compared to the multi millions he spunks up the wall on players and wages and everything else.  The fans would feel valued, SL has made the money back by lunch time in interest, everyone is happy.

The fish rots from the head!

Edited by Tinmans Love Child
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

IMO we have always been on the dear side for the Club shop, at least the last few years. 
I Remember reading that Bristol Sport would be doing everything in house, but the fans never got the benefit in prices . 
That Man U top (horrible and basic though it is) has a stitched in logo , at least they went the extra mile for a touch of quality. Sewing a badge on and charging almost double is a joke.

One thing , I seem to remember there were Clubs that were with Hummel the same time as us, and charged less for similar goods. It's short sighted IMO.
If you do decent stuff at reasonable prices, I think you would sell more to make up any profit lost per item. Not only that, you're talking about fans , they are likely to buy more than one. 
I got one of the Hummel Tee shirts, I think it was about £30. I don't buy many things from the shop (I wont go on about choice and stock) , but I liked the shirt and at the price I was ok with it. Now I really like the "City" Tees, but at £40 there is no chance, I got the version from OTIB . The O'Neils one looks decent quality, but at almost quarter of the price it was a difficult decision.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_43_19.png.eb72f51968e09bd141581ccf440b10a3.png

Yeah I like that City logo and the one you’ve got is a sensible price. 
it’s a bit of a seventies look (the logo). If we’d just gone with that and not the splat thing, I think there would have been far less grumbling. 
I’d actually not mind that logo on a change  shirt - maybe go for a bit of a retro style shirt and at least make a theme of it. 

I also remember that BS would be able to produce at fairer prices…. Turned out to be BS!!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I see that O'Neils supply Sutton Utd, so I had a look at their pricing. I actually like their shirts, 3rd kit looks good and is £37, much more like it IMO.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_09_22.png.b5712d68fc8e8453ae5e3b20f345d4b8.png

They don't do hoodies, but they do a crested coat which has a stitched crest and that comes at about the same price as out hoody . I don't see the club shop doing much trade on leisurewear this year TBH.

Screenshot2023-08-22at11_10_36.png.db5039e1e8cd4be1c5339ab8f94a8393.png

From £37,so that may be kids sizes?