IGNORED

Happy 80th Brian “Speedy” Drysdale

3 Peaps In A PodCast

I remember him as being a good player, signed for a bargain fee. Unfortunately, for him, City were promoted to Division One towards the end of his career. When City signed Norman Hunter, and Geoff Merrick moved to left back, that was it as far as first team opportunities were concerned 

34 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I remember him as being a good player, signed for a bargain fee. Unfortunately, for him, City were promoted to Division One towards the end of his career. When City signed Norman Hunter, and Geoff Merrick moved to left back, that was it as far as first team opportunities were concerned 

Yes, early in our first div. days away at Man City poor old Speed was torn a new one by a young Peter Barnes (no disgrace, there) On a happier note I was at Ninian Park when he scored his first (?) goal for city in a 3-2 (or something like that ) win which started our great unbeaten run v Cardiff !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Robin 1

Funnily enough bumped into him at a pub in Keynsham last weekend, thought I recognised him but insulted him by asking if he was Mike Gibson! Had a good chat, he said how Brian Clough rescued his career after he was released by Lincoln by offering him a job at Hartlepool where he was part of their promotion team. Has obviously looked after himself as still looks lean an fit, made my weekend, a great bloke.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, early in our first div. days away at Man City poor old Speed was torn a new one by a young Peter Barnes (no disgrace, there) On a happier note I was at Ninian Park when he scored his first (?) goal for city in a 3-2 (or something like that ) win which started our great unbeaten run v Cardiff !

not long after that Keith Weller tried his luck....and tore Speedy another new one

• Haha 1

Like all that side that got to the top flight (& I could name them off by heart), he was a bloody good player.

However he was already reaching the veteran stage by the time we went up & as has been said, Sir Geoffrey switched across to LB to accommodate Norman Hunter & he dropped out.

Lovely to see he’s stayed fit, active in this part of the world for all these years, his son had a decent career too.

Sat next to him At Gerry Gows testimonial dinner. 

What a top bloke.

We sat chatting for ages about the club and he introduced me to AD Gerry Sweeney and Clive Whitehead as I said I was away at Millwall for his debut which he scored, among others. 

He Also chatted to my Mrs for ages. Jonathon Pierce was on Brian’s right and we had a bit of a chat about the 70s as we are approximately the same age. 

If anyone on the thread knows him give him my and my Mrs regards. He will remember the bloke from Chicago I’m sure!! 

• Robin 1