IGNORED

Mehmetti

HorfieldRed

8 minutes ago, Dave M said:

Wycombe Wanderers supporter in peace. I believe the fee was £1m for Mehmessi, a nickname given to him by us. He has been carefully nurtured by our club and is the real deal indeed, just a little surprised, as we all were, that he didn’t go to a bigger club. He definitely has the talent to be Premier bound but keep an eye out for a certain Mr Ainsworth seeking his services in the summer, and for probably double what you paid for. 
You have a superstar on your hands - look after him.

QPR haven’t got a pot to piss in, they won’t be able to afford the fee demanded. They are also still at risk of relegation.

We aren’t the type of club to buy a player, then sell him on a few months later, especially to a smaller club like QPR.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dave M said:

Wycombe Wanderers supporter in peace. I believe the fee was £1m for Mehmessi, a nickname given to him by us. He has been carefully nurtured by our club and is the real deal indeed, just a little surprised, as we all were, that he didn’t go to a bigger club. He definitely has the talent to be Premier bound but keep an eye out for a certain Mr Ainsworth seeking his services in the summer, and for probably double what you paid.

Good luck for the rest of the season and keep the run going!!

We aren’t selling Mehmeti for £2mil. If QPR wanted to offer £10mil then we will talk. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Selred said:

We aren’t selling Mehmeti for £2mil. If QPR wanted to offer £10mil then we will talk. 

Bloody hell he’s been here 5 minutes . Why do our fans want to sell our best players all the time. If we want to get promoted in the next few years  then we have to build a squad . Not sell them off asap 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Bloody hell he’s been here 5 minutes . Why do our fans want to sell our best players all the time. If we want to get promoted in the next few years  then we have to build a squad . Not sell them off asap 

Who wants to sell him? I don’t. All I’m saying is we aren’t selling him for £2mil, like the Wycombe fan suggested we would have to watch out for. Anyone who wants him this summer would realistically need to be looking at £10mil starting.

3 hours ago, Dave M said:

Wycombe Wanderers supporter in peace. I believe the fee was £1m for Mehmessi, a nickname given to him by us. He has been carefully nurtured by our club and is the real deal indeed, just a little surprised, as we all were, that he didn’t go to a bigger club. He definitely has the talent to be Premier bound but keep an eye out for a certain Mr Ainsworth seeking his services in the summer, and for probably double what you paid.

The Wycombe fans I know were not shocked he joined us. In fact, they told me he may be joining us a full week before he eventually did. You probably dont have access, but check the transfer forum for evidence if you can... 

Fully agree he's Premier League in the making.

As for Gareth Ainsworth, if he is still QPR manager by the end of the season then he will have done well. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Thanks 1

One thing I liked about him yesterday was he seems strong too. He gives his marker a little shove to create a little more space for himself when receiving the ball. Should be a very useful player and his confidence is going to be sky-high when he bags his first goal.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

If we can sell our best players like Semenyo for 10 million and then improve our overall squad by signing players like Mehmeti and Cornick for a fraction of the cost, then I'm all for selling our best players. 

Since Semenyo has left, I've not once thought oh I wish we still had him and that's down to the excellent recruitment of Cornick and Mehmeti. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

Given how many players are improving under Pearson, Fleming and Euell, I’m very excited to see what Mehmeti becomes here.

I think Nigel and the team place a lot of emphasis on fitness and strengthening etc. I'm really excited to see the player he will be after a pre season with us and when he is more familiar with his team mates.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Since Semenyo has left, I've not once thought oh I wish we still had him and that's down to the excellent recruitment of Cornick and Mehmeti. 

I wouldn't go that far.  Against a very physical Hull backline, I wish we'd had a Semenyo able to literally bulldoze the ball into the box.  We've got some really talented forwards, but, in the absence of Conway, no one with much heft. Bell was bullied off the ball numerous times. 

It is what it is, as football managers are prone to say. We can work with the skills we have: they can outrun 'em; outfox 'em; skin 'em; nutmeg 'em and twist & turn out of trouble. We can rarely outmuscle them though. Bully our way into the box. A striker or AM who can do that may be on summer's shopping list, depending on funds available at that time. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

If we can sell our best players like Semenyo for 10 million and then improve our overall squad by signing players like Mehmeti and Cornick for a fraction of the cost, then I'm all for selling our best players. 

I'm just unsure about Cornick...

Not seeing much at the moment at all, but early days ....

Has all the feel of a 'club in the bag & not seeing where he improves us.

Looking forwards hopefully to changing my view.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I wouldn't go that far.  Against a very physical Hull backline, I wish we'd had a Semenyo able to literally bulldoze the ball into the box.  We've got some really talented forwards, but, in the absence of Conway, no one with much heft. Bell was bullied off the ball numerous times. 

It is what it is, as football managers are prone to say. We can work with the skills we have: they can outrun 'em; outfox 'em; skin 'em; nutmeg 'em and twist & turn out of trouble. We can rarely outmuscle them though. Bully our way into the box. A striker or AM who can do that may be on summer's shopping list, depending on funds available at that time. 

But instead we had Mehmeti that caused them all sorts of problems. Mehmeti has attributes that Semenyo doesn't. 

I feel like we've sold Semenyo but with Cornick and Mehmeti we have actually strengthened. Plus we still have plenty of funds left to strengthen further.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dave M said:

Why would Mehmeti go back to League One? That's the only place QPR are heading on current form.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I'm just unsure about Cornick...

Not seeing much at the moment at all, but early days ....

Has all the feel of a 'club in the bag & not seeing where he improves us.

Looking forwards hopefully to changing my view.

I think Mehmeti has come in and really hit the ground running and that has unfortunately made us all wonder why Cornick hasn't done the same. 

Some players can fit right in, others cam take a bit of time.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

But instead we had Mehmeti that caused them all sorts of problems. Mehmeti has attributes that Semenyo doesn't. 

I feel like we've sold Semenyo but with Cornick and Mehmeti we have actually strengthened. Plus we still have plenty of funds left to strengthen further.

Yeah, but we know Semenyo can cause defences all sorts of problems at Championship level. I wouldn't denigrate his effectiveness.

Mehmeti is someone who may well hit higher highs than Antoine will achieve, but we're comparing different sorts of players. As for Cornick, the jury's out on that one, as far as I'm concerned. 

Your last sentence is an important point though. The sale was necessary and it made the balance sheet look a bit brighter. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dave M said:

You can come in peace all you like but that suggestion makes literally no sense at all. Why would we sell him for £2m six months later if we also believe he's Premier League-bound eventually? Safe to say we won't be keeping an eye on shit on that one.

And how big a jump did you honestly think a £1m player from L1 was going to take in one-go? Isn't often a Premier League club will go picking up a 22y/o from L1 and integrate into the first team immediately. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He reminds me of Peter Beagrie, but with the ability to actually cross it, instead of dummying the cross 8 or 9 times.  His physicality / clever use of body is very important.

Yep.

He also requires little back lift on crosses.  Even the left footed one first half which cleared everyone was “got off” without a prodigious backswing.

The good thing for me is that we showed we can create down both sides.  Sykes had another really good game.

Did you mean Peter Beardsley? That's more the comparison I would make. :)

14 hours ago, Dave M said:

Yeah thanks for the well wishes but i lost you when you said Qpr and Ainsworth are going to offer us £2 million for a player with clear potential to be worth £15-£20 million.

We would have no reason to sell him this summer for £2million. As i said his potential far out ways that so it wouldn’t make any sense from a financial point of view - and secondly Nigel Pearson will be looking to build a team around players like Mehmeti for a push into the top 6 next season.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave M said:

Appreciate the time and effort for you to post. As others have said, some quite rudely, apologies, we'll be flogging Scott for 25m, in the past 5 years we've sold Webster for 25m, Kelly 15m Bryan 7m, Reid 10m, Semenyo 11m, Flint 8m, etc etc. There's no chance that Mehmeti would go for 2m, and most definitely not to a team with far worse FFP finances to ours, and a team below us. Although I'd argue they're historically a bigger club, they don't have money any more, and even if they did, they're in such a bad state they couldn't spend any significant money anyway.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Appreciate the time and effort for you to post. As others have said, some quite rudely, apologies, we'll be flogging Scott for 25m, in the past 5 years we've sold Webster for 25m, Kelly 15m Bryan 7m, Reid 10m, Semenyo 11m, Flint 8m, etc etc. There's no chance that Mehmeti would go for 2m, and most definitely not to a team with far worse FFP finances to ours, and a team below us. Although I'd argue they're historically a bigger club, they don't have money any more, and even if they did, they're in such a bad state they couldn't spend any significant money anyway.

Blimey.

When you see those sale figures it makes clear just what a mess Ashton ( and LJ) made of things for us to have ended up with concerns over ffp in the last couple of years !

• Like 3