IGNORED

Mehmetti

HorfieldRed

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I am going to be a slight sobering voice here - I thought some of the footwork and skill was fantastic, but I do think (currently) he has a tendency, as was the case in his other home games, to go into traffic a lot and hold the ball fractionally too long. 

I think these are things that will improve the longer he’s here and reads/gets used to the other players around him, and the materials are definitely there, but if he’s still doing the above at the end of the season then it’s more of a concern.

However - undoubtedly a heck of a player, it’s more fine tuning.

Maybe - but how many times has he hit the traffic like he's on a motorbike, jinked in and out and sped out the other side already?

We've not had a player like that for years. And now we have two, Scott and Mehmeti - two players with the skill and strength to genuinely commit players, win those tight contests and make that magic bit of space. It won't always work, but when it does....

Yes coach his decision making but don't discourage or lose that part of his game IMO.

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

Great start from the lad. He looks an exciting, talented prospect.

Championship teams will soon have a plan to neutralise his effect on games. It will be interesting to see how he adapts to this.

The good thing is..........when they put 2 on (ONE T) Mehmeti, that gives Scott, Naismith Etc ......more space to exploit?  ?   

6 hours ago, HorfieldRed said:

Not seen a thread mention mentioned on him regarding today. But my word what a player we have managed to acquire for such minimal cost! 

The ability to receive even sub standard passes, yet retain the ball and create chances is something I’ve witnessed from very few city players in my short experience (07/08) being my first session which did set expectations high..?

But this appears to be an equally enjoyable squad of players to watch compared to the best since my years down. Feeling wondrous after a gritty win and a good night out COYR

You misspelled Mehmessi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wasn't even his best game since coming here and he was still one of the best players on the pitch. That close control and ability to twist and turn with the ball just cannot be learned. It's instinctive and it means as he grows and improves other aspects of his game, he really is going to be something else. One of our most exciting signings for ages. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The run I think you are on about was when Scott ran into traffic with Wells IN TWENTY YARDS OF FREE SPACE to his right hand side (forget Mehmeti on his left) and a simple run in on goal (albeit Darlow is a good keeper for this level so still work to be done). I must admit an abusive comment did go out in young Alex's direction at that point..........

Yep, me too! And there was a similar one in the first half - don’t think that was Scott - when Mehmeti himself was in yards of space on the left and a free run on goal, and no-one spotted him. It looked to me like Mehmeti passed a few comments after that one!

So, whilst I take the point that @GrahamC and @Silvio Dante make I think I’d qualify that in two ways. Firstly, Mehmeti has the ability to run into and through trouble and create an even better opportunity when he does release the ball, but it won’t come off every time. And secondly (as per the above) this is still a set of players who are relatively new to each other and it will take time for them all to read what and where their colleagues are and what they’re expecting. Wells and Conway have that understanding - but only after the best part of a season in the U23s. 

• Like 3

Unpredictable, no idea whether he's gunna drop a shoulder and go left or right in a tight space.

He's not even rapid in comparison to other pacey wide players I've seen but he just draws defenders in and ghosts past them, must be a nightmare to defend against - one of those players like Alex Scott that seem to be quicker with the ball then without it because of their qualities on it.

He works hard, got a bit of an attitude and he's only going to get better which is scary. 

The players are giving him the ball early a lot and he's barely been here 5 minutes, says a lot about the confidence the team have in him and what he can do for us as a side.

Proper signing Nige and the recruitment team! I'd rather him being playing for us and learning his trade instead of him up against us that's for sure. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

It isn’t his flair and ability to take players on that surprised me. It is when he has a chance to make a tackle how aggressive he is in those. Or when it is kicked long to him how he bumps the defender that is jumping. Just a few little things that make him more complete than I thought he’d be. 

He reminds me of Peter Beagrie, but with the ability to actually cross it, instead of dummying the cross 8 or 9 times.  His physicality / clever use of body is very important.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

As usual we agree.

Would say though what technique he has, the ball sticks to him even when the pass he receives is a bit “off” & he has given us an “out” ball that we wouldn’t otherwise have had with Semenyo gone.

He’s good.

Yep.

He also requires little back lift on crosses.  Even the left footed one first half which cleared everyone was “got off” without a prodigious backswing.

The good thing for me is that we showed we can create down both sides.  Sykes had another really good game.

6 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

He is more than Good and his feets is fast and good. 

A couple of times i noticed him/and Scott both having really fast feet while playing the ball to each other. A shame he is cup tied.

Someone mentioned cost in the thread. I know it was a WW club record, but I noticed Norwich fans saying we paid 5M, which I don’t believe for a second, however does anyone have a actual clue

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He reminds me of Peter Beagrie, but with the ability to actually cross it, instead of dummying the cross 8 or 9 times.  His physicality / clever use of body is very important.

Yep.

He also requires little back lift on crosses.  Even the left footed one first half which cleared everyone was “got off” without a prodigious backswing.

The good thing for me is that we showed we can create down both sides.  Sykes had another really good game.

I’m being picky with Sykes , but if he could improve his decision making a bit more (which he has already since signing ) he’d be a hell of a player. He’ll get better though 

19 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A couple of times i noticed him/and Scott both having really fast feet while playing the ball to each other. A shame he is cup tied.

Someone mentioned cost in the thread. I know it was a WW club record, but I noticed Norwich fans saying we paid 5M, which I don’t believe for a second, however does anyone have a actual clue

We won't know until we see the accounts, I think. Someone on here 'itk' posted  suggested £900,000 + add-ons.

Edited by Roger Red Hat
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

16 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

We won't know until we see the accounts, I think. Someone on here 'itk' posted  suggested £900,000 + add-ons.

Someone who I trust says the release clause was met - £1m.  I trust that person because of his source.

My only reservation on the “£900k + add-ons”, is why would you commit yourself to potential costs (less profits) when you could go with a flat fee for £100k more?

So, I’m going with the £1m, but that’s not to say it’s concrete.

We will know more when the accounts come out towards the end of this year.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Someone who I trust says the release clause was met - £1m.  I trust that person because of his source.

My only reservation on the “£900k + add-ons”, is why would you commit yourself to potential costs (less profits) when you could go with a flat fee for £100k more?

So, I’m going with the £1m, but that’s not to say it’s concrete.

We will know more when the accounts come out towards the end of this year.

Thanks Dave. I would suggest if it’s 900 + add ons that could be because it all needed to be done at the death of the transfer window which would have given WW a little leverage as they could have dragged things out. A release clause was almost certainly in place for us to get him for that, but how quickly and efficiently you release anything is open to interpretation. Like anything I guess. 

Who on earth outside City and WW knew there was a release could be a factor. I can’t believe we were the only club that was watching him. 

But who knows! 

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

Thanks Dave. I would suggest if it’s 900 + add ons that could be because it all needed to be done at the death of the transfer window which would have given WW a little leverage as they could have dragged things out. A release clause was almost certainly in place for us to get him for that, but how quickly and efficiently you release anything is open to interpretation. Like anything I guess. 

Who on earth outside City and WW knew there was a release could be a factor. I can’t believe we were the only club that was watching him. 

But who knows! 

Good, valid points.

Who knows.  Exactly.

Wycombe Wanderers supporter in peace. I believe the fee was £1m for Mehmessi, a nickname given to him by us. He has been carefully nurtured by our club and is the real deal indeed, just a little surprised, as we all were, that he didn’t go to a bigger club. He definitely has the talent to be Premier bound but keep an eye out for a certain Mr Ainsworth seeking his services in the summer, and for probably double what you paid.
You have a superstar on your hands - look after him.

Good luck for the rest of the season and keep the run going!!

Edited by Dave M
Spelling
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5

8 minutes ago, Dave M said:

Wycombe Wanderers supporter in peace. I believe the fee was £1m for Mehmessi, a nickname given to him by us. He has been carefully nurtured by our club and is the real deal indeed, just a little surprised, as we all were, that he didn’t go to a bigger club. He definitely has the talent to be Premier bound but keep an eye out for a certain Mr Ainsworth seeking his services in the summer, and for probably double what you paid for. 
You have a superstar on your hands - look after him.

Thanks Dave.

Mr Ainsworth won't be able to afford him so we've no concerns where that is concerned.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1