IGNORED

Mehmetti

HorfieldRed

Not seen a thread mention mentioned on him regarding today. But my word what a player we have managed to acquire for such minimal cost! 

The ability to receive even sub standard passes, yet retain the ball and create chances is something I’ve witnessed from very few city players in my short experience (07/08) being my first session which did set expectations high..?

But this appears to be an equally enjoyable squad of players to watch compared to the best since my years down. Feeling wondrous after a gritty win and a good night out COYR

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

I am going to be a slight sobering voice here - I thought some of the footwork and skill was fantastic, but I do think (currently) he has a tendency, as was the case in his other home games, to go into traffic a lot and hold the ball fractionally too long. 

I think these are things that will improve the longer he’s here and reads/gets used to the other players around him, and the materials are definitely there, but if he’s still doing the above at the end of the season then it’s more of a concern.

However - undoubtedly a heck of a player, it’s more fine tuning.

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I am going to be a slight sobering voice here - I thought some of the footwork and skill was fantastic, but I do think (currently) he has a tendency, as was the case in his other home games, to go into traffic a lot and hold the ball fractionally too long. 

I think these are things that will improve the longer he’s here and reads/gets used to the other players around him, and the materials are definitely there, but if he’s still doing the above at the end of the season then it’s more of a concern.

I think we also need to bear in mind that he Will go through cold spells as all players do….we remember Massengos first month then looked what happened. Not saying this is the same but people need to slow down a bit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Yep. Said similar after the last game. He's exciting, he draws defenders towards him, he makes positive runs. All good, all things that are rare in players.

But he needs to learn to use his teammates. I'm sure he will do that, but it will take a little time.

It isn’t his flair and ability to take players on that surprised me. It is when he has a chance to make a tackle how aggressive he is in those. Or when it is kicked long to him how he bumps the defender that is jumping. Just a few little things that make him more complete than I thought he’d be. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

As usual we agree.

Would say though what technique he has, the ball sticks to him even when the pass he receives is a bit “off” & he has given us an “out” ball that we wouldn’t otherwise have had with Semenyo gone.

He’s good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He’s not even the finished article yet. We  have a real gem , another one. He reminds me of Elliason but better.

As in miles better I hope. Elliasson was a one trick pony who had no defensive side to his game whatsoever.

Mehmeti seems to be a genuine maverick type player, with an aggressive streak & not afraid to get stuck in and tackle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Totally agree , and the specially with the last bit.

My only criticism has been , he has possibly held the ball too long, with others in better positions. Maybe not spotted runs going outside him. But that will come, with games and as he grows more accustomed to how player play around him.

I've been very impressed with his work rate and chasing back, fits perfectly into how Nige has us set up now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cardy said:

As in miles better I hope. Elliasson was a one trick pony who had no defensive side to his game whatsoever.

Mehmeti seems to be a genuine maverick type player, with an aggressive streak & not afraid to get stuck in and tackle.

A one trick pony that worked time and time A game. Eliasson would be a massive asset in this side.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep. Said similar after the last game. He's exciting, he draws defenders towards him, he makes positive runs. All good, all things that are rare in players.

But he needs to learn to use his teammates. I'm sure he will do that, but it will take a little time.

I don’t think Mehmeti is alone in this as a young player. Scott made a great run in the second half on the break that was just crying out for him to the play it out side to Mehmeti but instead he ran into traffic, tried to take on 2-3 defenders at the same time and lost the ball. It’s that fine line between confidence but retaining the vision and taking sensible options - although the latter doesn’t mean constantly passing it backwards to find a man in space !

6 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I don’t think Mehmeti is alone in this as a young player. Scott made a great run in the second half on the break that was just crying out for him to the play it out side to Mehmeti but instead he ran into traffic, tried to take on 2-3 defenders at the same time and lost the ball. It’s that fine line between confidence but retaining the vision and taking sensible options - although the latter doesn’t mean constantly passing it backwards to find a man in space !

The run I think you are on about was when Scott ran into traffic with Wells IN TWENTY YARDS OF FREE SPACE to his right hand side (forget Mehmeti on his left) and a simple run in on goal (albeit Darlow is a good keeper for this level so still work to be done). I must admit an abusive comment did go out in young Alex's direction at that point..........

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks for the praise. I'm beginning to believe that when the coaching staff have taught him when to make a pass instead of trying to beat all and sundry on his own, we will have a player who will contribute a lot more than the one he has replaced, Semenyo.

He could be the "tin opener" that makes City into a team with very a realistic chance of success.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Selred said:

I can’t really say I notice the loss of Semenyo, really good business. 
Mehmeti gets me out of my seat every time he’s on the ball, what I want to see when I watch a game. 

Exactly this. And can I just add that he quickly has formed an understanding with Scott. Some of their exchanges yesterday were an absolute joy to watch.

• Like 1